Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

The original content in post no. 18 in this thread was questionable at best and to be honest an eye opener considering where it came from (Component Cars).

Its now been edited/amended/deleted so very little post this makes sense.

Back to more pics and built topics.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Let's get this thread back on track...

Kenmer Cobra

Definitely speak to Martin at Kenmer Cobra. He doesn't self promote like others but he has about 5-6 cars on the go including a new bodied 68 Mustang with Coyote engine and IRS. His Cobra body shape is based on the DAX and he works closely with engineers so you won't have any troubles with compliance if you follow his advice. Ford/Chev setups, roomy cabin, custom suspension for proper wheel offsets, soft tops, big brakes, ADR approved seats - you name it, he can do it. You won't meet a nicer bloke, nor will you get the hard sell.
Gav and 07cob like this.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Sambo, I still feel the best way forward is as per Bernie's original comment 3 years ago and reiterated by Jamo....

"Remember, if you need to edit don't say it in the first place, the written or spoken word is the hardest to retract."

Even Bernies has edit'd 3 posts on this topic without explanation so we can't just highlight the shortcomings of Chris if that applies.

Spookypt
Old 07-02-2013, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
Let's get this thread back on track...

Kenmer Cobra

Definitely speak to Martin at Kenmer Cobra. He doesn't self promote like others ....

...You won't meet a nicer bloke, nor will you get the hard sell.
Very Very true!

Good call Sambo.
Marty doesn't get anywhere near the level on fanfare that he deserves.

Last edited by Dimis; 07-02-2013 at 06:29 PM.. Reason: Cos I can... Now can we move on with the "edit" stuff. It's not helping this guy choose a COBRA Kit
Old 07-03-2013, 06:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

The three chassis' that I have ever seen that really grabbed my attention and imagination are from Herb Adams VSE, JBL and Absolute Pace.
Of those, the AP is the only one made in Australia, the one with the most authentic body shape, the only one with local support and the only one that I believe you could get through the compliance and registration process.

There are many manufacturers in Australia whose cars I would happily own, but the AP product is the kind of thing that makes you stop and stare. It's a really impressive thing from all angles and for so many reasons.

In fact it's so good that it wouldn't be me left holding the soggy SAO. (Disclaimer; I'm a lowly state school attendee, so I never played that game)
d488y2 and Cobra01 like this.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

With the Pace love fest rolling on still I will chime in and say have a look at the Classic Revival car.
At the end of the day people are going to suggest what ever kit they own, as they like to "talk up" there own choice in kit.
As I have suggested to every new potential builder, Visit as many suppliers as you can, make up a list of what you really want in a car.
Bare in mind none "look" the same, they all have variations in body shape, some are closer to original than others.
Do you want to be more involved in the parts sourcing side of it (some times part of the fun is in the chase of the parts).
Do you want a removable body, Do you want a street cruiser (so loosing every possible gram of weight isn't so important)
Is the deep dish rear wheels a "must have"
Have a good look around and make the decision for yourself.

Here are some pics of mine (you wont get distracted by shiny paint)
First is with 17 inch wheels.
[IMG][/IMG]
The CR in my opinion is pretty close to correct shape, but (and this is a big but to some people) the deep dish wheels are not a simple fit, the rear end requires changing to get more dish.

And with 15 inch wheels fitted.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Again you don't get the deep dish on the rear.
My kit is an older one that used the AU Falcon rear end and Jag front, the latest rendition of the kit uses Commodore suspension, and from guys who have built them, they sound just as simple to assemble as I found mine.
Mrs flatchat, Mando, Gav and 5 others like this.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Ian's newer round tube chassis has more dish on the rear wheel than our older square tube chassis.

Cheers

Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Those 15's look great boxhead... Transforms the appearance.

How hard is it to source tyres?

Tony
Old 07-03-2013, 07:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Tyres are from Roger Kraus Racing - Pricing
Very helpful, priced freight for me but in the end I had my TrophyKart coming so they shipped to Kart supplier and all came in same container.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

Love the look of the 15" wheels, what do you call wide wheels? My python has 15" x 10" 305mm wide tyres, is that wide or where originals wider?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhs.buckley View Post
Love the look of the 15" wheels, what do you call wide wheels? My python has 15" x 10" 305mm wide tyres, is that wide or where originals wider?
It's not so much the width Dave is referring to but the 'dish' or offset of the rear wheel. The earlier CR's were wider from flange to flange in the rear end allowing only a shallow dished rim to be fitted under the original guard.

Back on topic, depends on your skill level, your contacts and the challenge you want, any kit is do-able, though the previously mentioned kits would be a sensible idea.
boxhead likes this.

Last edited by David Hodgson; 07-04-2013 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Doh - forgot a bit of text.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Box head those 15s look so much better. Looks very cool
Old 07-05-2013, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

This thread reminds me of this:-

Tranquilizer to the Jugular - Old School (8/9) Movie CLIP (2003) HD - YouTube

Ben
Old 07-05-2013, 07:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Boxhead, not so long ago this forum was dominated by Classic Revival builds, posts and recommendations along those lines. Times have changed and that is why we have your quoted "Pace love fest".

And please note that I am not sure of the current state of Classic Revival. They no longer have a website and last news I had from Ian's son was Ian was well contrary to illness rumours I had heard, but looking at pursuing other avenues, that is why the business is for sale.

Also interesting to read in this thread that there are plenty of people here suggesting kit brands that are different to the kit brand they own. I don't even believe they are potential customers of the kit brands they are recommending either.

Every kg of weight IS important in my opinion. Wasn't Shelby's idea to take a light weight European sports car and put a V8 in it. We have used all the technology we have available to follow this ideal. In our experience taking weight out of a car significantly improves acceleration, braking and handling. It totally transforms the car. And we are not talking grams, our finished cars spec for spec will be 100's kg's lighter than equivalent Cobra replicas. Actually as much as 300kg's+ lighter. And we believe also stronger, stiffer and safer than our competitors.

Just wanted to confirm we also have a removable body that utilises both the light weight and performance of a bonded body with the advantage of just being able to remove the outer shell during build. I believe we are the only Australian kit to utilise this design.

Unfortunately those Billboard(Goodyear) tyres Boxhead has are not legal for street use. And drive like old rag tyres. But they look great. We supply plenty of them to customers.

I am also a fan of the 15" wheel look and have extensively researched, tested and even prototyped the look of the Billboards with street legal tyres.

The other important factor with being able to run original offset wheels is the availability of very high quality pin drive wheels for a very good price. Just a glance at the casting & material quality you see in a lot of the wheels traditionally used here was enough to drive us to search for better options for our customers.

Nearly half of our orders for PACE 427's are for 15" wheels as we can run the original deep dish wheel styles with functional knock-off wheels. This is great to see and I expect this percentage to increase as there is a new found respect and admiration for the classic look.

We welcome all visitors to our facility, where you will see first hand the entire construction process of our kits and the expertise involved. We are proud of the fact you won't see anything else like it here in Australia.

We always recommend for potential builders to visit and preferably meet and see as many manufacturers in person as possible. A well informed decision is a good decision.

Craig White
BJ's Snake, schipps, Wazza and 2 others like this.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

just looking at some photos of a real one that sold recently in america,
I must say the bloke that had the original idea for mine must have looked at this one,
Just somthing different with out the side pipes and roll bars.
the real one is the top one on both photos

real one

real one
Tonus72 likes this.