Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

The surge tank is there to maintain a constant flow and pressure to the injectors no matter what the car's doing. It's handy for racing, drifing, autocross, and even off roading. Some aircraft use them. By design, the surge tank is pressurized, and as close to the injector fuel rails as possible. Carb float bowls are unpressurized small surge tanks.

You can place the surge tank almost anywhere. I suppose you could even place it inside the original tank to save space. But it's going to be most efficient placed as close to the injector rail as possible.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/pro...el_surge_tank/

http://msextra.com/doc/ms3/fuel.html

Another use for a surge tank is conversion from carb to EFI - like an old Mustang. The original mechanical pump feeds a surge tank containing a high pressure pump - which then feeds the injector rails.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto

Last edited by bobcowan; 12-20-2013 at 08:25 PM..
Old 12-21-2013, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Surge tank

Please explain how efficiency is gained by placing the surge tank near the fuel rails, I can see having the high pressure pump close to the rails for a slight efficiency improvement but the surge tank is pressurized so why would it be better, the line from the surge tank to the HP pump also gives a little more fuel capacity to the system. The key is that the high pressure pump must never see air or the engine will stumble.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

With the surge tank and HP pump close to the fuel rails, your chance of developing an air bubble in short a short space is almost zero. Some surge tanks have the pump inside the surge tank, and then mounted in the engine bay.

Keep in mind that we're talking about very high performance vehicles and driving. Far above what I (and most people here) do.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 12-21-2013, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And this is what all those drawings should look like.
guye, Gav and jcraigau like this.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Bubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
With the surge tank and HP pump close to the fuel rails, your chance of developing an air bubble in short a short space is almost zero. Some surge tanks have the pump inside the surge tank, and then mounted in the engine bay.

Keep in mind that we're talking about very high performance vehicles and driving. Far above what I (and most people here) do.
The surge tank is pressurized @5 psi with a return vent to the main tank to eliminate bubbles in the line to the high pressure pump. The pumps generate enough heat without adding engine compartment heat too, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this subject.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't think we're agreeing to disagree. I think we're agreeing that there is more than one way to skin a cat.
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 12-25-2013, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I guess it depends where you want to put that extra weight... Over the rear wheels or over the front wheels. There is also all the extra fuel lines etc, lot of weight there.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's true. A lot of weight, cost, complexity, and failure points. If you need one, build it. If you don't..........
www.RacingtheExocet.com
Old 12-26-2013, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Surge Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
That's true. A lot of weight, cost, complexity, and failure points. If you need one, build it. If you don't..........
You are all correct, lots of complexity and some extra weight, but if your Cobra
handles well enough there no other option. A carb will flood or cut out and fuel injection needs a constant flow of relatively cool fuel. Drag racers don't run fuel coolers for no reason, so putting pumps and tanks in the engine compartment is not a good idea.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: