Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Inj 5lt Windsor, T5, Jag Rear
Send a message via MSN to AC427LSX Send a message via Skype™ to AC427LSX
Not Ranked     

Ok, yes, I found this online, this is exactly what the front end looks like, so crown it is..

Would be interested to know others who have this front end and what mods they have done to it, to make it any better.

Cheers

Old 02-20-2014, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Sly,

I haven't modified mine as yet as it hasn't been begging for it. I’m running the original front springs cut down by 1 coil with Koni adjustable shocks, HQ disc’s and callipers and no sway bar.

The biggest down side is the slow steering, much slower than a rack & pinion. In the early days I toyed with fitting a power steering box to it, which is a faster ratio, but didn't want the eyesore of the pump and hoses, so it never happened. I think though I will graft a rack and pinion in. There's two ways to achieve this; either a suitable standard style rack with tie rods picking up the Ackerman arms or there's kits out there for converting Mustangs etc in which you retain the original tie rods and drag link. The rack then acts directly on the drag link. This retains the original geometry and bump steer etc.

I have played with different geometry and found that about 2 deg neg camber with a bit more caster worked well on the track. Any more seemed to play up on the street, unduced bump steer and wander.

Have you got vented disc's or the original 13mm solids? Later Crowns (MS85) had 20mm vented disc's, but HQ-HJ disc’s and callipers are a relatively easy swap. This gives you a thicker, 25mm vented disc and wider choice of aftermarket discs and callipers and also changes the stud pattern from Ford (4.5”) to match the Jag rear (4.75”). I can let you know details if you like.

You could go all out like Rotax98 on this forum with fabricated control arms, coil overs, different stubs etc, but that’s just given him a bunch of grief. He may have sorted it by now, I haven’t seen him since ’12 Nationals.

Not sure about that VIN number. The original Toyota chassis number should be stamped on the drivers side of the cross member just below the upper control arm mounts (looking into the engine bay). It should read MS65#### or MS85####. Those first 4 characters are the model number.

I'm also curious where the chassis has been shortened. The early ones simply took a chunk out of the side rail. Mine has the bulky steel pressings where the trailing arms mount removed. this gets the seats down to the correct height, and best lends itself to the Jag rear end.

Last edited by David Hodgson; 02-20-2014 at 01:32 PM..
Old 03-11-2014, 12:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Inj 5lt Windsor, T5, Jag Rear
Send a message via MSN to AC427LSX Send a message via Skype™ to AC427LSX
Not Ranked     

Hi David, thanks for the reply,

After doing a fair bit of driving over the last few weeks and speaking to my Chassis guy I have decided to give the front the chop, we are looking at cutting the front off where the Crown front end was stitched on and building custom front rails and putting a pre built IFS & power rack on it, as I am also putting in a LS engine this should make everything a lot easier.

I'm currently looking around for a IFS set up, if anyone knows of any good ones please feel free to post the details and any links.

Cheers
Old 03-11-2014, 02:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Why not approach one of the existing cobra builders and buy a front clip?
AC427LSX likes this.