Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree349Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 07:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for the comments.

For the cost JC it should be "top notch", sold a kidney to afford this lot - lol

But then you only really do this once and when in use we wanted it both functional and looking good.

There is some gap filling needed but I'll source black or dark blue EVA foam to make small seals to improve water deflection and so as not to damage the paint.

Mick

Marty G - Kenmer made me up the whole soft top hood bow, door frames and windscreen attachments in one hit to make sure it all went together properly. The door frames are located by two pins into the door and that wide bottom strip provides weather protection and additional stability in-situ. They don't move too much.

Driving home last night with the roof up the top was very taught and I couldn't fault the job from a use perspective.

Double GG - yes Blackmans fully covered the door frames and made up the sliding window arrangement, the felt needs to loosen up a touch otherwise they work well.

Boxxy - I'll be delivering the car intact with the bolt on fittings attached so that O'Briens have no excuse for mucking up the repair.

Not sure if it might have been the tension on the soft top to screen lockdowns that set off the crack. I have backed off the lever tensions a tad.

Cheers
schipps likes this.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Tonneau test fit

I test fitted the tonneau this morning and was again happy with the result as seen below.

Full tonneau fit

Blackmans made a small window to maintain rear brake light functionality and also needed to do some good fitting around the roll bars.

I also wanted it practically usable in half form thus:

And so I can fold or roll the drivers half and tuck it behind the passenger's seat. This will help with retaining cabin heat in the car in the milder months.

Interestingly the underside of all the metal clips on the tops are not covered so am wondering whether this poses some risk of damaging the paint over time. Might ask Blackmans whether there is some simply fix to cover these. Thin felt would be the go I'd have thought.

Anyway this now just leaves me the boot to finish but this is going to be a slow job, finding the time mainly being the issue.

But time to get the screen fixed and play on now.

Enjoy
LoBelly and dallas_ like this.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Clutch & Brake pedals and suspension

A long time between updates driven by other distractions.

Finally got my head into the driver's footwell and have adjusted up the brake to actuate earlier on the pedal stroke. It had too long a pedal for my liking and now it seems more reasonable.

Started on the clutch revamp and have organised my old 3/4" slave to be sleeved out to 7/8". This after discovering my 5/8" master can not go any smaller. But the master push rod alignment was well out and had prematurely worn part of the bore, so bought a replacement.

This led to some work to improve alignment and I ended up drilling a new attachment hole in the brake pedal some 8mm higher on the pedal. This has essentially been the only change to clutch set up so far. I knew this would improve my pedal leverage but it has surprisingly softened the pedal.

Am still going to try the replacement slave once done just to see what this change in hydraulic advantage brings. But at worst I can now live with the pedal strength I have now achieved.

Also been considering shockers for a suspension upgrade. Now I'll most likely go with the flow and get single adjustable QA1's. This both because few of the higher quality shockers I was looking at do single adjust-ability and because their pricing is about double.

QA1's will be streets ahead of the monroes currently in the car.

Also added 6mm of spacers to the four rear springs after repeatedly bottoming out on drives around the yarra valley. Gained 30mm height in the rear and no longer belt things in passing. Another reason for coil overs to come.

Am also on the hunt for an XJ40 rear to set up outboard discs. Once done I'll then be able to order good quality rims instead of the square Neales Wheel rims I am currently using.

No pics sorry but enjoy!
deano59, stiffy, Gav and 1 others like this.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Next Phases of development

As an ongoing WIP, the next phases of change for the Slow mobile are being progressed.

Most current oddity is getting Marty to finish off my tow bar attachment, so that I can attach a bike rack to carry the road bike. Want this to head down to Torquay in March for the Otway Classic.

I have also ordered Jaguar X308 rear end bits, to enable the rear suspension conversion to vented outboard disc brakes. With this will be a change to good single coil over shocks, a better handbrake set up and then replacement rims and perhaps tyres.

This work coupled with new shockers to front is when I want to get better handling out of the car.

Lastly I have acquired the main component needed to do a mild engine upgrade as pictured.

Will get the ECU piggybacked onto the existing Ford unit to run the E cam I'm to use, plus upgrade to the rockers form 1.6 to 1.7 to suit and probably valve spring enhancement.

Looking like a busy winter rebuild coming soon!
LoBelly, Gav and ICCARS like this.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Next parts accumulation installment

So as planned I have now acquired XJ8 - X308 rear suspension parts to support transition to outboard braking this winter.

Vented disc model

As expected the bits are in modest but unknown condition so I plan on stripping it all down and rejuvenating the parts.

This means at re-assembly and installation I know what quality of items are there, I won't have to do a drop and rebuild after installation and particularly as these are brake components, I won't risk braking issues.

Cheers
LoBelly likes this.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

Good idea!

Risking go is one thing, but risking stop can be disastrous...
Old 02-26-2017, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

slowly don't you have to cut down your drive axles to suit or will those just bolt up to suit
Old 02-27-2017, 03:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Was under the impression these might just bolt up but then there is a whole raft of other work Marty will be doing to make it all come together so if drive shaft mods are needed, these will happen at the same time.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Extra horsepower......

I've discovered a simple way to bolt on some extra horsepower for the cobra....

Or perhaps I just want my cake and to eat it too!

But for the purists you better close your eye's now

Well when I said horse power I meant pedal power....

Another quality Kenmer product, though Marty is probably ducking for cover right now, but hey he is just doing what the loonie client wants.

Am planning on driving to Torquay in two weeks to ride in the Otway Classic, no fun just appearing in an ordinary SUV like all the other plebs - lol

But I had initially had thoughts of towing my race yacht, but the length of the tow hitch to clear the rear bars poses some risk of over stressing the chassis.

So for now perhaps just bikes, or a light weight trailer with golf clubs or even a club BBQ might be more suitable.

Have been told though that this is a suitable race tow point now - lol

Enjoy
mudbrick likes this.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     
Default Wtf

Great innovation Steve... but wrong , just wrong on so many levels!
Tenrocca likes this.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

tsk tsk tsk :-)
Old 03-06-2017, 01:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ's Snake View Post
Great innovation Steve... but wrong , just wrong on so many levels!
Even as an avid cyclist myself, I couldn't agree more!

But I do LOVE this attitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post

Am planning on driving to Torquay in two weeks to ride in the Otway Classic, no fun just appearing in an ordinary SUV like all the other plebs - lol

Enjoy
Go get'em slowy!

Ps. Please Report back regarding the Otway classic.
It's been on my radar, but I've never managed to find the time.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Tow bar

Flash,

What BJ said.........😁

You will need to add alloy heads and a tune now to make up for the weight.

I saw a great trailer on a Cobra in Americ at the LCS in 2008, he used it

For race tyres and tools, maybe you should say this instead of the bike story.

Let's hope you don't wear any Lycra this weekend.......✌

Stiffy
Old 03-06-2017, 10:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Just curious but do you have any pics of the towbar set up ?
Old 03-07-2017, 12:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ha ha ha

Knew the pot would be stirred but then I want all the cake.

So if I get to drive the cobra to a venue play on the bike and then drive home how can I loose. And all unbolted you'd have no clue of the capability, so all good.

Life is too short BJ to give a flock about convention mate - lol

Dimis I'll let you know my "slow" ride time, I just want to finish the 145km hill riddled ride as my priority. Fortunately have three other mates to ride with but I'll still ride my own pace. Have learn from last year's failed Amy's attempt. Just hope the weather is spectacular to match the views to be had.

Stiff I'll especially pack some lycra now just for you....however I hear the club needs a bbq tow vehicle so here it is.

Rob am about to coat the bare metal parts tonight, once dried I'll re-assemble and post photos for you and just to re-stir the populace in a day or so - lol

Cheers lads

Captain Quirky
Old 03-07-2017, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289 USRRC #98 The Ken Miles Tribute Car
Not Ranked     
Default All Good

Just taking the piss Slowy.....
But this looks cooler!

Cheers
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guessed as much mate.....but agree the seaweed look is great!

And with no overhang how could the wallopers object???
Old 03-21-2017, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans and Wooley, 302 Windsor, Supra turbo 5sp
Not Ranked     

Oh Slowy thank you so much I too can now achieve the dream a seriously cool bike transport car. Bike Buller next march long weekend in the cobra heaven. I know its not exactly kosher but then neither is a chev or lexus engine in a cobra but many of the Cobra clan have this blasphemy as well lol. Hopefully I don't start something here.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dimis

You asked about time for the ride and the following transpired, as a group we joined in about 2 - 3 kms after the start near where we were staying at about 7.45am.

Another mate and I both broke spokes and lost an hour getting help and repairs, we had a group coffee stop in Aires inlet for 30 minutes and got back to the finish around 3.00pm.

Legs were going the last 15kms so happy to reach the end and the pool where we were staying and the life giving beers were tremendous after the event!

Cruised down the GOR to Lorne on the Sunday on the way home and punted the car up the Deans Marsh hill quite nicely.

A good event.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesaway View Post
I know its not exactly kosher but then neither is a chev or lexus engine in a cobra but many of the Cobra clan have this blasphemy as well lol. Hopefully I don't start something here.
Blasphemy you say? IF Chevrolet had said "yes" instead of "no" to Mr Shelby, you Ford folk would be singing a totally different tune! We all know that what Shelby originally asked for wasn't what he got!

Anyways, why do people insist on throwing a Ford motor into a replica to make it 'authentic', when they're not driving a real, original Shelby and their cars look far from authentic?

It's a hotrod that looks like a Cobra. Who cares what powerplant is in it?!
kyleb likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: