Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 400TT

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     
Default what suspension

hi all
my name is dean and I built a ac cobra almost to completion 13 yrs ago it was one of paul wooleys kits with the jag front and rear i got it up to a roller stage with motor box tailshaft fitted and windscreen doors all hanging panels done . it needed paint /trim and electrical I was that close to finishing it when I ended up in a messy divorce and was forced to sell it at a loss .
anyway life goes on and I remarried to a car nut and im getting the urge to settle some unfinished business ie get myself into a cobra and find myself in a dilemma ..not sure I want to go thru the whole build one from scratch thing again . maybe a unfinished kit if one come along at the right price .

anyway enough of my background when I was building mine jag front and rears seemed the way to go with torrana running gear was seemed to be seen as second best . I have only driven jag suspension ones so I cant comment on torrana ones .
so my questions are do the torrana ones handle as nice as they jag . do they steer and stop as nice as the jags as the jags brakes are far better than stock torrana ones by far .

is there any stigma in owning a torrana kitted car and I mean no disrespect to owners of these cars at all .
resale value there are some really nice drb kits for sale around the 50 g mark atm not so many jag ones at that price . I know when your driving down the road the public could not and prob doesn't care whats under the body but as a owner are one better than the other in ride ?

I don't wish to start a torrana vs the rest war just honest facts so I know what way to spend my money atm budget is 50g now that will get me into a car on the road as there are a few for sale around the mark and then theres plenty 60 g and above .a unfinished kit depending on how far along might be the way to go .im not after a track car or 500 hp just want a nice unit for my wife and myself to enjoy on nice days for drives thru the Adelaide hills ect . but if one handles a lot better than the other I would lean towards that way ok im starting to ramble and think out loud so over to you guys
thanks in advance for any advice good or bad I will take it all onboard .

cheers dean

Last edited by deano59; 09-18-2013 at 08:05 PM..
Old 09-18-2013, 08:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I think you would be happy with either.
There are some very capable Torana equipped cars that would flog a jag equipped car.
That said either of them set up well will be a great road car.
Both of them set up properly will be a great track car too.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Deano, i'm afraid the decision isn't that simple anymore. The choice now includes Ford, GM and Nissan rear end and front includes fabricated double wishbone and even coilover struts. Happy searching
Old 09-19-2013, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgson View Post
Deano, i'm afraid the decision isn't that simple anymore. The choice now includes Ford, GM and Nissan rear end and front includes fabricated double wishbone and even coilover struts. Happy searching
thanks for the reply yep things have changed for sure since my last one . there is a lot less people making them and the prices have climbed .back then 80g secondhand would get you a nice robnell now there not even around as best I can figure .
I guess im trying to fig if I want live axle or independent im not fussed if it's jag or Nissan I cant seem to find a price list on the drb page apart from the cost of the king cobra and cheaper version for just the chassis and body cant find a page with what options and prices .but as for my pc skills lets just say I make a better mechanic :-).

not in a rush so im sure something will turn up either half built or at the right price .

cheers dean
Old 09-19-2013, 02:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgson View Post
Even CNC Billet Aluminium Double Wishbone Rocker/Pushrod Suspension front and rear.

Yes, do your research and try an visit as many kit manufacturers as possible as it will familiar yourself with the advantages/disadvantages of each kit in relation to what you are looking for. Regardless if you are looking to buy new or used.

Good luck with it.

And please try to make it to the Cobra Nationals, you will learn more at that event in one day than anywhere else.

Craig White
Old 09-19-2013, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400TT View Post
Even CNC Billet Aluminium Double Wishbone Rocker/Pushrod Suspension front and rear.

Yes, do your research and try an visit as many kit manufacturers as possible as it will familiar yourself with the advantages/disadvantages of each kit in relation to what you are looking for. Regardless if you are looking to buy new or used.

Good luck with it.

And please try to make it to the Cobra Nationals, you will learn more at that event in one day than anywhere else.

Craig White
hi craig thanks for the reply
I seem to be a at a disadvantage here in sa when it comes to suppliers here .when I build mine there was evans sports cars Adelaide ac cobra "paul wooley" who will still do a kit if asked and drb had a agent here and there was classic cars . now there is only paul . I may have to arrange a visit to qld and visit my son and drop in at the suppliers up there . where and when are the nationals this yr held ?

cheers dean
Old 09-19-2013, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobra Nationals are on 4, 5 & 6th October at Wakefield Park Raceway, Goulburn. A couple of weeks away/ See thread on this forum about it.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is also the SA 20th Cobra Club Anniversary meet on 1 & 2nd November. Now that is local to you.
deano59 likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dean, if you look hard you can still get a 2nd hand Robnell for $80k....

Just have the cash up front and I'm sure you'll grab if for even less than that!

As Gav suggests, both Jag or Torana suspension is fine. No stigma either way. Plenty of people running Nissan rears too....

Its all a happy balance depending on what you want..

Happy searching.

Spookypt
Old 09-24-2013, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

cheers spooky
yeah ive been keeping a eye out and doing a bit of research and ive come to the conclusion that while later model engines are nice too me anyway I think I would prefer to buy maybe a older car running carbys as I feel they fit more into the era of the car.
there are some lovely examples for sale out there atm and either irs or live axle doesn't worry me now altho one I was looking at still had drum brakes on the rear put me off a tad altho the rest of the car was outstanding from the pictures ive received from the owner.
im just waiting for settlement on a block of land we have sold and when that comes thru hopefully in a few weeks I will decide how much im prepared to spend and what cars fit my criteria .would prefer auto due to a leg injury that restricts movement in my left leg but happy to buy a manual and convert to auto if the rest of the car suits my needs .
like a isaid not after a fire breathing dragon just something that's nice to drive on sunny days with the wife. we have dirt circuit racecars that we race to take the hoon factor out of me lol .

thanks for taking the time to reply to my post much appreciated
regards all dean.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: