Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Replica, 5.0 Supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I've heard where cars have failed on Petrol and past on E85 and it smells nicer : )

Last edited by d488y2; 08-25-2013 at 08:06 PM..
Old 08-25-2013, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
I have an EF XR8 with manual gearbox.
$800 and its yours. Fuel pump and keys are missing.
Did you find that buried in one of your epic travels to the outback...?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

And given a suitable tune and a good set of cats I still can't see why a E series engine, like Boxhead's for example, can't be made to comply under the IM240 standards.

I thought the IV version ECU in the E's was actually supposed to be a better ECU to use that the later upgraded version used in the A series cars.

Is this just because of the simpler security in the earlier ECU or is there a tune difference between the ECU's?

Cheers
Old 08-25-2013, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Did you find that buried in one of your epic travels to the outback...?
Yes, with permission from both the owner and the MVR

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Stephen, the E series were only originally complied to ADR 37/00 and there was a lot done to get the later AU engines over the line with later ADR 37/01.

So out of the box the stock E series will be a lot dirtier, no reason why you can't clean it up to pass. But it is a whole lot easier with later AU engines. Plus the later AU engines are a whole lot better.

If I was going to use a Windsor in a Cobra build I would use the last of them as it is just that little bit easier.

For those that live in a state without emissions testing, we have no choice but to run the later factory emissions compliant engines anyway.

Darkside, not sure where you heard the electronics & security for AU ECU's are a problem. There are lots of solutions and providers around and we have never had an issue.

Emissions is all about using the right parts and getting the engines to run efficiently & clean. As sideshow mentioned, factory ECU's are a great start.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Thanks Craig

That at least clears up the ADR timing history but what's in a number ehhh - 00 - 01 whatever lol

And can't agree more, I'm running the AUII motor and would have loved the stroker but they were still pretty recent and quite expensive when I built let alone being able to source one.

I'm hoping the free engine rebuild I got care of Shannons will have made the world of performance difference when I finally get to kick it in the guts.

Black scoring on all the journals was not a good sign and the stock car was written off after side swiping a pole and bending the car. The owner was clearly doing a bit of road & drag racing.

And as to the AU ecu's, yes they were a right ***** to fix in the early years but time and necessity has provided a raft of simple solutions to get around the security issues now.

Again I was lucky in striking that bloke that worked as the Ford development engineer, he just fired up all the old company equipment and did a factory number on my ECU for me, deleting all the security measures.

What you can do with the right gear and knowledge.

This is probably how they fix them all now - ha!

LukeM as said, go the AUIII stroker engine if you can get your hands on one, even the Ford boys thought a lot of these motors.

Cheers

Slo

Last edited by stephen low; 08-27-2013 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: wrong name
Old 08-31-2013, 04:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GForce Sports Cars, Ford Coyote 5Ltr Engine
Not Ranked     

Thanks every body for the advice, given me a lot of options and now doing soem research on which way to go.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: GForce Sports Cars, Ford Coyote 5Ltr Engine
Not Ranked     

Thanks every body for the advice, given me a lot of options and what I need to look for trying to make it as close to the original as possible. Looking at having it built in Perth by gforce.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

The Au engine harness is pretty easy to seperate from the ford car harness ,also you can buy a chip, fairly cheap that turns off body control and security. So no need for keys and modules and all that crap.
I just made another one a few months ago for my RF GT40.

I will have a AU engine harness and ecu with chip available in about 2 months, if someone is looking for a stock set up. Easy to connect and comes with diagram to get going in your car.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

yes the au is the easiest of ford looms to play with
especially when they separate in half at back of manifold

im not to sure what the engineers or the authorities think I an icv rolled up with an engine was 10 or 12 years old
maybe treeve can give us a heads up
but in a year or 2 au motors will soon be 12 to 14 years old and same goes with vt ls1s
does this have any impact on getting passed or is it purely passing the im240 test

www.sideshowsperformancewiring.com.au
Old 08-31-2013, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

albanycobra, can you email me the price you are after as I might have a customer over here happy to take that setup off your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukem View Post
Looking at having it built in Perth by gforce.
Lukem, I would really recommend spending the time and money to travel to the east coast to compare Cobra kits on the market. Harrison and my company Absolute Pace are only a few minutes from each other on the gold coast.

I have a lot of respect for Rob @ G-Force. But I think you will be amazed at what other options are available now, both in terms of quality, engineering, functionality and price.

I am really keen to get a PACE 427 over to WA. Considering we have sold something like 20 x PACE 427 kits this year, no sales yet to WA. Interesting enough we have sold all three of our other kit models to WA customers this year, just no PACE 427 kits. Plus I would really appreciate the opportunity to help you with your Cobra dream.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideshow View Post
yes the au is the easiest of ford looms to play withdoes this have any impact on getting passed or is it purely passing the im240 test
Jim, the emissions level we have to meet with IM240 is ADR 37/01. Luckily that is the emissions level that the IM240 was designed to test. AU engines complied with 37/01 when new. Running nice and efficiently and fitted with a good set of current cats etc they go through IM240 ok. But so do the LS engines, even the early ones.

The LS style engines have their advantages and appeal, but so do the Windsors. And so do the new Coyote's. We have customers ordering kits to suit all three engine types.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, 302 EFI 5 speed 9"
Not Ranked     

Mine runs a AU engine. It came with the car (unfinished project) but was missing some critical parts missing and worked out cheaper I purchased a complete damaged AU XR8 from fowlers for $3000, stripped the bits I need and sold the rest of the parts and got my money back.
I then changed the front timing cover and water pump and mounted all the older style parts the same as the Windsor in my XY.
I couldn't change the balancer to convert to V belt so I made a adaptor of the factory balancer to run the belt.
It passed engineer with the factory injection system, intake, ECU but had to run aftermarket cats as the Ford ones were to big to fit.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Pity those manifolds are so ugly. I do like the LS setup better.
JD
leroy17 likes this.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1994 drb sbf c4 9inch
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossba View Post
Mine runs a AU engine. It came with the car (unfinished project) but was missing some critical parts missing and worked out cheaper I purchased a complete damaged AU XR8 from fowlers for $3000, stripped the bits I need and sold the rest of the parts and got my money back.
I then changed the front timing cover and water pump and mounted all the older style parts the same as the Windsor in my XY.
I couldn't change the balancer to convert to V belt so I made a adaptor of the factory balancer to run the belt.
It passed engineer with the factory injection system, intake, ECU but had to run aftermarket cats as the Ford ones were to big to fit.
dont spose you would have a pic or 2 showing yur au balancer with adaptor,would love to see another way to run these as that balancer certainly proves to be a problem to get around .....doc
Old 09-13-2013, 07:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I do but if I made another I would drill and tap the holes for the pully
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2013, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

pic of my windsor with out the big ugly injection manifold
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2013, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

A pic of my little Windsor....

They can be made to look ok.

Running Autronic SM4 and 1,000 cfm throttle body. Now have an Accel dual sync Dizzy as the Ford based (Mallory) one couldn't cope anymore.
Cobra01, itempany and Chook like this.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmaster View Post

Running Autronic SM4 and 1,000 cfm throttle body. Now have an Accel dual sync Dizzy as the Ford based (Mallory) one couldn't cope anymore.
That's an understatement...
That thing looks good, darn good from where I sit
Old 09-15-2013, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmaster View Post

Problem fixed Ash?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: