Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 08:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra 'conditional' registration

Does anybody have any information about which Australian States (if any?) have a ‘conditional’ registration scheme that covers ICVs (similar scheme to that for 30+ year old vehicles, 90 days a year, on a log book, and club administered etc) ?
Any relevant web addresses?
Cheers,
Glen
Old 08-23-2011, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Hi Glen,

This wont help you in SA but for those in Vic link is provided:

Club permits : VicRoads

Enjoy
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

The Vic cobra club has club rego available. Michael Barber jumped through all the hoops to organize this for us. He's Lobelly on here.

Cheers

Old 08-23-2011, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dimis, Mike, thanks for that. We are one big, happy country aren't we? What you guys have achieved in Vic. can maybe set a precedent - or at least provide an example to argue for here is SA.
Does this really mean there is no emissions testing at all in Victoria for a vehicle that's a replica of a Classic or Historic vehicle that is at least 25 years old?
Cheers,
Glen
Old 08-23-2011, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

We also run the scheme in the NT.
I was advised I could put the Cobra on the club plates, we are slightly different to Vic in that our 90 days is broken up into 30 days free use and 60 days on club sanctioned events.
However, the NT clubs are trying to have this changed to 90 days open same as Vic.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks boxhead. 30 days plus another 60 for club events sounds good when we don't have anything at all here, unless it's the full emissions tested unlimited use thing.
I have an oldie already on club 'conditional' registration and it works really well.
If there are a number of States/Territories providing this, at least that might be a bit leverage I/we can use here....
Cheers,
Glen
Old 08-23-2011, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Does this really mean there is no emissions testing at all in Victoria for a vehicle that's a replica of a Classic or Historic vehicle that is at least 25 years old?
Glen, no emissions testing required, just a roadworthy certificate. Which probably means a lot more engine choices are available but you'd want to choose carefully if you plan to eventually go for full rego compliance.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

And an added bonus in the NT, is if you go on club rego first, there is NO stamp duty payable at point of first rego, then if at a later date you do go full rego, you do not have to pay the stamp duty as the car is already in your name.

If I had of known this at the time of my first rego, it would have saved me $1600 odd dollars.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The way I look at it, 90 days breaks down to 45 out of 52 weekends in a year. It seems to me that if SA can get a club administered scheme off the ground, it's all plusses....
Cheers,
Glen
Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
And an added bonus in the NT, is if you go on club rego first, there is NO stamp duty payable at point of first rego, then if at a later date you do go full rego, you do not have to pay the stamp duty as the car is already in your name.
Now that's what I call A Good Thing!

No stamps on club rego in Vic either. If sense prevails then neither would it apply to full rego after that point. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I bought an Australian Hot Rod magazine the other day and their opinion was the cost of the 90 day permit was more expensive than the full rego so it would be better to make the vehicle compliant in the long run.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. Smith View Post
I bought an Australian Hot Rod magazine the other day and their opinion was the cost of the 90 day permit was more expensive than the full rego so it would be better to make the vehicle compliant in the long run.
I fail to see how $129.60 is more expensive than $650 - however for a street-rod an extra certificate is required (see snip from website below) but presumably this would be a once off similar to an RWC, which you need for full rego anyway.

rather interestingly, 2x45 permits costs $0.10 more than a 90 day permit, for 10c I'd go with a 45 just in case you dont go over 45 in the year!

the requirement for a RWC is actually an RWC OR a safety letter from a club approved scrutineer.

Applying for a club permit
To apply for a Club permit you will need to complete a Club Permit Application form together with:
  • written verification by the club secretary (or person authorised by VicRoads) that the applicant for the club permit is a member of the car club
  • in the case of a club historic vehicle that is not a street rod, a current certificate of roadworthiness or a letter from a scrutineer authorised by the club, stating that the vehicle is safe for use on the road
  • in the case an application made in respect of a street rod, that is a vehicle modified in excess of the level prescribed in the Vehicle Standards Information No.8. (VSI8) document [PDF, 1.06 MB, 6pp.], a Street Rod Inspection certificate issued by Jean - Christophe Bonneville (VASS No. 1042) of Bonneville Consulting, 19 Cantala Court, Endeavour Hills, Victoria 3802. Bonneville Consulting can be contacted on Tel: 0427212464.
  • Club Permit fee - refer to Permits (Club, Rally and Unregistered Vehicle Permits)
Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The maths works out convincingly....in SA registration of a V8 engined vehicle is well in excess of $800, and conditional rego for a 30+ year old vehicle is $150
There are the other advantages as well, such as not having to prove full emissions compliance for a vehicle that in most cases would travel minimal km per year.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

I was wanting to get an UVP to bring my car home, and after this month NSW RTA re phasing out written pink slips. They will all be electronc - without a rego or VIN in the RTA system there may be no way to get a pink slip on a uncomplied car anymore - am going to check at the local RTA office this arvo on how this may be handled.

Cheers

Last edited by Tenrocca; 08-25-2011 at 07:06 PM..
Old 05-25-2012, 12:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
I fail to see how $129.60 is more expensive than $650 - however for a street-rod an extra certificate is required (see snip from website below) but presumably this would be a once off similar to an RWC, which you need for full rego anyway.

rather interestingly, 2x45 permits costs $0.10 more than a 90 day permit, for 10c I'd go with a 45 just in case you dont go over 45 in the year!

the requirement for a RWC is actually an RWC OR a safety letter from a club approved scrutineer.

Applying for a club permit
To apply for a Club permit you will need to complete a Club Permit Application form together with:
  • written verification by the club secretary (or person authorised by VicRoads) that the applicant for the club permit is a member of the car club
  • in the case of a club historic vehicle that is not a street rod, a current certificate of roadworthiness or a letter from a scrutineer authorised by the club, stating that the vehicle is safe for use on the road
  • in the case an application made in respect of a street rod, that is a vehicle modified in excess of the level prescribed in the Vehicle Standards Information No.8. (VSI8) document [PDF, 1.06 MB, 6pp.], a Street Rod Inspection certificate issued by Jean - Christophe Bonneville (VASS No. 1042) of Bonneville Consulting, 19 Cantala Court, Endeavour Hills, Victoria 3802. Bonneville Consulting can be contacted on Tel: 0427212464.
  • Club Permit fee - refer to Permits (Club, Rally and Unregistered Vehicle Permits)
So just to confirm I have this correct:

- You can build a car in your shed (I mean, this may not even be reputable kit, just some tubing welded together by Joe Blow)
- Have the basic look of a 65' Cobra
- Not have any engineer take a look at it
- Have no VIN number issued to it
- Have a Chassis number that you just made up.
- Have a carby engine with live side pipes

And all you have to do is have a club scutineer of an Vicroads approved club agree that its safe to drive on public roads? Do I really have that right?

It just seems too easy! I can just see this being taken away as fast as its become available. I'm not suggesting in anyway that shoddy cars are being driven, I doubt any club at all would risk letting them on the road and ruining it for all; just that this seems to good to be true. I mean even a streetrod needs an inspection for some modications to an otherwise factory built car.

Adam.

Last edited by zoltrix77; 05-25-2012 at 12:50 AM..
Old 05-25-2012, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Adam, you sort of have it right.
In the NT the car must pass a roadworthy inspection, the system is also administered by the club.
If the club does the wrong thing 3 times, then all club cars registered on this scheme, will have there regos canceled.

Cruising in 5th

Old 05-25-2012, 03:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Adam, in very basic terms, yes you have it right. In reality, no club is going to approve the type of vehicle you describe. Under this scheme it is effectively the club who is accepting responsibility for warranting that the car is safe (in writing), "roadworthy", not rediculous, and otherwise suitable to drive on the road. As Dave points out, if the club does the wrong thing then VicRoads can pull the permit scheme from the club, at which time all club permits issued by tha club would become void.

Vehicle acceptance under the scheme is obviously at the discretion of the club.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Adam

The roadworth is going to scotch side pipes due to noise limits and otherwise ensure the car is safe, so you have to meet some minimum requirements.

Not sure about the VIN but I am guessing one has to be issued somehow as all cars are required to have one but otherwise you can run some sort of near replica on a club permit.

So no it isn't a free for all but it does permit some relaxation on full ADR compliance.

Slo
Old 05-25-2012, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
Adam

The roadworth is going to scotch side pipes due to noise limits and otherwise ensure the car is safe, so you have to meet some minimum requirements.

Not sure about the VIN but I am guessing one has to be issued somehow as all cars are required to have one but otherwise you can run some sort of near replica on a club permit.

So no it isn't a free for all but it does permit some relaxation on full ADR compliance.

Slo
Just don't see how you could aquire a VIN if its an ICV that hasn't been engineered.

Like others have said, in reality no club is going to endorse an unsafe and silly car, its just that I am suprised that there is no actual official rule/law/whatever that prevents it from happening.

Adam.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In th NT, anyone can go to MVR and ask for a VIN number, you dont need an engineered vehicle, the number is linked to your name until you present a vehicle for rego.

But from my understanding, some cars in Vic are using "made up" numbers, or in some cases engine numbers (although I think this could be wrong as ford uses matching chassis and engine numbers) so in theory there is already a vehicle out there with that Ford number.

Side pipes are permitted up here as they are "correct for the vehicle it represents" noise needs to meet law requirements.

After saying all that i will add that I am on full rego and am proud that I did so.
A few hot rod guys in our local car club could easily put there cars on club plates, but theynallmsay, even huh the car gets used only a handful of times, they are proud of the effort they went to to get full compliance.

Cruising in 5th