Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #120
Not Ranked     
Default Good news for a newbie

Well it has finally happened. After 18 months of begging , pleading and being a good boy, my financial controller (wife) has given me the go ahead to build a cobra kit. Happy days !!!

I have been reading this forum for a long time now and the hints, tips and advise has been amazing.

I am leaning towards a Harrison kit but have not had the opportunity to see one in person. (hopefully get there in the next few weeks) Was from NSW but currently located in Darwin so not a lot around from what i am aware of.

Due to being located in Darwin, the additional cost in freight and not being able to physically look at parts etc before ordering i was thinking whether it would be possible to install Commodore running gear, suspension, steering, brakes etc etc etc as i may have access to a wrecked VX SS (LS2) but would love to get my hands on a LS3 if the price was right.

Has anyone attempted this on a Harrison kit and if so any advise that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Will have to look at meeting the ADR's for both NT and NSW as will head back to NSW at some stage which may be a challenge.

Cheers
Luke
Old 02-29-2012, 08:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Welcome Luke (from a Harrison owner). The Harrison already has some Commodore in the front end but I am not sure about using the whole set up from a Commodore. Others will comment.

We all have lots of photos and videos taken during our builds and can help you with some aspects I am sure.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hi there MRGB.
Welcome to another local (I am down the track).

Maybe a Classic Revival would suit?
They use the Commodore suspension and brakes (I am not sure if it is VE or earlier VX/VZ though)?

But there are a few owner builders of newer CR's who will pop in and give you feedback.

Let me know if your down Alice Springs way.

If you build it to meet NSW ADR's and use a NSW engineer, then NT MVR will accept the paperwork (that is what I was advised a couple of years ago), contact Owen Dutton.
Owen Clifford-Dutton

Vehicle Standards Officer

Road Transport Division

Department of Planning and Infrastructure

Northern Territory Government

Telephone - (08) 8924 7214

Facsimile - (08) 8924 7324

Email - owen.dutton@nt.gov.au

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 02-29-2012 at 08:32 PM..
Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Welcome Luke,

Happy days indeed... & nice of you to join the party.

I look forward to seeing you put all those common-whore (ooops... Freudian slip) parts into your Harrison.

Like you I had to lobby my minister of finance for quite some time also.

I bid you all the success possible with your acquisition.

Boxhead - will no doubt chime in also being local to you*
edit - I left my PC for 5 mins to do some real work & you already beat me in

Kindest regards,

Last edited by Dimis; 02-29-2012 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: DOH... Boxhead is too quick for me...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Vx is not ls2

U mean vz or ve?
Not sure if vz is legal as the are 2006

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Guys.
The fun begins. Box head do you know of a NSW approved engineer in the NT and yes i will drop you a line if i am down that way.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Hi Mrgb
You wont find a NSW approved engineer here! Old Jack is the only local engineer you will find. Boxhead used an interstate engineer because jack can be slow. so ask him who he used.
Go to MVR and get the TAC paperwork and fill it out, you only have to comply with ADR 37/01, you can have live side pipes if they pass the noise test. VSB 14 is what MVR will ask the engineer to use as a check list, so get a copy of that.
As for kits, I went for the CR but Ive heard the Harrison is good. The new CR uses all VE running gear so the VX wont be that good other than the engine and trans.
I ended up getting a trailor and drove down to sydney to pick up my kit as NONE of the freight companys wanted to move a non going car.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Hi there Alffie, not quiet correct there,
I ended up using a new engineer in Darwin.
Anant Relekar
BEng(Mech), TMIEAust.
5-25 Bradshaw Tce, Nakara NT 0829
Mob: 0424 362 652 Fax: 08 8932 2667
E-mail: kashan15@bigpond.com

I was only charged $440 plus an airfare to Alice Springs (was cheaper than me towing Cobra to and from Darwin)

I did look at using an interstate engineer for the reason you suggested regarding Jack.
When I enquired about using interstate engineer I was advised it would be ok, due to a lack of engineers and Owen viewed it as an ADR item so in theory all engineers would view it the same.
I only suggested a NSW engineer as Luke says he may end up back in NSW.

Regarding freight, I used TNT and was billed 1 pallet from Sydney to Alice Springs (at the time that was approx $120) (I am sure they made an error here as the car was on a pallet, but overhung it by atleast a metre each end)

Yes Owen directed me to follow VSB14 Vehicle Standards Bulletin 14 (VSB 14)
This is the check list http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roa..._01Jan2011.pdf
My engineer went around teh car filling out this paperwork.
I recieved written confirmation from Owen regarding approval for live side pipes, reflective material facing driver (ie chrome screen frame, gauge bezels and steering wheel), I at the time wanted to fit only race harness's, but at the time I could not find a "precidence" of some being approved in the past (since have found a few in WA), Owen advised he would approve this if I found other vehicles that had passed with them fitted.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgb View Post
Thanks Guys.
The fun begins. Box head do you know of a NSW approved engineer in the NT and yes i will drop you a line if i am down that way.
There isnt one as far as I know, my plan at the time was to attend 2010 ShelbyFest and have engineered with Enklemanns, but I located Anant in Darwin and did it local in the end.

You may be able to convince a NSW engineer to work with you and fly them to Darwin for the final part.
With cameras, internet and email I personally think this should be feasable, just a bit more effort/cost required.

Cruising in 5th

Old 03-01-2012, 12:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Luke, the journey begins.

If you have a VX SS, then it is an LS1. No Holdens used LS2, only HSV VZ used LS2 I believe. Holden went from LS1 to L76 during the VZ run, then on to L98.

On a current iteration Classic Revival, if you stick to the "parts list" and what the chassis was designed for, then the only thing you would be using from your VX is the front knuckle/bearing, and front brakes (if you want OEM brakes). Chassis is designed with mounts for VP steering rack, and rear-end is all VE with upper arms swapped out for custom made ones.

Of course the LS1 and T-56 will also fit, as CR chassis are built by default for LSx and T-56.

Having said all that, if you want to start modifying chassis, mounts, suspension design etc, then anything is possible.

Freight to Melbourne for me back in August 2011 was $600 (door to depot), and it was almost impossible to get someone to do it - it took a lot of ringing around and convincing.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Well done Luke,

Getting your engine/trans out of a wreck does have its advantages in that you done have to source all of the engine accessories (throttle body, loom, PS pump etc) plus ECU etc - I hear they can add up.

The risk is that it might be a dud. I bought my eng/trnas and ECU and accessories out of a wreck. Still going strong. Fingers crossed.

Welcome to the forum.

Rgds

Gregg
Old 03-01-2012, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Hi Luke,

Congrats on getting approval from the financial controller.

My Harrison has a LS2/T56 combo, fits like a glove. The rear end uses a Commodore diff and driveshafts but with custom uprights.

I'm pretty happy with the combination

Cheers
Old 03-01-2012, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum Luke - and good luck with the decision, happy days ahead!

Regarding engine choice on the Harrison, Warwick sets them up for LS1/LS2/L76/L98 so no problems there. Check with your engineer about pollution requirements. Down here in Vic even an "old" LS1 should get through the IM240 test now, since the pass levels were recently lifted to double the previous amount.

I've got a VL Commodore power rack in mine, running off the stock L98 power steering pump using braided hoses and it works a treat.

I heard Warwick was organising a new mold which means the bodies should be top notch once again - apparently after doing 100+ cars the old mold was getting out of shape and panels weren't the best.

While you're checking out the Harrison I would also drop in to see Craig at Absolute Pace. Not sure whether his kits are in production yet, but they certainly looked promising and he's a great bloke to deal with.

Also if you're over 6 foot tall you might also want to look at getting the 2 or 4 inch stretched body.

Cheers
Old 03-01-2012, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for all of the feed back and apologies for the typo (meant VZ not VX).
Alffie, i heard a rumour yesterday that a certain LAME working on Darwin Airport built a replica not too long ago. Would you happen to be him? If so i am working on the same airport and would love to catch up over a beer if possible to pick your brain about a few things.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Welcome Luke - the fun begins. If you're interested in LS3 crate engines it looks like Holmart are getting some in.
SPECIALS March 12
Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi mrgb
Yeah, just happens to be a small world hey! Liam rang me and told me he gave you my number.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Luke
Did you end up buying a kit?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Alfie,

Sorry been out of action for a while. Yes i went with the Harrison kit. Should be here in Darwin in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great to hear.

I am keen to do some circuit racing at Hidden Valley (probably next year now with Goodwood trip taking priority).

So would be great to catch up with some of you Darwin mob. (Did I sound too much like a bushy then?)

Cruising in 5th

Old 10-18-2012, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Luke
How did you go with the Harrison? Have you had much progress?