Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 03:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Angry Dark side of Paradise

Like many Australians we have been watching the Schapelle Corby case run its last lap.

Corby the young girl convicted of carrying marijuana into Bali - bit like taking sand to the Arabian desert...

Television has been promoting the many programs on Corby and her imprisonment in Bali. Was she innocent and framed by Balinese authorities to prove a point that they will not tolerate so called bad and illegal behavior...

The Kuta strip and beach area is a disaster - dozens of "king hits" and fights. Described at the most dangerous area in the world. A washed with drugs and hookers. From marijuana, cocaine and heroine plentiful.

Magic mushroom milkshakes for $10 Australian...

Only hours ago television promotions (adds) highlighted the program "Dark Side of Paradise" with the by line that one Australian dies there every seven (7) days..

If 50 Australians are dying in Bali each year, how many other Nationalities have similar numbers of deaths.....

With the recent death of a young Mother and her daughter put down to food or alcohol poisoning it begs the question why go to the place.

Then the bashing and strangling of a Queensland boy put down to a motor cycle accident. Our own Department of Foreign Affairs appear to be of very little help to Australian families seeking help for injured or murdered Australians (and other Nationalities)..

One million Australians journey to Bali each year. How bloody silly are they..

Deaths are the result of drugs, robberies gone wrong, stabbings, accidents and poisonous alcohol.

Young woman are constantly robbed, bashed and raped with authorities appearing to do little about it.

Families heading to Bali to rescue their kids are treated second rate by authorities.

Prisoners stating they have been set up by authorities requiring prisoners in their Prisons - creating jobs for their Bali residents.

Add to this a fourth rate medical system and its corrupt medical, pharmaceutical systems manufacturing drugs for street sale..

Obviously, there are better locations to holiday in Bali, but at the higher end of accommodation it attracts the tourist with money that stays well away from bars, surf beaches and nightclubs where our young kids go.

Cheap flights, cheaper alcohol and plentiful drugs are a recipe for disaster for our children ...

I'm certain that none of my kids will ever set foot in Bali.. guess I would give them the money to go to a safer location...

In the interim television is making a fortune on the story..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 02-09-2014 at 04:30 AM..
Old 02-09-2014, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

I agree Bernie.

Some will dislike these comments but I have to say that the whole Corby case to me has had far to much attention and carry on. There must be plenty of Aussies around the world in different forms of detention for either rightly or wrongly committing an offence, yet do we repeatedly hear about any of these cases.

I have my own opinion about guilty/not guilty but I have to say the punishment fitting the crime seems a little off, from such a corrupt society. Consider the punishment for the Bali bombings which killed and severely injured many many people.

Anyway... back to Bali. Firstly I have to say that I have not been there and my comments are based on my other experiences. Over the past 12 years we have travelled the world quite a bit having been to about 47 different countries and obviously had many varied experiences. I remember the first holiday planning with my wifes high school friend (who runs a travel agency) and Bali came on the list as an affordable destination. We were strongly urged not to consider Bali in that basically it was a 3rd world sh!thole, and that there were plenty of nicer places in the world. So our first trip was to Singapore - Maldives - Singapore. This was for a little more cash than a Bali trip, but not as much as you would think.

Without getting into it, I have heard and read enough for me to have no interest to ever go to Bali, nor even encourage any family or friends to go there. During our travels we have met many other travellers and it's interesting when discussing places to and not to go that Bali comes up on the 'not to' list with many.

So if you want to get your Bintang on, go for it. However the world offers far better alternatives to this sh!thole.
Tonus72 likes this.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Angry

Leroy17

Yes the Bali bombings saw I think over 80 Australians killed. A simple side road bar bombed with hundreds of people injured as well.

I think there are numerous better destinations for surfing and holidaying.

The great Australian "schoolies week" celebration where thousand of under age kids celebrate and drink alcohol at the end of their high school years sees our kids now heading to Bali as an alternative now.

No checks on underage drinking. Alcohol that has been mixed with everything from chemicals to racing fuel - has nothing on moonshine - is as reported killing our kids.

The Police and authorities in Bali have no interest checking the age or welfare of our kids.

I feel as parents we should be encouraging our kids to stay out of Bali. Guess it is ok to head there as a family supervising kids but to let our 17 and 18 year olds head to Bali - what are we thinking -

Even then it begs the question why go there as a family...

Surely cheap beer and T shirts is not a good enough reason - the risks are then very high that you could come unstuck with drugs being planted, bags stolen, pick pocketed, assaults and rape etc.

Mmmm I am not seeing enough reasons to convince me...
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 02-09-2014 at 12:31 PM..
Old 02-09-2014, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

The Bali Nine sure get less air-time than she does... their story must not be as good for a tv mini-series

Just because you cry a lot when you get caught does not make you innocent.

Some people say I am cynical though
boxhead, Gav and leroy17 like this.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus72 View Post
The Bali Nine sure get less air-time than she does... their story must not be as good for a tv mini-series

Just because you cry a lot when you get caught does not make you innocent.

Some people say I am cynical though
Cynical Bastard that I am, I can understand that-Wouldn't think that any of the Bali nine are a cute/pretty/ handsome/good looking as one Sharpelle Corby !

Sad state of affairs when peoples judgement has really been based on the premise of because she's cute etc she couldn't possiblely have done the deed she's been convicted of and nothing else! It works on the same basis as endangered animal as well. If you aren't cute or look pretty your stuffed.
Just don't understand it.
Tonus72 likes this.

Harrison #100
Old 02-09-2014, 02:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"A washed with drugs and hookers. From marijuana, cocaine and heroine plentiful."

Just on this point alone Bali isn't Robinson Crusoe... Been through Bali many times since the late 80's as a surfer. Up to about trip number 9 from memory. Had my honeymoon in Sumba even. Yep its got all the above. Once the western crew hit it, it was on. Thailand, while I haven't been, and have no desire is apparently equal too, with their full moon parties and your steroids LEGAL. Thus the reason all the muscle jocks go to get a sun tan and get their "gear" legally.

When I first went to Indonesia and Bali in particular Smack was as plentiful as cold beer in the late 80's and pot was as common as the sun rising. They used to always say it was "snowing" a plenty in Bali. And you dipped if you dared.

Mind you, I've seen all the above at most places I travel. Somoa, Fiji, Tahiti, Cook islands, Tonga, Maldives, PNG... its there if you look. Bali tends to mix the seedy with the tourist easier thus the reason its more obvious. I home stayed with some locals in Morea in Tahiti for 6 weeks 2 years ago and despite its relative seclusion, gunga oclock and beers at 10 was as common as your local bread stick. The main difference was you drove to the local store drunk for tops ups throughout the day. Its crazy, just not in the headlines...

All that being said, you want a place awash with drugs, hookers and fight galore take a 5 minute drive from my front door and you can score all and more... Look for the street called CAVILL AVENUE!
Wazza likes this.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well --- today's the day -- she gets out. That is unless there's another delay thrown up by the Indonesians.

Guilty or not? Who really knows? She comes from a pretty suss family and as the old saying goes, the apple never falls far from the tree.

One of the Sunday Mail columnists wrote yesterday that the popular verdict seems to be that "she did an incredibly stupid thing and suffered an extraordinarily savage penalty under Indonesia law". My opinion is that, even if she were complicit in trying to carry some weed into Bali, twenty years is an impossibly severe sentence and I am thankful for her that her freedom is imminent.

I've only been to Bali once, and I found the countryside and the people, away from the cesspit that is Kuta, truly beautiful. Having said that however, I agree with the sentiments expressed by Bernie and Lee that there are better safer and less corrupt places in the region to visit. We visited Borneo a few years ago and stayed at Kuching in Sarawak and Kinabalu in Saba. Lovely vibe, happy people (except when my daughter innocently walked through the market in Sandarkan during Ramadan wearing shorts and sleeveless top -- not complying with the Muslim standard of dress for women! Oh well, live and learn...).

I'd go back to Malaysia for sure, but Bali? Don't think so. As Spook says, you want that sort of action? The Goldie's just down the road!

Last edited by Donunder; 02-09-2014 at 08:30 PM..
Old 02-09-2014, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC 393 Stroker
Not Ranked     
Angry Bali . Indonesia

Well,another soap opera re Shapelle Corby,as bad as Big Brother,just sh%t. Does any one care?. Bali Indonesia. As Prime Minister I would tell them "NO more Aid NO more Trade". Indonesia has no respect for Australia and we need to take a tougher line with their corrupt Goverment. Enough said.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackprince View Post
Well,another soap opera re Shapelle Corby,as bad as Big Brother,just sh%t. Does any one care?. Bali Indonesia. As Prime Minister I would tell them "NO more Aid NO more Trade". Indonesia has no respect for Australia and we need to take a tougher line with their corrupt Goverment. Enough said.
We are all so quick to throw stones...

Sad to say, but the times I spent in Bali I witness more foreigners (insert many-a-bogan) causing more trouble to the locals than the other way round... I was embarrassed for them
Funnily enough we were treated very well and have had no issues ourselves. I can't imagine why?

Drug, hookers and danger is right in your backyard... Kings Cross anyone?

Oh, and by the way, if you think WE are immune to corruption, or it is limited to other nations... Unions anyone...? Or is that too topical and political? Spying and tapping calls from pollies (Susilo Bumbang Yudhoyono) to thier wives then... No everyone does that... OK then... How about Children overboard anyone?

Just sayin' I've not experienced any issues travelling to Bali, that I haven't seen happen or experienced in many other places around our little world.

Enjoy and take care

Last edited by Dimis; 02-09-2014 at 06:05 PM..
Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

He he... you said Bumbang
guye and Gav like this.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy17 View Post
He he... you said Bumbang
You can probably get that there too LOL
Gav and Rog246 like this.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Lived in Indonesia for a few years in the mid 90's in Timika (Irian Jaya), Yogyakarta and Surabaya. Favourite was Yogya with its strong links to the royal family, visiting the various Palaces was a real eye opener...unfortunately I believe some were damaged during the 2006 earthquakes. My daughter was born in Surabaya.

Only went to Bali a few times to visit the Australian Embassy. Place was full of dickhead westerners and non Balinese taking advantage of their stupidity. Some nice areas outside of Kuta still exist such as Ubud.

Much prefer Phuket to Bali, had two nice holidays there with the kids and feel it's less of a ripoff. Be careful with activities such as jetskiing as the cops have it all tied up, crashing one may be an expensive exercise.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

I have been to Bali a few times over the years and have always really enjoyed it. I think Thailand is a better destination though.

If you respect the culture and people in another country you will generally not get into trouble.

I think people are getting a little carried away by the media now, it is probably more dangerous to walk around in many parts of the USA!

Ben
Old 02-10-2014, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 8000 Slab Side series, 289 High Pro , Eight Stack EFI system ,TKO500
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
I have been to Bali a few times over the years and have always really enjoyed it. I think Thailand is a better destination though.

If you respect the culture and people in another country you will generally not get into trouble.

I think people are getting a little carried away by the media now, it is probably more dangerous to walk around in many parts of the USA!

Ben
(it is probably more dangerous to walk around in many parts of the USA!)

You can bank on that!
think your neighbors have too many kids.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: kenmer
Not Ranked     

I must be bloody silly then, heading back for my fourth visit soon. Never had a problem whilst I've been there. I would feel safer walking in Legian or Seminyak than I would in melbourne or Sydney.Nothing good happens after 2am.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

Can we kill this topic, getting sick of the overexposure of Miss Corby in all the media. This is a cobra forum , not a place to debate this pro and cons of a neighbouring countries laws or customs, in which I like to have a bit of pleasure from car enthuiasts sharing their pride and joy.

PS Before you feel sorry for the woman, read "The Sins of the Father" and see what the family was really about. Especially the 'father' who kept quiet throughout the whole process until hi death.
I now expect some backlash.
Cobra01 likes this.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CMC #437, 408ci
Not Ranked     

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
Tonus72 and Cobra01 like this.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadndave View Post
Can we kill this topic, getting sick of the overexposure of Miss Corby in all the media. This is a cobra forum , not a place to debate this pro and cons of a neighbouring countries laws or customs, in which I like to have a bit of pleasure from car enthuiasts sharing their pride and joy.

PS Before you feel sorry for the woman, read "The Sins of the Father" and see what the family was really about. Especially the 'father' who kept quiet throughout the whole process until hi death.
I now expect some backlash.
Classic.....
Wants us to stop talking about this....fair enough...but are you kidding????...making a parting comment that we should read that crap written by Eamonn Duff ???

My God!

No wonder she never had a bloody chance....

Believe it or not....some grubs out there would beat up any bullshi* story just to make some money out of this girl's predicament.

Read "The Sins of the Father" by all means...but if you're keen on info about all of this...
also read this...
Sins Of The Father, Eamonn Duff: THE TRUTH

Hope she finds some peace....hard to imagine what hell she's been through for almost 10 years.

Back to Cobra stuff I'm guessing.
Cheers,
Warren
Old 02-10-2014, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427SC 482 Cammer
Not Ranked     

[/url]
Aussie Mike, Gav, jcraigau and 2 others like this.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

I rest my case...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: