Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default New and doing research.

Hi from the West.

I am in Perth, WA, and have been searching and see that locally we have G-force and an agent for Factory five USA, and then all the Eastern states makers. So how does a person choose, all I know is to avoid Mr ##cker
from V##om. I would lean towards Chevy power, otherwise I am at a loss, any advise is most welcome.

I have read a lot of posts here, but mostly applies to folk on the East.

Cheers

Last edited by puttputt; 11-15-2012 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Lousy title
Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Pm sent to you
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some kind of FORD thingy, with several pis tins, twin chain driven SUs feeding a Y block, apparently.
Not Ranked     

Dont forget RMC, replica motor company, their factory workshop is in perth.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

There's plenty of folks on the east coast that have built kits from the west coast and vice versa. Don't let the location of the dealer slow you down. Plenty of kits have been shipped from one side of this wide brown land to the other.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

WA regulations appear to be at a similar wave length to NT ones.
I would get to a club meeting first, look at the different shapes and decide which one you find most appealing.

Having a local agent no doubt might make life easier, but not a requirement.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys,

I would prefer going local if possible, for starters it would save me a couple of thousand on transport, and buying parts is so hard coast to coast, it is so much easier to go to the factory, and see the part to make sure it is what I want.

I would need a real compelling reason to order from the east.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I will try find out about RMC, their website doesn't seem to be active, clicking on anything ends up 'not available'.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 S/C W/Holmon Moody Original Nascar build #508 Iron Block/heads (C5AE-H) Bal/Blu 427 Sideoiler; 780 Holley Dbl. Pump; 4 Speed Top Loader; AP Racing Bks; IRS; 15" Trigo pins
Not Ranked     
Lightbulb

A Chebbie in a Ford Icon! Oh the Shame! But each to his own, thats the beauty of the Kit format. I know the cost of shipping from the US is more than local built. Also, as I don't know your local builders. I only feel secure in offering opions on those that I am aware of. FFR builds a top quality kit & the new MKIV body is the most accurate reproduction of a original AC roadster, FFR has ever done! It's not exact like a ERA, CSX, or KMC; but its close! and has a wicked good frame/foundation to build from. If you are looking for top US builders. I would offer this list. For Alum. body AC's/rollers: (1) KMC (2) CSX (3)SPF. For top Fiberglass AC/rollers: (1)ERA (2)CSX (3)KMC (4)SPF (5) Unique. For top kit builders/non rollers: (1) FFR (2) assorted, including some of the above. Be aware most of the above listed are not truly kit builders, they build factory rollers or turnkeys. IMHO; FFR is the best true kit builder out there! Just about every builder listed offerings will be in excess of $50K to 100K+ finished. Except the FFR! For the cash, quality, & delivery (kit) time est. FFR is #1 for the true gearhead. I most likely started a firestorm with my picks, but there they are! Enjoy M8.

WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION THERE IS NO CURE!
Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttputt View Post
I will try find out about RMC, their website doesn't seem to be active, clicking on anything ends up 'not available'.
If you do get in touch with RMC... Let us all know what's going on there. When I bought my RMC bits. Mike Moylan (the original builder) told me..."If you need a build manual, then you shouldn't be attempting to build a car." I didn't need a manual because I re-did everything anyway. I hope they are a bit better nowadays. Nothing wrong with the car originally. Just not how I would have done it.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks guys,

I would prefer going local if possible, for starters it would save me a couple of thousand on transport, and buying parts is so hard coast to coast, it is so much easier to go to the factory, and see the part to make sure it is what I want.

Welcome to the forum.

After the kit purchase 90% of the rest of the stuff you will need to buy will be pretty universal between kits.

A real compelling reason - the 3 best manufacturers are on the east coast (IMO). Harrison, Classic Revival, and Pace (Yet to see a pace 427 - not in full production yet? - but should be a very good car based on what they are doing up their)

Cheers
Old 11-12-2012, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Yes, I agree that the kit if it comes from the east coast - transport cost taken into account - would be a viable option as all parts are readily available anywhere or via post freight.

Most rolling kits need the standard bolt on items - windscreen, headlights, tailights, number plate brackets, jacks or over riders etc etc.

The cheaper way to transport - cost - would be a roller less wheels on a basic pallet with adhesive plastic wrap for protection. If you decide to buy from the east coast.

Mention was made of FFR - Factory Five - there. Check out who is selling these cars. I have seen a number of the FFR cars and driven one at Midstates raceway. They are well made and use donour parts that are readily available. FFR run a comp series in the USA.

If you contact the Smiths at FFR they will send you a DVD or their cars and brochures. I am sure their distributor is in your backyard..

Good luck in the search.

PM sent
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 11-12-2012 at 12:10 PM..
Old 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

Mine came from Sydney to Alice Springs on a pallet.
I used Northline Freight.
I am sure they made an error at billing time, as only charged me for 1 pallet freight, $150 odd dollars from memory. :-)

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks guys,

The body shell on the G-Force is very nice. Definitely worth checking out.

Cheers

Old 11-12-2012, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Welcome aboard Puttputt,

Good luck with your choice.
To be honest it would be difficult to make a bad one with those kits already mentioned.

My 2-cents before deciding is to make sure you are comfortable with the company/people you are dealing with. You may have to contact them repeatedly over the course of your build. It makes it easier if you have a good rapport with them and they have good customer relations.

Depending on how much building you want to do there's one that hasn't been mentioned yet - SPF.

There is one out your way, owned by Paul (aka - Heidelberg on CC) done by a guy also out your way - Marksworkshop - See links:

NBI'm not ashamed to admit this is one of my personal fav builds, I like to make reference to it at every opportunity.

Marks Workshop

LS7 SUPERFORMANCE COBRA - YouTube

--

PS: On a good day, your name hints at my golfing prowess. On those regular days it's more like Putt, putt, putt, putt... Dam! Lets just pretend in when in

--
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Mine came from Sydney to Alice Springs on a pallet.
I used Northline Freight. I am sure they made an error at billing time, as only charged me for 1 pallet freight, $150 odd dollars from memory. :-)
No kidding!?
It can cost me that much and more to ship smaller items half the distance
Old 11-13-2012, 02:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

this photo comparison might interest you, open to personal opinions;

Australian Cobras a photo comparison?

mine cost me $600 to freight on a pallet from Sydney to Melbourne, that was to the depot, and it was difficult to find someone at all who would freight it;

Old 11-13-2012, 03:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the input, I am so glad I found this site, I phoned RMC and had a chat, I will go and have a look. So far I do like the look and specs of the Classic revival.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ouch, just got a qoute from NorthLine to freight Body and chassis on a pallet from Sydney to their Perth depot, $2500.00 !!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

As much as it might hurt now, my advice would be dont let a once off freight cost make your decision for you. If a local shop is important to you then ok, but dont choose a supplier based off freight cost, its not much coin in the scheme of the overall build (dont know about US freight cost but you seem to be talking aussie kit anyway)

Ben
Old 11-13-2012, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Nah try WA freightliners, just cost me $1300 to have a Gt40 body chassis on a pallet shipped from QLD to WA.

I wouldn't let saving a few grand on freight make my decision. Although G Force make a good Cobra ,except for the fact they use old Jag stuff for driveline which may be expensive and hard to get.

FFR make a comprehensive kit, I know I built and regoed a FFR Coupe a few years ago, downside was a lot of the parts where cheap and the body fit was not the best. But in the end a solid car.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah, I gotta say the initial cost and freight, is a drop in the ocean.
When I bought my CR, it was one of the more expensive kits (I havent done any price checks recently so not sure if it is still the case), but my completed price was a lot lower than other kits, also having the body already bonded together and parts swinging, made life alot easier.

Cruising in 5th