Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking Another Tow vehicle in the build...

Not really sure if anyone interested or not but i'm gunna post some progress pics anyways....

Decide I needed a tow vehicle ( I tow a car trailer for work a couple of times a week about 200k round trip each time) that had a greater towing capacity than 2100kg (my VE SS sportwagon) and had more grunt than our 3 litre turbo diesel Rodeo.

What about a Rodeo, 3 tonne towing capacity, with a V8?? Can't buy it so why not build it.

So...... I have started....

Bought a written off 09 VE SS manual ute for $6k at auctions just before Xmas.

The donor vehicle complete with L98 6.0 litre and Tremec TR6060 6 speed manual

I then managed to get a 2007 Rodeo turbo diesel 4x4 that was missing on one cylinder for $12,500. Replaced a dodgy injector and good as new. Now to sell the turbo diesel engine...

Engine has now been taken out of the SS and the sell off of surplus SS parts has begun..

If ur interested i'll keep posting as it happens.... I may have a buyer for the motor & box out of the Rodeo... $4500....... fair price i think....
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Cool, when you are finished you can fit a duramax to my Pajero!!
Old 03-05-2012, 08:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Will be an interesting project, do you need to do anything to chassis to increase towing capacity?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Will be an interesting project, do you need to do anything to chassis to increase towing capacity?
Boxy the 3.0 litre intercooled Turbo Diesel (after Jan 2007) in 4X4 mode came standard from the factory with a 3000kg braked towing capacity. All others models were either 2500kg or 2000kg. Spoke to my engineer and he said the towing specs it leaves the factory with is what it keeps.... So if i put the L98 in it retains the same towing capacity.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have sourced some engine mounts from a guy in Mackay that gets them laser cut. Has made them for Hilux / Landcruiser etc but not for Rodeo. Mine is the test dummy.... or maybe that's me! Gave him the chassis width, plus a bit so there are no mistakes. I tack welded them together today so when I do get the engine in they should be easy enough to measure up, cut if necessary and weld in place when the engine is pulled out again.

cdnus likes this.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure why, but anything with a V8 conversion is instantly a cool thing. I think I'd even buy a Volvo 240 DL Wagon if someone had put a high winding small block in it...

I'm keen to see how the conversion goes. I might sit back and wait to hear your thoughts about the ECU/wiring/sensors before I do anything.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Cool project!

Keep us updated.

Ben
Old 03-07-2012, 02:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Ash, nice to see some photos of the project. Keep the updates coming...
Old 03-07-2012, 05:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not much happening at the moment. Trying to work out how to integrate the V8 fuel pump with the Diesel lift pump and trying to keep it all in the 120 litre long range tank..... It can be done.... apparently, just gotta build a surge tank inside the big tank to mount the V8 fuel pump assembly.

Mean while I have been slowly removing all the 'good bits' for later sale on flea bay....

Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

The only 'good' bit I see in that photo is the Kubota? tractor
Old 03-07-2012, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
I'm not sure why, but anything with a V8 conversion is instantly a cool thing. I think I'd even buy a Volvo 240 DL Wagon if someone had put a high winding small block in it...
Craig, in the 80's I very nearly bought a '69 Volvo 142 with a 302 for the hell of it. Conversion was a bit dodgy though.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1995 Snake Pit DRB "Coca Cola" , 5.0 LT HO , T5
Not Ranked     

Sounds like a pretty cool project but what about the Rodeos diff? will you need to change the ratio? surely it wouldnt be compatible with the higher revving V8 will it?? Id imagine 1st and 2nd gear would be almost useless and wouldnt you be revving way too high at highway speeds?
Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

With the TR6060 and its nice tall overdrive, that will work very well with the 4.3:1 (if standard) rear ratio.

First gear will then make it nice and easy on the clutch to not have to slip it much while crawling along in traffic or through the pits.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1995 Snake Pit DRB "Coca Cola" , 5.0 LT HO , T5
Not Ranked     

Quote:
With the TR6060 and its nice tall overdrive, that will work very well with the 4.3:1 (if standard) rear ratio.

First gear will then make it nice and easy on the clutch to not have to slip it much while crawling along in traffic or through the pits.
Wow, well if thats the case it sounds like its going to be an awesome project Cant wait to see the updates....
Old 03-08-2012, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:

That's right Craig, I did quite a bit of research on gearing before I decided to start. The Rodeo has quite a few different reatios depending on engine and drive ie 4x2 or 4x4. Diesel 4x4 ratio (4.3) makes it about 1750rpm @ 100 which is pretty good. It is a TR6060 tremec so the ratios are a bit different to the T56, really good down low in first gear and .57 in 6th.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Prick of a job getting dash and other accessories to work
U might have to pay someone to sit and work it out
Gets expensive hehehehehehe

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow View Post
Prick of a job getting dash and other accessories to work
U might have to pay someone to sit and work it out
Gets expensive hehehehehehe
Cheers Jim,
Yes I know..... Already been emailing some carnival clown..... apparently he's gunna have a look at it for me.... lives on the Gold Coast too....
Old 03-08-2012, 10:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

I think its a great project....as a tow vehicle the L98 is going to have plenty of grunt..all the best with keeping the fuel up to it.. I have a ve caprice it had a tow bar on it when I bought it. I was stuck one day and had to use it to tow an enclosed trailer no trouble for it to use 25lt/100k's when it normally runs along at around 9-10... the 3.0l diesel hilux I have however pulls the same trailer and uses around 14 - 15 lt/100k
Cheers all the best with the build
Old 03-08-2012, 11:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-460 View Post
I think its a great project....as a tow vehicle the L98 is going to have plenty of grunt..all the best with keeping the fuel up to it.. I have a ve caprice it had a tow bar on it when I bought it. I was stuck one day and had to use it to tow an enclosed trailer no trouble for it to use 25lt/100k's when it normally runs along at around 9-10... the 3.0l diesel hilux I have however pulls the same trailer and uses around 14 - 15 lt/100k
Cheers all the best with the build
I currently tow an enclosed trailer with a VE sports wagon SS & it averaged 17.5 l/100 last trip to the nationals. Its not really the fuel economy but a relatively inexpensive tow vehicle that can tow 3 ton & has plenty of grunt. The diesel just doesn't have the power when u put the weight on the back.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

yes they all think im a carnie at day care when i drop off kids cause they see my work
shirt and see sideshow and think im from the circus heheh

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au