Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB #145, Ford 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
You know they used to have a "best sounding" at the nats. Won by a LS1 car a few years back.....
All things being fair and equal. I do agree that the LS1 plant can sound pretty sweet, I had one in a modified LX8 adventra a year or so ago, before I sold it.

It was feed by an Eaton 2300cc SC, had upgraded injectors, CAIS SS Inductions growler uptake and oversized 92mm throttle body, was extracted and running a duel and balanced 2 and 3/4 inch sports system.....it had a very heavy boat and trailer to tow up some steep territory in and out of Patonga...so needed the extra bang.

Above 2500 rpm though, all you could here was the Eaton..go figure...but for a heavy tank..went like a dog shot in the bum when it did not have 2100 kg plus to pull...but soaked up fuel like an Alaskan penguin with the power map active.

Still sounded unreal, but very 21st century...my own preference is still for the push rod (rather than DOHC or OHC) sixties sounding V8 for a my cobra..but each has their own preference so fair enough.

CAVEAT: I am being fair and objective here...not stirring the pot
Old 11-01-2012, 02:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Not having a go but you do realize that the LS engines are push rod motors no OHC?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv300 View Post
This is why i don't post on this forum as well.

Greg
Actually sorry to hear you say that Greg. Ive lurked on a few forums over the years, and would have to say this one is about the tamest Ive seen. (Want to see some fire works - go to Planet Rugby | Rugby Union News, Live Rugby Scores, Results & Fixtures). I cant think of too many people that have been treated unfairly in here - Ive let rip a few times but mainly just letting off a bit of steam, and most take it in the good humour that it is intended. Judging by the number of messages I get, quite a few enjoy my input.

I wouldnt post here as much as I have in the past, mainly as the car has been "finished" for some time and updates not necessary, but overall I would say the forum is not quite as interesting as it used to be - just not enough builders showing their progress. They are always the most interesting posts.

Ice, In regards to cobra sound - yet to hear any v8 through side pipes that didn't sound pretty tough (except maybe the odd turbo car) - Agreed the fords do sound better though - just not a significant issue IMHO. Ive never had any complaints about mine.

Cheers
Old 11-01-2012, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

At the only Shelbyfest I've managed to get to I was up for best sounding Cobra. It was down to me and a big Block ford powered car and the ford took it.

I don't know if mine was better sounding, I think it was just the loudest thing there. Not sure why though...

There's some very fine sounding LS motors out there too. With a cam and some free breathing pipes they sound pretty good to me.

I picked up an MS4 cam for mine and they sound nuts as well as making good numbers. Fairly stock LS1 motors i.e stock bottom end and heads are regularly making 420+ RWHP with this cam and some tuning. It's lumpy and angry but makes a good noise and good power. Can't wait to drive it again.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They both sound unreal with that CAM, mike, the vette especially.

Cheers Gav.... happy with LS series being pushrods, was more referring to not going down the over head cam/s in the modular V8 type evolution, when considering what was available in the Ford range. I should have been more specific there.

I do rely like the noise this 408 stroker makes, and that is more my preference, but I am going a bit diesel deaf so like them on the crackly side.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison supercharged
Send a message via MSN to hsv300 Send a message via Skype™ to hsv300
Not Ranked     

I have the 4.6 modular supercharged motor from the 2003/4 Mustang in my cobra sounds great i think it has the same firing order as the 5L HO motors 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.

Cheers Greg
Old 11-01-2012, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv300 View Post
I have the 4.6 modular supercharged motor from the 2003/4 Mustang in my cobra sounds great i think it has the same firing order as the 5L HO motors 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.

Cheers Greg

Thanks Greg,

1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 sounds spot on, the same as the 351 too, I think.

Any pics of how it sits in the bay, I was also thinking along the lines of the 5.4 modular and/or the coyote 5.0 at one stage, but the size of the plant, more so the heads, may make it impossible to plumb up extractors with the limited room available in what I know know is a definately a second generation DRB chassis.

Also, if you have a link to any video of your car I would be interested in seeing and hearing it.

I was looking at Joe's 4.6 SC Harrison at one stage before I bought this one, but we could not get the NSW rego certification sorted out at the time.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Tenrocca, I agree with you that it would be great if more guys posted pics of work they have been doing to their cars as well as the rest of the guys building cars from scratch. I can't remember a time that so many cars were being built and so few pics and information on their progress was being posted. The only guy that seems to be giving us detailed updates of his progress is DaveW. I reckon it's fantastic to see heaps of pics such as ICETOO recently posted. I love it when Aussie Mike posts pics of work he's carried out in the shed machining parts and how he's gone about it. I also love when some of the guys have shown us pics of the process involved in building sheds, garages, extensions and fitouts. Lately is has become very boring!
This is the only site I post on and am not a member on any other site.
You may think it's funny when you have a dig at someone but sometimes it really hurts. I remember how upset I was when you and Gavin asked me to leave the B-Club for no apparent reason, and the last time I saw you at the Nationals at Goulburn, Gavin you and myself were having a chat when you invited Gavin back to your room for some R and R. I was very hurt! I hope you guys deflated the doll and returned her to your suitcase when you finished!

Last edited by Mando; 11-01-2012 at 10:34 PM..
Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Top work Mando!

Old 11-01-2012, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Mike and I won't even share our doll with Andrew, what makes you so special Mando?