Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB #145, Ford 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     

Once Again thanks M&S,

If I do end up with a 5.0 we must share that bookmarks/favourites folder you have as their evidently is some great info...I am still getting my headspace and timing around going the 5.0 option as the SC LS1 350 I had in my wagon I considered small and this would be the tiniest V8 I have ever owned.

I do not doubt for a second that impressive power can be achieved with this displacement engine, I just have to make sure I have all my ducks lined up first.

I was considering Larry's 500 cuber in WA...

1996 AC COBRA Convertible Private Cars For Sale in WA - carsales.com.au

...but I think it would be a nightmare to get ticketed in NSW.

I am keen to learn more about enhanced small block performance (yes I know the 350 chev is a SB but never had smaller than 5.7 in a V8) as this is an avenue that I have never pursued in the 5.0 range...so thanks for the input. I am still not sold on the centrifugal SC's though as they lack the Eaton opera that I loved with the Wagon from 2K Rpm upwards.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

The advantage of a centrifical over a PD is that the boost is not so aggressive in the bottom end. These cars are hard as it is to get off the line cleanly let alone with a load of low end torque.
I think you will find a cobra to be a very different animal to what you have been used to.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
I think you will find a cobra to be a very different animal to what you have been used to.

Cheers Gav and here is hoping that
Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

The red WA car is dedicated BBQ gas so that should see you pass on emissions testing.
Not sure what chassis it is, but of G Force (WA supplier) then I am pretty sure they have been certified for big block, so there is a precedence set there.
I am guessing it runs live side pipes so you will need to get a new under car system made.
No doubt. Seat change and probably one of the new SAAS ADR approved steering wheels?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Boxy...was considering this may be the case but am more concerned with the 500 CUI factor being a real issue with the NSW regulators irrespective of chassis cert. I will bent Treves ear when he has a moment as he is pretty up on the NSW interpretations and implementations of the varied ADRs.

Once again cheers for the help.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Hey Boxy....

Where's Baz???
Old 01-21-2012, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I must be getting mello in my old age Gav.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

As an ICV there is no limit on capacity of engine, however the RMS may want to pull you in to line over an engine swap in an already registered car (based on VSB14 rules).

Still waiting for an official NSW interpretation of the side pipes ADR (ADR 42/04 removes the left exit not allowed clause for MA category vehicles), and also on ADR 4/04 for using E marked harnesses. I have feedback from the Department of Infrastructure stating the ADR 4/04 belts are OK for use, and I'm confident in the requirements of the ADR for side pipes. I just want it in writing from them first.

If this avenue fails, then I will pen a letter requesting exemption and see how I go (for my side pipes and harnesses). If this comes out OK, then you will have another path to follow.

Many ways to skin a cat...

Treeve

p.s. no animals were harmed in the making of this post...
Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

wow, that 42/04 exhaust outlet change is HUGE! Yay!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi ICETOO

I had plans of putting a blower on mine before I drove it. I had a lot of it built too before I drove a blown one and changed my mind. I now believe there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

If you look at the times from Cobra track events you will find the N/A Small block cars are consistently the fastest. Big block and Blown cars are generally just too much power to keep under control for us mere mortals.

Cheers

Old 01-23-2012, 12:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Would that have fitted under your standard bonnet, Mike?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It was shaping up to all fit under there OK. The intake is at the back where there is more room. Who knows, I may still do it one day but I'd probably use a Whipple screw blower instead as they don't put as much heat into the charge and I could run without any inter-cooler.

Cheers

Old 01-23-2012, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the advice Mike,

I'll take that on board and if I end up with the 5.0 HO option, I will definitely wait to get familiar with it before doing anything radical.

I am led to believe that the factory 5.0 HO is only rated at 235 hp. I was hoping to get over 300 odd from this plant and been advised this is also achievable with head upgrades, a decent duration/lift cam and an upgraded EFI uptake manifold, short ram induction and throttle body arrangement.

Stroking, as was suggested, is another good option, and I would think that the associated compression with these engine configurations would make the forced induction option impractical.i.e klang...boom!

So the old dilemma...the preference to be blown or stroked.

BTW...does anyone one have any reliability information on the 408 CUI Windsor stoker options.

Thanks again..Adam.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Found the 302 rebuild thread...some great info to be found in amongst there, so my options are definitely open if I go this route.

Cheers Adam
Old 01-23-2012, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Adam, as I mentioned earlier, several of us have been though the same process and decided on the 302 re-build: cam, lifters, heads, Masflow, chips, etc. I also had an earlier thread on my re-build. It does produce well over the 300hp and that is lots in a car of less than 1100kg! Further, it also does not need the approval of the State authorities in QLD as a 'modification', whereas a supercharger does (or did when I enquired).

If the 302 bottom end is in good shape, you could leave it alone or rebuild that too, as Geof decided to. If I was going to do that, I would stroke it to 331 (perhaps a tiny bit more with an associated re-bore). On most accounts, that I have read, the 331 is a nice balance for the small block with good torque and also a good rev range (depending on the final drive ratio that you have). It also is said not to put as much stress on the longevity of the SB motor, as can a 347 or larger displacement.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

If the 302 bottom end is in good shape, you could leave it alone or rebuild that too, as Geof decided to. If I was going to do that, I would stroke it to 331 (perhaps a tiny bit more with an associated re-bore). On most accounts, that I have read, the 331 is a nice balance for the small block with good torque and also a good rev range (depending on the final drive ratio that you have). It also is said not to put as much stress on the longevity of the SB motor, as can a 347 or larger displacement.

I think I'd have to agree with Merv on this one....331 creates less lateral stress......and if you were going for a 347 stroker using a standard block....they are o.k. as long as you aren't wanting to do much Track work...but if you were , then go the Dart..( Dart Block).

I've FINALLY learned this the hard way after splitting TWO 347 windsors in half.

Cheers,
Warren
Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As for the 347 Ford actually made a factory version. I had an AU Falcon Pursuit 250 Ute. This was Tickford's (Pre FPV) answer to the HSV Maloo. They built factory stroker motors that made 250KW (Hence Pursuit 250) They also made a bunch of torque, somewhere around 500NM. It was a hand full in the Ute as they didn't bother with traction control which was a bit of a surprise to me considering how light the ute was in the back.

I believe this motor was officially the most powerful factory Windsor motor ford has produced. A few have found their way into Cobras.

If they can build a windsor to make this much get up and go with a factory emissisons legal motor with a warranty I reckon you could get a bunch more with extra go fast bits. This motor still had iron heads on it.

New Car Test - Ford Falcon XR8 Pursuit 250 Ute - AutoWeb New & Used Cars

Cheers

Old 01-29-2012, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: harrison
Not Ranked     

hi adam,

I have a harrison cobra that i have been going back and forth about selling for a while now, but never advertised ! (every time i went for a drive i would change my mind and want to keep it).
The car is running a 2001 4.6 dohc with upgraded hbeam rods, 11cc dished manley forged pistons, vortech sq-s trim- and 5 speed tremec. halibrand wheels, live sidepipes etc.
the car was started at quick fit motorsport in hornsby and finished off by warwick at harrisons, I know warwick would tell you anything that you needed to know.
I live a few hours north of you (near kempsey) .

This is my first time on the forum- hope i have put this in the right post!

regards

Joe
Old 01-29-2012, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Hi Joe. Welcome to the forum! I'd be keen to see how the engine bay looks with a supercharged 4.6
Got any pics?
I'd recommend starting a new "Introduction / For Sale" thread with pics, price and contact details if you've decided to sell it.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: harrison
Not Ranked     

thanks craig,

i will do that and post some photos of the engine bay when i sort out how to post them up!

It is very tight in there, i am not running an aftercooler (only 6psi boost) so that free's up a bit of space.

joe