Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default Another 1 for Icetoo

I am not sure if this one has been mentioned?
Lot 10 - Snakepit Cobra "427SC Replica" Roadster - Classic Vehicle Auctions - Shannons

One of the Coca Cola cars comming up in Sydney auction?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Good cars with a nice history.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB #145, Ford 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     

Thanks Heaps Boxy and Mervs and Sharron.

You have actually found my initial plan B, now revised to Plan A. That would be Skakepit one, and I went down and gave it a good going over a couple of weekends ago. Its a great little car, but some what mild mannered and very quiet.

The diff seemed fractionally out of alignment, but no biggy and I will have some work to do under the hood in terms of a tidy up, decent Cam, head upgrades, timing gear and also keen to go with an Eaton SC for the induction with a modified EFI to suit. (only cause I have one donated from my LS1 Adventra that is now up for sale as it isn't needed for towing my Kraken... just sold jet boat anymore).

Has anyone on board (also open to the US blokes for comment) gone the roots style SC (preferred over the centrifugal Vortec style) for the Ford 5.0 HO as I would be keen to chat and benefit from your experiences....including exhaust set up as well.

Being a low volume production car as the snake-pit's were, I have a few more options for modification in line with light vehicle mod regs than I would have with an ICV.

Hopeful I have a bit more luck with a live auction and my young Lieutenant wants to tag along for the experience (and run recon on the dodgies), although I have warned him about the looks a crusty old servicemen with a young bloke in the passenger seat would get cruising the Northern Suburbs of Sydney in a red sports car
Old 01-19-2012, 01:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Not Ranked     

I think those Coke Bottle cars are a piece of Cobra history in Australia and as low volume production vehicles they enjoy a special place. There are plenty of us who have done nice things with the Ford 5 litre motor to make it look the part and perform pretty well. I would also suggest that you look at the Kenny Bell SC's as they are compact and fit well under the Cobra bonnet. I was about to use one but went the top end/cam route instead.

At the price range suggested, that car seems very good value. Be prepared, its provenance is worth something as well.

Kenne Bell Homepage

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey...thanks M&S...those KB's look the goods with some great numbers...I am guessing that the Mustang 5.0 shown there is the coyote plant..but still in the range I was considering.

I would like to use what I have all ready got...otherwise I suppose there would be a few interested parties on LS1 forums that could help fund the KB configuration, if the Eaton 140 CUI 2300 is not compatible.

6-7 PSI is all I am after as I have injection upgrades available but maybe not a must have...Not sure with the Ford 5.0 HO set up as have never had one so as always keen on first hand experiences.

Thanks again Ads
Old 01-19-2012, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICETOO View Post
Has anyone on board (also open to the US blokes for comment) gone the roots style SC
ICE, I've always wanted a proper roots blown car and finally bit the bullet last year. Visibility in a Cobra might be an issue

I've had a B&M144 blower on a 302W. It had low rpm torque like you wouldn't believe. The offset drive (to clear the distributor) means that the blower drive / pulley will likely foul on the bonnet.

I'd use the Eaton if you have it already. The M2300 will take some fabricating, but it's a pretty wild blower!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WOW...love the old B&Ms...used to have a 6/71 on my LS6 454 20 years back...

I understand that there may be an adapter plate required and have seen some examples online from the Eaton 1900 set up. I will have to do some more homework on the injection set up though and that bonnet on the DRB snakepit will need some reworking...I so love GRP
Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Talking It can be done!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICETOO View Post
WOW...love the old B&Ms...used to have a 6/71 on my LS6 454 20 years back...
ICE if you've had and love the 6/71 ....Have a dig around and look for a V6/71 same internals...but the base plate isn't there and you can mill out and down a Bronco Lower Plenum and then weld a mounting plate on for the case....

45 +degree Dissy ,modify an old echo Whipper snipper head

Also a few injection options and the best thing is it will all fit under a COBRA BONNET with a ever so slightly bigger scoop which I reckon looks better anyway!!!

It can be done!!!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
ICE, I've always wanted a proper roots blown car and finally bit the bullet last year. Visibility in a Cobra might be an issue..
C'mon You have the perfect scoop for it !! was it really an issue!!...the only scoop i've seen bigger to yours was the WEINECK 780ci !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZCOBRA View Post
ICE if you've had and love the 6/71 ....Have a dig around and look for a V6/71 same internals...but the base plate isn't there and you can mill out and down a Bronco Lower Plenum and then weld a mounting plate on for the case....

45 +degree Dissy ,modify an old echo Whipper snipper head

Also a few injection options and the best thing is it will all fit under a COBRA BONNET with a ever so slightly bigger scoop which I reckon looks better anyway!!!

It can be done!!!!

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-19-2012, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Icetoo,
Not sure how well the 5.0ltr would go bolting on a blower.

Margaret has one of the coca cola cars and they bolted on a turbo with some good results.

If there is some money left over from the purchase i would look at stroking the windsor to 347 add some nice heads, and if the budget allows the mass flow EFI seams a good solution.

I still remember holding one of the entry forms in my hands at the local corner store.

Phil
Old 01-19-2012, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks OZ and Philm.

Definitely some other options there and I am not averse to a stroker engine either (I have the 2.4 liter big bore stroker short motor in my XR4 with all the other goodies such as stage 2 cams, OS Vvs, extratcers, sports system, OS TB, CAIS, Cosworth intake and multiple tune maps,etc).

I have been led to believe that the 347 kit (ie using a 351 Cleveland crank cut down to 3.400" stroke and a 5.400" rods),can cause a bit more oil consumption noting that the gudgeon holes intersects with the oil ring grove (due to the shorter piston to diminish side loading and possible bore elongation when using the longer rod).

Has anyone had this experience or is it circuit myth?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     
Default New technology

That used to be the case, however these days you can get purpose kits that dont have those issues.

The 347 stroker performance is like light and day comparted to the stock 5ltr.

Phil
Old 01-19-2012, 03:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Whats the history of the "snakepit" cobra. Looks like a drb?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quite a few of us (07 Cob and Mando, for example) have done the 302 or 347 rebuild with heads, cam, MasFlo EFI and so on. Mando's is brilliant.

There is another owner of a CC Cobra on this Forum:

Coca Cola Cobra`s

As I recall, there were 10 DRBs used (Mr Flatchat - earlier post?)

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.

Last edited by Merv and Sharon; 01-19-2012 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: adding info
Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Whats the history of the "snakepit" cobra. Looks like a drb?
They are DRB's

Cheers
Warren.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival 3506
Not Ranked     

Icetoo can i suggest driving it first,
A short wheel base, light weight and LSD can make a 5 Litre go like a Rocket !!!
Take it form one who had learnt a good lesson .
Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the intel guys and greats pics M&S...and wise words thanks Ptrefry...but would hate to have a cobrep that struggled to keep up with my somewhat enhanced Cosworth runabout
Old 01-19-2012, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merv and Sharon View Post
I would also suggest that you look at the Kenny Bell SC's as they are compact and fit well under the Cobra bonnet. I was about to use one but went the top end/cam route instead.
ICETOO

I also seriously considered the KB S/C. Bang for buck (at least on paper) it appeared to be up there with the best. In the end, the *traditional* look prevailed and it ended up being the Trickflow/MassFlo upgrade. Looks great (at least I reckon) and plenty of power for me - much better than the 3.0D Hilux anyway!!!

Geof
Old 01-20-2012, 12:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks 07Cob.....I suppose the lux was better of the road though...I would love to hear that someone in the world is running an Eaton 2300 at half a Bar (7.5 PSI) on a 5.0 HO and what they did to make it so...saves me some resell hassles and have some interest already on my SC....I would hate to raffle it if I can still use it.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Try this site Adam.

High Performance Technical Content - Ford Tech - FordMuscle

or more specifically

High on Carbs!" Vortech S-Trim supecharger installation. Supercharged Blow-Thru Carburetor - FordMuscle

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.

Last edited by Merv and Sharon; 01-20-2012 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: More info