Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival
Not Ranked     
Default Classic Revival Roll Bar

Hi guys & girls,

Need some help tracking down an earlier version of CR roll bar, recently ordered one from Ian at Classic to find the new one is narrower and does not have a long leg to suit the chassis tube. Ian told me the supplier does not have the older tooling. Just wondering if anyone has a surplus older style still kicking around the shed, the original was approx 163mm centreline bend rad or leg to leg centre 326 - 327mm. Checked with Uneek bending and i would need to supply SS Pipe and min setup price $300 plust program fee $25 and thats if they can produce the the rad expensive exercise for a one off. If others were in need of the older style i would be happy to here from you as it would be more benificial to get a few made if this is the only option.

Appreciate any help on this.

nigel
Old 01-29-2012, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Nigel,

Everyone I know has had the roll bar made up differently to suit their taste.

it would be worth getting a message to Aussie Mike if you are down South.

Cheers,

Ben
Old 01-29-2012, 06:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Nigel - I relocated the mount on the belt mount bracket to suit the bar I got (from Snakebite at the time - but I dont think they make them anymore?) The narrower the bar the more centered it looks as the outboard mount is too far inboard. I think mine was 300mm.

Cheers
Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

cheers guys, holes already located in body to suit receiver tubes so need to match, have drivers roll bar in place was trying to fit passenger bar, at this piont have polished caps and escuchions in place just in case i find the right fit. Have to make decision on filling holes as due to go for paint this winter.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

I have used both of these businesses and were very pleased with their work, not for roll bars but for other things. I know that they are located on the Gold Coast however a quick call will answer if they can bend to the size you are after without set up costs. Both also should be able to supply and polish tube as well.

V=http://www.protube.net.au/

Pipe Bending Services,Handrails & Balustrades Services, Metal Rolling Brisbane, Gold Coast - Tube Bend
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks leroy17 will contact both to see what they can do for me

cheers,
nigel
Old 01-29-2012, 10:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I only have dies for 1.5" in 6.5" CLR. That's 13" (330mm) center to center on the hoop. The originals were 1.5" diameter tube but it looks a bit thin to some and they prefer 1 5/8 or 2". I've been looking at getting 2" dies.

Cheers

Old 01-30-2012, 02:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

I bought roll bars from CR for my round-tube.

They cost $470 each, including the sleeved third-leg and hefty mounting plate which the third-leg welds to - these are fully functional roll bars. The mounting plate is then bolted to the chassis. This price was in mild steel.

They pipe diameter is 50mm, they are 310mm centre to centre

$470 each, mild steel, and deformed by bending.

Your quoted price in stainless sounds cheap to me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Modena; 01-30-2012 at 02:04 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2012, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival LS1 6spd
Not Ranked     

Nigel,

I purchased stainless steel tube from Fragesters in Moorabbin and had then rolled at A Bending in Dandenong. Their set up fee was about 150.00 for memory. My car is in bits at the moment being painted so you are more than welcome to borrow one for a template. You will also have to fabricate base brackets to fix the third leg through the body to the chassis, which are also floating around in the box of bits that us to be my car.

Rod
Old 01-30-2012, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I bought a pair of single hoops from a Mob in Riverstone, Sydney that build proper race roll bars and cages out of Chrome molybdenum steel tube. They are light and unbelievably strong. These are CAMS legal and incredibly light. The tube is 2" OD with a wall thickness of about 1/16" . No deformation (that would negate CAMS legality) and they cost about $250 each. they are black steel finish so need to be painted or maybe ceramic coated. I think chrome might interfere with the metal properties. The third leg is also Chrome Moly and it simply bolts to the frame by a thick plate welded into the base of the tube. If your mild steel bar is correct it must be at least 1/4" thick and be made out of hot drawn seamless steel tube or at least cold rolled and welded steel tube. The latter must be of a thicker wall.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Modena, i bought the original bar from Ian at CR that was back in 2007 and without thinking i ordered another just before christmas to find it was totally different, even Ian was surprised when i sent it back, the only thing common was the material 40NB 316 stainless its approx 49-50mm od with 3mm wall the quality was no where near as good as the one i have and at $390 i thought that i could invest in local manufacture.

Mike, my current bar is not quite 2" but would work in 2" dies i think the big issue is the die Rad that Ian had his supplier use was 6 7/16" CLR not your every day run of the mill unless you want to make your product exclusive, Ian's current bar CLR is 155mm. Let me know if you get new 2" dies. With your experience is it viable to get 330mm CL to CL cut and rejoin to reduce leg centres 4 mm and refinish/polish???? If i hadn't prepared the body holes based on drivers bar i could have got away with 330 centres, not noticeable!!!! If all else fails i'll fill inner body hole LHS and go with standard die bend available through various outlets.

Rod, i can get the 316 SS 40NB pipe ok will go and talk to A Bending to see what they can do, thaks for the offer to borrow, i do have the drivers side fitted and can use that as template.

Rob thanks for input, already have polished 316 SS drivers hoop 3mm wall can match material biggest prob is bending die with correct CLR with no deformation.

Thanks again guys for the input.

nigel
Old 01-30-2012, 02:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Modena, i bought the original bar from Ian at CR that was back in 2007 and without thinking i ordered another just before christmas to find it was totally different, even Ian was surprised when i sent it back, the only thing common was the material 40NB 316 stainless its approx 49-50mm od with 3mm wall the quality was no where near as good as the one i have and at $390 i thought that i could invest in local manufacture.

Mike, my current bar is not quite 2" but would work in 2" dies i think the big issue is the die Rad that Ian had his supplier use was 6 7/16" CLR not your every day run of the mill unless you want to make your product exclusive, Ian's current bar CLR is 155mm. Let me know if you get new 2" dies. With your experience is it viable to get 330mm CL to CL cut and rejoin to reduce leg centres 4 mm and refinish/polish???? If i hadn't prepared the body holes based on drivers bar i could have got away with 330 centres, not noticeable!!!! If all else fails i'll fill inner body hole LHS and go with standard die bend available through various outlets.

Rod, i can get the 316 SS 40NB pipe ok will go and talk to A Bending to see what they can do, thaks for the offer to borrow, i do have the drivers side fitted and can use that as template.

Rob thanks for input, already have polished 316 SS drivers hoop 3mm wall can match material biggest prob is bending die with correct CLR with no deformation.

Thanks again guys for the input.

nigel
Old 01-31-2012, 02:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

i said "mild steel" but i really dont know what type of steel they are, just not stainless!

wall thickness is 4mm
Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I must admit what Ian at CR sent me was raw SS try the magnet test it could be a 400 series grade SS that will attract a magnet as mild steel does, if magnet does't attract then its likely to be 304 or 316 grade in raw state takes a bit of polishing. Your comments and picture highlights the quality issues i had and sent it back, Ian said supplier could not see a problem, supplier obviously does own a classic vehicle.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

"couldn't see a problem" gee what a a surprise!!

Regards.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Bite your tongue David, Bite your tongue.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Bite your tongue David, Bite your tongue.
where's the fun in that
Old 02-09-2012, 01:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi All,

Just to let you know I''m in the US at the moment and dropped a pile of cash on a 2" die for my tube bender and also got all the parts to convert it to hydraulic operation. All going well I should be able to produce some acceptable looking roll hoops in stainless steel and chrome molly for very competitive prices.

The hoops will be on 330mm centers or 13" which should suit many Cobras out there.

I bought the parts mainly because I wanted to redo the hoops for my car but it would be nice to off set some of the significant outlay in tooling. There will be some work to get them looking OK but I will keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers

Old 02-09-2012, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Mike

What part of the US are you in---If anywhere in the middle I would sure make your aquaintance

Jerry
Old 02-10-2012, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Jerry,

You are a bloke I'd definitely be keen to catch up with for a few beers and a chat. What part are you in?

Our company HQ is in Huntsville Alabama and I get over there a couple of times a year. The last few trips I've been braking the journey by stopping a night in LA, Dallas or Nashville on the way in and out. It's a long flight so it gives me a chance to adjust and have a look around.

A few years back my trip lined up with DVSF in Ohio and I took a side trip to check it out. I'd be keen to do another side trip to check out a big race meet or a swap meet.

I just got back home today but I'll have to try and do something on the next trip.

Cheers