Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Rego'd cars and track days

Can someone please tell me (Qlders's??) what you guys have to do when you track your rego'd cars please? Do you apply for 3rd pary exemptions etc.. how does all that work?

Is it different if you have a QLD rego'd car and you track your interstate.

Thanks in advance.

Spookypt
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

No insurance when on the race track is my understanding.

Happy to hear otherwise.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Rego

Yep, that'd be correct Boxy. I'm interested in the process of what the rego'd guys do? Do they advise the insurance guys everytime they track their cars? I assume they need to get a 3rd party exemption or something??? Dunno.

I'm heading fast down the path of getting a rego'd car for track sprint days while I'm stuck living so far away from my garage.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

I dont really see why you're asking spook - if you take it on the track there's no insurance, doen't matter whether you tell the insurance company or not.

I once saw someone in a WRX hit the armco at Sandown, I believe he may have driven out of Sandown and reported it as a street incident. I'm certainly not encouraging or suggesting insurance fraud, just saying is all.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Rego

I'm asking because I believe (awaiting confirmation) that the people that put on these events, track days, A series bla bla request as part of your admission that you have to provide some sort of 3rd party insurance declaration or something...

All I need to know is what they ask for......if anything??

Anyone??
Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

I thought that entry fee was to cover the insurance provided by the track.

I know that with the motorkana I run out here, I have to organise that insurance, and recover the costs through entries fees and sponsorship.

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Matt,
The registered cars, when they race at Warwick ( cams event), require a third party exemption "letter"from the third party insurer.

I believe that this is a letter that you get from your insurer..( eg Suncorp) , that covers you for injuring a third party, during an event.

When I used to race the black Cobra, it was always one of the things on my "checklist" when I was off to racing.

I'd go into Suncorp, let them know when i was racing....they had a one page " form letter", that they simply entered the date of the meeting, signed it and gave it to me...no cost.

Care.... I was always under the impression, that this letter was for the protection of both the owner,and anyone else on the track, but maybe you should double check with your third party insurer,as to what it covers.

This has nothing to do with your " normal" insurance, which it would appear the other guys are talking about....they're quite right...the car is not insured for damage on the track...

Not that it's ever happened, but if someone was to have an accident on the track, and soon after a race meeting, have a similar accident on the road...and accidentally damaging the same spot, then maybe they might still claim for the cost to repair....

Not that's ever happened !!!
Cheers,
Warren

Last edited by Wazza; 02-17-2013 at 07:47 PM..
Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Hi Matt,
The registered cars, when they race at Warwick ( cams event), require a third party exemption "letter"from the third party insurer.

I believe that this is a letter that you get from your insurer..( eg Suncorp) , that covers you for injuring a third party, during an event.

When I used to race the black Cobra, it was always one of the things on my "checklist" when I was off to racing.

I'd go into Suncorp, let them know when i was racing....they had a one page " form letter", that they simply entered the date of the meeting, signed it and gave it to me...no cost.

Care.... I was always under the impression, that this letter was for the protection of both the owner,and anyone else on the track, but maybe you should double check with your third party insurer,as to what it covers.

This has nothing to do with your " normal" insurance, which it would appear the other guys are talking about....they're quite right...the car is not insured for damage on the track...

Not that it's ever happened, but if someone was to have an accident on the track, and soon after a race meeting, have a similar accident on the road...and accidentally damaging the same spot, then maybe they might still claim for the cost to repair....

Not that's ever happened !!!
Cheers,
Warren
Now you're talking Wazza. That's exactly what I needed to know. "Third Party Exemption" is what I was seeking clarifications on. Wasn't sure what it was called.

For those that seemed to think I was unsure, I do understand that std insurance does not cover track usage.

The reason for my seeking out the info is if I had a rego'd car and got a call on a Saturday morning to go do some sprints in the arvo, how difficult is it to get that 3rd Party Exemption before going for a spin that day? I wonder if it can be done over the phone a few hours before???

Wazza, can you shed any light on that by any chance?

Spookypt
Old 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Why do you need this "letter" Warren? Isnt public liability insurance provided by the race meet organisers? What exactly does this letter refer to?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not sure .....
I know that the third party letter was always required by Morgan Park...but not at Queensland Raceway...

It might be that Morgan Park simply doesn't have that insurance in place, and prefers to have a "user pays" system.

i.e. maybe if there's a race meeting with only a few registered cars racing...then it only seems fair for those particular owners to look after themselves.

Maybe Q.R. pays a lump sum to cover everyone all events???...no idea.

If it helps...I'll be out at Morgan Park in a couple of weeks, and I'll get in Bill Campbell's ear and get the info for you.

Cheers,
Warren.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

See you there Wazza!
Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Spook,

Sorted !!

I just phoned Queensland Raceway, and they advise the following.

This is all to simply satisfy a requirement of the Public Liability Insurer that CAMS deal with.
It's not actually "Third Party Exemption"...It's "Third party Extension"....and this is a requirement by CAMS, and is simply an acknowledgement by the third party insurer of any road registered vehicle , that you will be on a race track on a particular date,in a CAMS event.....

and this "extends" your cover to include that event .

This apparently will satisfy the requirements of the insurance that CAMS have on the Morgan Park Raceway.

This is NOT a requirement of Queensland Raceway, because they are not under the umbrella of CAMS....and therefore their insurer does not require the same letter.

The scenario of you making a sudden decision to go for a race on a Saturday, must only relate to either Q.R. or Lakeside...and both are owned by the same people, so it won't be an issue.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Warren.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well Wazza, yet again you shine!! Thanks mate that satisfies everything I need to know.

Now 2 more things...

1. I need to finalise on a rego'd car.

2. You need to talk to Ronaldo as he text me on Saturday night wanting to Skype me followed by a series of xxxxx's. Went along the lines of "Let's Skype xxxxx"
There was a series of banter which followed which can't be repeated but I can only feel for Mario if this is the sort of caper you two "used" to get up to! Out with the old and "in" with the new??

I promised him I'd tell knowone but seeing as though we're chatting now I thought it wouldn't/couldn't hurt.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I've never heard of this before. Is this an issue for people in QLD and NSW since they can get their 3rd party personal injury insurance seperate to their rego? You can shop around for the best rate. In Victoria it's all bundled into the same bill. Vic roads take care of the personal injury insurance as part of the rego fee.

Cheers

Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

quite right Mike, which is why I still dont get it - its not going to cover you if you have an incident on the track, or any third party property or human damage.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I remember having to do it back in the early 90's so its been around up here at least since then....

Spookypt
Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yep, I too am struggling to understand why it is needed.
I mean, your insurance is not going to cover anything that happens at the track, so why do you need a letter that says so?

Silly Qlders.

Cruising in 5th

Old 02-17-2013, 11:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I note this doesn't help explain why but for CAMS events in QLD the policy states.....

NOTE: All road registered cars (Trade Plates are not acceptable) must have an original 3rd Party extension certificate on their current Qld Registration
(under the "Transport Operations Road Use Management - Vehicle Registration) Regulation 1999") provided by the 3rd Party insurer, specifically
covering the days of each competition. Failure to provide this requirement by Qld State Government will result in your entry being refused at
administration check.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     
Wink

Its a duty of care thing --to let your third party insurer know that the vehicle is being used in other than normal activities --free from suncorp, the others charge for this third party extension
Only in Qld and I thought NSW for CAMS sanctioned events
Its a bit old hat now and probably needs to be challenged or questioned at least.
It came about in the days when we ran events through the Marque Sports car clubs when some cock head big mouth (one of the BMW pullers I think) raised the issue with the club organisers and therefore CAMS .
There's plenty to read in the CAMS manual or talk to your local CAMS delegate for more exacting info on the matter.
No need to rely on this forum heresay.
If you have a CAMS licence and are a competitor, organiser or marshall you should know about some of this stuff

There was 2 BMW clubs under the Marque umbrella back then -- A left and right faction --probably the left lot that instigated all this Nannie state stuff

Last edited by Mrs flatchat; 02-19-2013 at 02:48 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BMW pullers...... Chris Tell us how u really feel!