Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree349Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2015, 11:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Rwc

Slowly,

The car looks a treat, I love yellow even on Cobras.

Try Lindsay Ratnik @ Werribee Roadworthy Centre, he IS Cobra sympathetic,

Stiffy
Old 04-05-2015, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Awesome work Steve.....love the colours.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
Thanks guys.

But still a fair bit of work to get her finally ready for a RWC and then rego but closer than she's been before.

On getting a roadworthy can anyone suggest a local shop that is cobra sypathetic.

Cheers

Steve
Neil Hamilton Motors - Repco Authorised Service
4 Moller Street Huntingdale VIC 3166
Iam pretty sure he owns a cobra, did the roadworthy on mine a couple of years ago, very sypathetic to cobras.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default A small April update

A small progress update since the car has returned home.

A lot of little bits happening slowly as my primary project is actually getting another shed erected. This has taken priority as the trimmer's shed extension wont be finished to mid year.

So some night work has seen these bits completed:

Swinging bonnet with stay and a difficult to see painted latch but that was the idea.

I wanted a clean bonnet look ie no traditional handles so I amended a bonnet lock and had it painted to let it blend in too. Had the bright idea to nicely finish off and hide the release cable in braided brake line and it all works well.

Started to rewire the boot light and fit up my rollbar parts so I refit the boot stay and have had some boot time.

Also go tthe boot latch in place and working and now just awaiting a stainless number plate holder to fit behind the light and I can finish off the boot external parts.

Hope this week to seal off the rollbar openings and afix the bezels and get close to finishing off the boot electrics.

As to the shed project, I've gone from this 3 x 3m garden shed

To this 8 x 4m fleabay special

Just starting to do the form work to be able to pour the slab and then the tin can be reattached once converted from galvanised finish to a light mist green.

With this shed finished hopefully the miriad of golf bags and buggeys, assorted gardening equipment, my middle son's two motor bikes and goodness what other crap will be able to finally housed but still be accessable. They do say you can't have enough storage space!!

Perhaps I could help my youngest bloke start his first car kit in this back shed too.

He needs the practice as his dream car is at GT40!!

Enjoy
Aussie Mike, Gav, leroy17 and 1 others like this.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Nice work on all fronts there. The boot stays are really cool and so simple and the bonet latch is something I have not seen before, but so neat and who can not like a bit of braid.

Keep up the updates and a few bigger full car pics. Looks great painted.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Agreed. Nice work Steve, especially like that latch. Very pro.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Good idea with the braided line for the cable. Looks very tidy.

Lokar do something similar with their throttle cables. Makes re-sizing them easy as you just need to buy or cut the right length of Teflon braided hose. Replacing the cable is easy too as you can pick up a brake cable inner cable from a bicycle shop.

Cheers

Old 04-27-2015, 01:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks for the compliments guys.

The stays are Marty Govetts work - neat, simple and effective.

The latch is jap sourced - Honda I think. Had Marty make the spacers to make the whole thing work and simply riv-nutted into the fibreglass firewall.

I drilled out the production rivet connectors and replaced with stainless bolts so that I could have all the parts painted and it is working well. Am using an old Lancia pull handle as the latch trigger.

Can say the braid was my idea trying to maintain a clean look.

Mike you have now got me thinking about the accelerator cable. But only after the car is going now - lol!

Anyway I will continue to tinker at nights for the moment.

Cheers

Steve
Old 04-27-2015, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Steve, on my old car I spent a lot of time getting the accelerator cable and connections to work buttery smooth.

Theres a business up here called Marine Control Systems (I am sure that there would be something like that where you are). Anyway they assisted with what I wanted with Teflon lined, flared housing end fittings to minimize any friction and little rod ends for the end connection. Anyway, result was perfect smooth operation and strong, and cost was minimal.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

These guys have helped me out a few times!!
Speedscreen - The Cable People
Old 05-19-2015, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A small update - cobra and shed

A couple of small updates on the projects.

No photo of the shed but it now sits boxed up, plastic and reo in place and awaiting concrete this Saturday.

The weather again will be kind for me it seems too.

With the shed still progressing I've managed a few small jobs in between on the cobra including final fit up of the roll bar assemblies and then sealing and locating the bezels on the rollbars and on the windscreen.

Marty recently cut a stainless version of my boot number plate holder and with some bending I have managed to complete attaching the boot fittings as shown below.

While I am awaiting the slab to harden after Saturday I plan on starting to re-attach the engine bay parts. This will help clear out many boxes of items stored around the garage and taking up space. It will also allow me to get the car closer to being able to be restarted.

Cheers
Aussie Mike, guye, boxhead and 6 others like this.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Further progress over a great weekend

The weekend just past ended very well with those mighty Tiges getting over their Port hoo doo - great to see the Y&B back to form.

We'll see what happens over the next few weeks though - DoH

And the next project hurdles was overcome on the shed build with the slab now poured thus:

Before including tarp roof just in case

Day after and stripping form work

Amazing what a dozen or so mates can do with the right persuasion. They were well fed and watered before and after!

Anyway I'll tinker with the gal sheeting this week awaiting curing and will also tinker on that other love as I started to do end of day yesterday.

Got the bonnet off in advance of a lot of engine bay parts refit and commenced refitting oil plumbing.

However with the amended style of mounts I had to have Marty make I now suspect I have a bit of hose shortening to do due to the restriction in location of the plumbing evident below.

I think the anodiser fitting was located more vertically originally. Am test fitting the cooler to check this and shorten braid if I need to before locking the rest of the plumbing in place and then refitting the radiator.

Ah well 2 forward 3 back as they say.

Enjoy and cheers
Old 05-27-2015, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Go Tiges!

Slowy, what about spinning that 90 deg AN fitting (below) so it points horizontally to the right and attach another 90 deg fitting immediately afterwards pointing down. That way it won't knock against those overrider mounts whenever you attack roundabouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
Old 05-27-2015, 11:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

The car is looking great, love that shot of the rear. Will be awesome having shed space....
Old 05-28-2015, 12:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul

I think doing a double 90 angle will look very average in this highly visible location plus I'd need a third 90 angle at the bottom due to lack of space to flex the braid.

There isn't much space between the fitting pictured and the other end where it will screw onto the cooler but it is achievable.

I managed to shorten the lines slightly the other night as below:

This has drawn the fitting away from the over-rider supports sufficiently that only another roundabout crash-course would now cause contact - lol

I've no intention of testing this!

It's also achieved a pretty nice symmetery between the hose bend and the curved body work in front.

The real tricky part is screwing the return hoses to the back sides of those bulkhead style fittings. I have to work in the gap between the upright and the painted engine bay wall.

Marty made up this tricky fitting for me the first time I went to attach the hoses and I'll re-use it after I've put some protective padding in place just in case.

Cheers
sambo and Dog Chops like this.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KIRKHAM 427 S/C, SHELBY 427 ALUM. STROKER
Not Ranked     

Cobra build and shed build in one thread ! Love it !!
Old 06-02-2015, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Shed progress....then the cobra

So an update on the shed build as sadly the cobra hasn't had any more time spent on it yet.

With the slab cured I've worked on the shed side that will be adjacent the fence.

I needed to paint the gal sheets first so got the old spray gun out and was pretty pleased with the result. This despite intermitant threats of rain. Colorbond colour pale eucalypt.

With all the sheets coloured, I jacked the roof trusses up and out of the wall framework. I then unbolted the uprights off the slab and moved the whole side away from the fence to gain access to screw on the sheets. With the sheets attached I moved the whole lot back and rebolted it down to the slab fittings.

Side view

It's now just a matter of fitting up the remaining beams and then painting more sheets for fitting up.

The wall sheets are a flat profile but the roof is standard corrigated and I am contemplatting replacing a few sheets with clear laserlite for increased general light. Not sure over the 8 metres whether to do two or three bands of clear.

Getting closer to knocking this project off thankfully.

But I'm already hearing noise from my boys about this storage area being inhabited by a couch and a drum kit. Bluddy kids anyone want to take them off my hands - lol

Enjoy
Old 06-02-2015, 11:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Nice work Slowy

I'd do 3 sheets spread across the east side of the roof. You will get plenty of light but not so much of the baking afternoon sun heating up the shed.

Cheers

Old 06-03-2015, 12:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike

That fence it is running along side is essentially North - South so was thinking one sheet of clear on each roof side perhaps front, middle and rear. There is a rear access door and a window but the extra light would be usefull.

As to baking and temperature concerns it really is only meant to be storage shed so I have less concern on this issue.

Maybe only two sheets of clear on the north perhaps?
Old 06-03-2015, 12:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Looks good slowy.

But damn you guys and your shed builds, makes me very envious, and then motivated to win lotto and joint the shed building crew. If only I could pick the right numbers.