Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 01:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As Mike said earlier the late model Commodore pumps are hard to beat. Installation is easy (Drop in tank), you might have to shorten 2 rods on the pump depending on the depth of you tank. The pump has inbuilt pressure regulation and plumbing on requires a single fuel line (no return) and best of all - they're quiet and cheap. A good source is Premier Auto Trade in Mentone, Vic.

Peter
Old 01-20-2013, 01:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

I have installed a walbro high pressure pump in tank and then used the corvette filter with built in regulator. Im pretty happy with it so far but im yet to start the car.

I have one fuel line and then another line for the evap to the charcoal canister.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Beautifully fabricated, as always Mike. I haven't seen how far people push the envelope with dead headed systems. Are you confident that there won't be a pressure drop in the fuel rails at WOT?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

Mike - What capacity is your tank?

I have initially fitted VE Commodore mufflers to ensure it will pass inspection and that really limited the width I could go with the tank. I only have 47 ltrs but I'm anticipating 10 ltrs/100km so I think (hope!) it will be okay.

I went the soft option of an in-tank pump from the donor car.
Attached Images

Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
Beautifully fabricated, as always Mike. I haven't seen how far people push the envelope with dead headed systems. Are you confident that there won't be a pressure drop in the fuel rails at WOT?
Thanks Craig.

My theory is that the rails are 3/4" ID which is quite a bit larger than stock. The main line feeding them is 1/2" where the stock line is 5/16" I think. So there is a heap more flow and volume in both of those which should keep a good head of fuel available. Then the Pump is an 044 which will be able to keep up with any demands I can throw at it.

Hopefully the regulator will respond fast enough to keep up with any pressure drop.

Fingers crossed it all works.

Cheers

Old 01-20-2013, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterAllen View Post
Mike - What capacity is your tank?

I have initially fitted VE Commodore mufflers to ensure it will pass inspection and that really limited the width I could go with the tank. I only have 47 ltrs but I'm anticipating 10 ltrs/100km so I think (hope!) it will be okay.

I went the soft option of an in-tank pump from the donor car.
Nice Fabrication work there Peter. 400K's out of a tank will be plenty for this kind of car. You will be most likely cruising or going on a run not driving interstate. Plenty of oportunities to stop and fill up.

Not sure what the final capacity will be. I'm thinking up around 80L I'll have to measure it up and calculate it.

Cheers

Old 01-20-2013, 06:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
I have installed a walbro high pressure pump in tank and then used the corvette filter with built in regulator. Im pretty happy with it so far but im yet to start the car.

I have one fuel line and then another line for the evap to the charcoal canister.
System Looks good. Great attention to detail on the chassis. I'll be interested to see how the paint holds up on the engine and trans.

Cheers

Old 05-26-2013, 04:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm almost embarrassed to show this after seeing the Aluminum artistry on the Pace 427.

I've just done some of the finishing touches on my fuel tank. I fabricated and welded in the front mounts. I'd been holding off doing these as I was a bit worried about the strength of the front mounts. I had a sit down and a think about how the mount would work. Things to consider were the flexing of the tank at the mount leading to a fatigue crack. To address that I kept the mount as close to the corner as possible where it's most rigid. I also made the mount wrap around the corner of the tank to support it in 2 planes.

I need a lot more torch time to get my aluminum welds looking like a stack of dimes but they are plenty strong enough and out of sight under the car.

Here's a pic of the rear mount. These are welded to a plate which spreads the load over a larger area. Another consideration was what happens If the car gets hit in the rear? I slotted the mounts so that if the rear of the chassis rail is pushed far enough out of whack it should pull out of the rubber grommet rather than tearing the tank open.

The rubber mounting should provide some isolation between the chassis and the tank. This should hopefully reduce the noise transmitted to the chassis from the fuel pump. More importantly they should dampen road shocks going to the tank and reduce the fatigue on the mounts etc.

To hold the rubber grommets firmly in place but not crush them they are mounted on bobbins that are bolted to threaded inserts welded into the chassis.

The front mounts were a heap easier to do now that the rear suspension is out of the way.

Cheers

Old 05-26-2013, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Nice work Mike, getting there buddy!