Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     
Talking spring rates

ive just rang KING springs to find out how to get the correct rated springs
i was told they make to your requirements
my question is how to find this ??
i told them i was running jag front & rear ends with a corner weight of 250 to 260 kgs & asked how to work out a spring rate
the phone when silient .. to the reply is ' we need to know what inch /pound rebound rate is then we will make them to suit your requirements
s@#t what a waste of time !!
so does any one have a formula to work this out or is it a try /try again or do i just get a coil over shock [ avo's ]any help please
ROB
Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Check out these.
https://www.box.com/shared/gcuutlsgbd

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I have changed a few Jag suspended cars back to stock E-type springs from heavy duty versions as they work well with cars of this weight. Coil springs on the back measure 7/16" dia wire standard with 1/2" for heavy duty, torsion bars measure .785" dia stock with .865" being the HD version.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Years ago I spoke to the manager at King springs and he admitted then that they didn't know how to make springs to a required rate. ( I hoped they might have learned by now) He admitted that they just copy the OEM wire sizes and just make them shorter or longer.
I ended up doing a lot of maths with an old engineering formula. There are several "calculators" on the net....much easier !
Old 06-22-2012, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

I used QA1 springs from Summit. They have been better than the Kings I had. Rate depends on many things. How vertical are the mounts? Don't use AVOs.

There is this thread on spring rates from earlier this year: Spring rates

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Try calling eibach instead. I have heard they are really good to deal with.
Also talk to other people with your chassis.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks for all your in put i think ill just buy some qa1'sfrom summit
after some more wasted phone calls to day i think most suppliers dont have an idea ether & just want to sellyou what ever
most common responce was " this is my best guess ; i'd probaly use bahbahbah "
& the second was " i heard these will probaly do the job ""

rob
Old 06-23-2012, 02:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

I've just been through the spring thing lately for the rear of mine. I needed to gain another inch for ground clearance rules and practicallity so called Kings fron work and was told to meausre the spring in situ then jack it under the body to desired height and measure again, send them the coilover in a box and they would figure the weight from it and sort it. They sounded like they had a fair clue what I wanted and how to do it.
The Cobra has monroe gt gas touring shocks on it that date way back but never been driven on but the design wouldn't allow for a qik fit adjustable thread kit to fit over the bottom mount pont or poly spacer discs.
Being good at pulling stuff apart I did that, after measuring current and desired spring lengths. After compressing the coil enough I could move the spring base plate and get to the external circlip that holds the base plate at height. Get that off and it all comes down to where the circlip groove is located.
I called Fulcrum who we deal with several times weekly and always find them good value for assistance, asked them about bilstiens, same deal as the monroes, the bilstien has one circlip groove also, but there is a jag guy somewhere who orders his with the groove 10mm different, but this also seemed too hard as the groove Maybe at the same spot.
I was just about to sling the coin and go the QA1's when a guy in town offered to lathe new circlip grooves, so we did 1 groove 15mm higher and 1 at 25mm higher which gives me a passable ground clearance. It's not the most efficient way probably, I don't yet know how the car will ride but that was also a reason I didn't want to spend up on suspension yet.
At the end of it all, $100 for the lathe work on 4 shocks. I had other options but this will get me plated.
The good bit is, if it rides OK and then I want it lowered a wee bit I just move the circlip to the extra new groove.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovationinnov View Post
thanks for all your in put i think ill just buy some qa1'sfrom summit
after some more wasted phone calls to day i think most suppliers dont have an idea ether & just want to sellyou what ever
most common responce was " this is my best guess ; i'd probaly use bahbahbah "
& the second was " i heard these will probaly do the job ""

rob
Rob, I'm hearing what you're saying, but mostly they are distributors.
I have always found that if a car is on road (so to speak) it's easier for a good suspension bloke to get it where you expect it.
I'd hate to see you spend a motza to have to do it again later.
I am however very very sure there are others out there brighter than me that can give you the answer in part numbers.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Best bet is to ask others with the same chassis as you, and even ride in their cars for a bit if possible, then modify from there. As you're running Jag front and rear I would think many more people on here would have chimed in with that they're running on their Jag setups. As far as brand goes any reputable brand should probably be ok (such as Eibach or QA1).

Personally I'm getting Hyperco springs, they are used and recommended by Penske. Hyperco make all the springs for F1 so I'm told, and many top teams in other motorsport. Welcome to Hyperco | High Performance Coil Springs & Suspension Components You can get them from NT Tyres in Adelaide.

Also you haven't mentioned what shocks you have?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

modena i have koni shocks for front & rear had monroes for both but sold them to a friend for there jag as they needed them yeserday so to speak
the koni's are stanard ride lenth for jag
Old 06-23-2012, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Rob, I played around with King Springs and even 'keeper springs' to ensure that on full droop they had correct/some tension. A critical factor is the length of the spring in relation to the shock and suspension travel. You want the shock to operate over most of its range, not be wound right up because the spring is too short.

There may also be a front to rear difference in spring and shock length, depending on your suspension set up. My springs are more vertical now than before and that changes the equation again. As Ben has said, I would have a chat with the guys who have the same suspension. I have my old King springs, if you want to play around with them.

If you don't want to deal with Summit, try The Car Shop in Moline. I found they were cheaper on many items and gave great service and advice. (High Performance Parts & Accessories - Car Shop Inc. )

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BBF 545 Stroker Alloy Heads Roller Cam Aluminium Flywheel Twin plate Clutch TKO600 9inch Independent Rear 335x17 Rear 315x17 Front 1140kg
Not Ranked     

You also need to look at the size of your sway bars... the heavier the sway bar means you can back off slightly on your spring poundage...you need to get the right balance you need to look at the whole picture not just the pounds on the springs...Talk to someone with a similar car.....
Old 06-26-2012, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rob, you dont need springs yet,
You need to get the car first.
LOL
Old 06-27-2012, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ah ah stan get back to your shed & do some work on yours
Old 06-28-2012, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Venom, BF XR8 260kw, 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Anyone wanna go for a drive? HAHAHAHA

You both better get into the shed! HAHAHAHA
Old 02-10-2013, 01:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

well guys i.m no better off as i still after a size or product no# for coil springs for the front
as some have suggested i need to talk to members with the same chassis & now there is only 3 i know of myself , sjelby & sevenohms all have different front ends so !!!
HELP
ROB
Old 03-29-2013, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G Force with Ford 302 EFi
Not Ranked     

Hi Not sure if you have your springs sorted yet, SA Springs in Aderlaide have off the shelf for Jag suspension on Cobras, I got mine and the quality is 1st Class and powder coated I think I paid $60 each for them, hope this helps! Mark.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: contemporary(2) one with 427 sohc and one with 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

I'm using 300 lb. springs on my Contemporary with Jaguar rear set up. Four shocks on the rear. Keep in mind the more angle that your shocks are at the higher the spring rated needed. I used Qa1 adjustable shocks with spring adjustment.Bought everything from Summit Racing.