Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

...and while the GRP Body is DRB, everything else comes from a variety of donors, including numerous models of Holden's,Fords, a Nissan, a triumph, land rovers, various kit components from different suppliers and lot of hand fabricated components, rather than the traditional DIY DRB kit from scratch (this is why a build log would have been great as the engineers report is too broad to go into every individual specific)...hence the term One of a Kind BITZA, so why would I be disrespecting DRB, that looks as tidy as they one I own.

The car is original to itself as there is not another like it, and the term hybrid would suggest electric propulsion in additional, but to keep the puritans happy, I will change BITZA to fusion.

Mate,

If you have a DRB chassis, DRB body and Torana based suspension then your car is a DRB! There are some really nice DRB's out there, and certainly some that are more highly modified than yours.

Why pretend it is anything different?

Cheers,

Ben
Old 10-29-2012, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB #145, Ford 5.0 HO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
you could even give it a name, 'Slider' immediatly comes to mind, not sure why...
I am sure that is meant in the nicest possible way.

Engineers cert only mentions vehicle markings are compliant in terms of chassis, steering is torana, front end is torana/HQ combo, rear end is VP LSD and rear end, engine and box are from 94 mustang, body is mentioned as GRP kit.

I am waiting to here back from the original builder as to what chassis he used, as all I can recall him saying at the time "something American or American something" and "one of the better ones going around" or words to that effect, so there is no pretense as only the steering and parts of the front end are torana, so I do not know. Maybe he was mis representing or I mis heard what he said. This is the side effect of buying a pre-built car.

If I had the time I would built from scratch, but with limited time at home, family and home comes first, cars second, so I will evolve the car instead and finish the restoration of the Mach one for the next 5 years.

When I have done my 35 years with work and retire in 14 years, I may build one then, but I can just imagine what the compliance will be like in 2027.

I like my car a lot, and am planning further improvements, so I am going to have a chat with a Eng signatory about some Skyline GTR brakes/suspension modifications and what we need to do to get this happening and certified, once I get this one baselined...before making anymore engine changes...as the braking and traction do need some attention to get into the 21st century

So...I guess there is no new news from Chromefest.

Last edited by ICETOO; 10-29-2012 at 03:41 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 05:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hang on, it's a DRB isn't it? That means a DRB body and chassis. There shouldn't be any need to reverse engineer what you have. It'll be pretty obvious it's a DRB just from looking undeneath.

DRB is the most prolific builder of Cobra kits in Australia. They are all built on a Jig so the DRB Chassis are all pretty much the same with only minor chages over time for that series (before they switched to Jag donor DRB2000 kit).

The big advantage of having them all built on the same jig with the same chassis design means they can supply the torsion and beaming report with the kit. That saves the builder a big engineering expense.

The DRB the chassis comes bonded to the body in the kit from the factory. The torana front and rear ends just bolt in.

Your VP LSD diff with be a live axle from a VP commodore with the mounts welded on to match the torana mounts. It's a common upgrade as the original Torana Banjo diff is a bit weak.

The Torana used a triangle 4 link setup in the back much the same as a HQ with angled top links so eliminating the need for a track locater.

There are plenty of people on here who can share pics of their chassis to compare. Can you snap a few pics of the underside to confirm?

There should also be a DRB chassis number you could reference and get more detail on what you have from DRB.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 10-29-2012 at 05:48 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICETOO View Post
I am waiting to here back from the original builder as to what chassis he used, as all I can recall him saying at the time "something American or American something" and "one of the better ones going around" or words to that effect,
I'd be careful of that. "Something American" doesn't always mean better. Many of the American chassis will struggle to meet our stringent torsion and beaming reqirements in Australia. The original round tube lader style frame won't meet them without extra bracing.

Cheers

Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
Hang on, it's a DRB isn't it? That means a DRB body and chassis. There shouldn't be any need to reverse engineer what you have. It'll be pretty obvious it's a DRB just from looking undeneath.

DRB is the most prolific builder of Cobra kits in Australia. They are all built on a Jig so the DRB Chassis are all pretty much the same with only minor chages over time for that series (before they switched to Jag donor DRB2000 kit).

The big advantage of having them all built on the same jig with the same chassis design means they can supply the torsion and beaming report with the kit. That saves the builder a big engineering expense.

The DRB the chassis comes bonded to the body in the kit from the factory. The torana front and rear ends just bolt in.

Your VP LSD diff with be a live axle from a VP commodore with the mounts welded on to match the torana mounts. It's a common upgrade as the original Torana Banjo diff is a bit weak.

The Torana used a triangle 4 link setup in the back much the same as a HQ with angled top links so eliminating the need for a track locater.

There are plenty of people on here who can share pics of their chassis to compare. Can you snap a few pics of the underside to confirm?

There should also be a DRB chassis number you could reference and get more detail on what you have from DRB.

Cheers

Amen,
Thank you preacher Mikey for explaining what is really a simple issue.
BJ's Snake likes this.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default On Fire

Gav,

You are on fire, some of your best work,,......

STIFFY
Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Mike, very helpful. I will touch base with DRB and see what I can get.

Have not been able to get back in touch with the builder, but he did say at the time the body arrived later than the chassis...so who knows, he does, but his wife was very unwell at the time hence his reason for selling, so hoping all is OK there.

As far as posting pics, I wont bother, as they have had enough food all ready.

and need a diet.....

I will just do like I do at shows and agree with what everyone else says about the car, irrespective of differences in opinion and the fact they know someone with an original...yep, sure, if you say so.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

nouf said
Old 10-30-2012, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Trolls?????? Your kidding right?

Troll - "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response".

Ill give you "off topic", but there is absolutely nothing inflammatory about calling Bull5h1t on your ridiculous claim your DRB had a American Shelby chassis, because the previous owner put a $20 plaque on the firewall. Its a wonder you know which boats to shoot at.
Gav likes this.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX3021 Keith Craft 428fe
Not Ranked     

Haha, our fellow mongrel kit car owners are a sensitive bunch.
For what its worth, I reckon us calling our bitza conglomeration of parts a "cobra replica" only because it has a similar looking body on it is stretching things a little anyway. I'm sure Glen Gasolene's Replica GTHO won't have a Torana rear end, commodore front end and Toyota motor. Come to think of it, that would be some damn fine pony. Who wants to go into business making GTHO kit cars....think it would sell ? ?
Tenrocca, does your profile say "Australia's most original cobra" What the *#?* does that mean? Haven't you got a Holden motor in yours?
Well there's some burley, lets see what fish take the bait.
Ice, sorry for getting off post, but this is soooo much fun :-)
Old 10-30-2012, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
Tenrocca, does your profile say "Australia's most original cobra" What the *#?* does that mean? Haven't you got a Holden motor in yours?
Well there's some burley, lets see what fish take the bait.
Ice, sorry for getting off post, but this is soooo much fun :-)
Thanks for your input Tengu

I make no claims and certainly wouldn't lie about my car - it is simply a sh1t stir over an award bestowed upon the concrete truck at the Cobra Nationals a few years back. Some of us "trolls" that have been here on CC more than 5 minutes would understand.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Edited due to double up

Last edited by ICETOO; 10-30-2012 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: Browser double up
Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sure what ever they reckon, anyhow, no worries Tengu, it was great to catch up with you again and the rest of the coast's cobra crew, got to be getting near twenty or so now, and trust you enjoyed the show.

The express advocate ran a small column on the event on page three of Tuesdays rag, stating that in excess of 550 cars on display and over 55000 people attended the event over the weekend.

The Entrance economy was reported as booming and the local chamber of commerce is hoping to surpass these figures next year.

No results up anywhere yet though, but congrats to Californian Crusin' and their partners for putting in the effort for a great event.

For those entering next year, register early for the best location as the shows spans over half the entrance and the main action is at memorial park.

Cheers AdZ
Old 10-30-2012, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Aaaah I get it. Didn't make the connection with the "blue circle" bit. I was picturing a really cool show car with some sort of exotic blue paint. I've been across the US side of things as a guest for along time before joining up.. at least 7 minutes.I will cop the newbie remark on the chin, I have no comeback for that.... if I can only think of something clever.....nope ....can't think think of anything :-)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
Aaaah I get it. Didn't make the connection with the "blue circle" bit. I was picturing a really cool show car with some sort of exotic blue paint. I've been across the US side of things as a guest for along time before joining up.. at least 7 minutes.I will cop the newbie remark on the chin, I have no comeback for that.... if I can only think of something clever.....nope ....can't think think of anything :-)
Dont worry mate, your not alone in not saying anything clever on this thread

Love the Contemporary BTW - how about some more pics of that one!

Cheers.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You let me off the hook a little easy there Tenrocca, much appreciated.
I will post some photos of the CCX, gotta work out how.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Still waiting for the event co-coordinators to post results...

However some great pics of the event over on LS1 forums....nicely done Pugz....some great event coverage....

Chromefest 2012(PIC Intensive)

Last edited by ICETOO; 11-01-2012 at 01:00 AM..
Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Who cares about results..... there are some absolutly stunning vehicles there.........would have been an awesome show to be at and see that variety..........I would be very happy to have many in my garage.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Tengu's Contemporary Classic

Photos of Contemporary Classic CCX3021 as requested.
If I could take more flattering photos like Icetoo, there would be more..

Last edited by Tengu; 11-01-2012 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Photo issues
Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks Great Mike, and I love the garage too! (I am guessing this is an on arrival shot, however a few of our lads have made some awesome workshops out of shipping containers).

Mate, the Samsung galaxy phone on auto and auto correct on MS picture manager, is the limit to my photo expertise. I think have the trick is to take a lot and post the good ones.

Can not wait too see it on the odd coast run.

Last edited by ICETOO; 11-01-2012 at 05:29 PM..