Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Rog246
  • 1 Post By Rog246
  • 2 Post By Wazza
  • 1 Post By Aussie Mike

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: HARRISON, FORD 302, SOLD
Not Ranked     
Default Oil catch cans

I suspect my greasy plugs and sticky internals in the intake are being caused by my valve cover breather setup.

Ive got non baffled covers, one with just a breather and the other a breather that has a vacuum line running to the intake manifold. No pcv valve at all.

So my options are:

Buy new higher rocker covers with baffles (as there's bugger all clearance above the rockers now).

Squeeze in a baffled gommet ( just disovered those from Moroso)

Put a catch can in the vac line between the breather and intake.

Your thoughts on whats gone work best or any other ideas....do i need a pcv
valve in there somewhere?

Do you need the vacuum the draw out the blowby or just ditch that and let the catch can vent to atmosphere?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2014, 02:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Greg PCV's have been mandatory since Noah started in the 1st XI.
They are a good thing and they work. Give one a shot it'll help
Gav likes this.

Harrison #100
Old 03-16-2014, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

Had the same problem on my 289 ( with standard size valve covers), especially when I did sprints and regularity track days. Had catch can with lines from both valve covers (both with pcv) going into it, still had blowback , then fixed the problem with running both lines into one then into catch can inlet and a vacuum line from outlet on the can to either manifold or carby vacuum. After a hard workout on the track I empty catch can which usually has about 100ml oil.
Never had the problem when just doing normal driving on the road.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, I'll try the pcv then vac lines to manifold via catch can...........then I've got it all covered
Old 03-17-2014, 12:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

I am supprised that there is such little response, I would have thought that there would have been a variety of set ups to share.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Does that mean that you can't just run a breather from the rocker cover to the aircleaner?
JD
Old 03-17-2014, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

That would be a Yes-----you can't !
Towmaster likes this.

Harrison #100
Old 03-17-2014, 02:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I am supprised that there is such little response, I would have thought that there would have been a variety of set ups to share.
that's what I thought......maybe nobody likes me
Old 03-17-2014, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Here's what I did on my old car...

A couple of sealed breathers on the covers,with braided hose running up to a collection tank,with a good breather fitted on the top of it.

The tank had a tap to drain it,but it never got much in it,the oil mostly just blew up the braided hose,and ran back into the engine when racing.

The tank was also stuffed with steel wool to stop any slosh of oil if it collected any.

It worked really well, and it gave me something extra to polish !!

Then I stuck my "cobra nationals badges" on it.......FANCY !

Cheers,
Warren
Aussie Mike and guye like this.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So, Wazza yours did not have a vacuum hose.

What i'm trying to determine is, do the vapors need to be drawn into the tank using manifold vacuum or do they find there own way there?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

It's not the vapors that are the issue, it's crank case pressurization that you are trying to avoid.

Your engine is a pump with it's pistons going up and down. There is air being displaced from one cylinder to another inside the crank case. Your combustion pressure on the top of the piston is held in there by the seal of your valves and the seal of the rings. Your piston rings are designed with a taper in the back that lets the combustion pressure help push them out against the cylinder walls for a better seal.

That seal is never perfect so some of that combustion pressure leaks past and into the crank case. This is commonly know as blow by. It's not a problem but needs to be managed. If that leaked pressure from your combustion cant get out of the crank case you will build up positive pressure and start pushing the oil out of every gap it can find. The other bad thing crank case pressure does is act against that combustion pressure doing it's job pushing the rings against the cylinder walls for a better seal.

The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve was invented to combat that. By using engine vacuum any excess crank case pressure is drawn off into the intake. Ideally it will run with some negative pressure in the crank case helping the ring seal. It was also an early emissions device as it draws off any oil vapor and combustion gasses to be burned in the motor rather than venting to atmosphere.

The downside of this is that depending on how efficient the oil separator is you could be burning oil vapor in your combustion chamber which lowers the effective octane rating of the fuel.

I prefer venting to atmosphere but the important thing here is flow. There is no engine vacuum to help draw off that pressure so breathers or hoses to breather tanks /catch cans need to be be a good size.

My setup currently has a large catch can oil separator that is baffled internally. This is vented to atmosphere by a filter breather. The can is connected to the crank case via the valley plate via 2x AN#10. I chose the valley rather than the rocker covers as I figured there may be less oil vapor washing around in there than the valve covers. The bottom of the tank has another fitting with a 1 way check valve to allow collected oil to drain back to the sump on it's own.

Not saying it's ideal but it's the way I thought I'd try.

Cheers
guye likes this.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I run an LS1, so no oil breather issues, its only those boat anchors that give problems.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

OK, I have a dumb question. I am running fuel injection with no place to hook a line for vacuum to pull vapors and pressure out of the oil pan. I was thinking of getting two of the oil caps that plug into the valve covers and running hoses from them to a small catch can. But would that relieve the pressure?

Also second really dumb question. On a PCV Valve does it require a vacuum to open it or will the pressure push it open. I thought that it required a vacuum to open it and pull the vapors through.

Thanks,

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-19-2014, 02:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for that detailed explanation Mike, I've read many online and that's the clearest

I'm off the fleabay to get a few goodies.

Hey Boxy, thanks for your input, BTW isn't Mikes' an LS1
Old 03-19-2014, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Early LS motors like mine did have a few oil problems. I believe they run quite low tension on the rings so had a bit more blow by till well broken in. This made for a lot of oil vapor being pumped into the intake. When I pulled the manifold the ports were quite wet.

You may remember some complaints early on from Holden owners about their oil consumption.

The LS has gone through several generations of breather setup to combat the oil going into the intake. When I built this I just figured I'd eliminate it all together.

Cheers

Old 03-19-2014, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just dry sump it Greg... Stops all your problems....
Old 03-19-2014, 06:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The PCV does need vacuum to pull it open or some positive pressure on the underside to push it open. They are a 1 way check valve that usually has a light weight spring to keep them closed or are oriented so that gravity keeps it closed.

Cheers

Old 03-19-2014, 11:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Just dry sump it Greg... Stops all your problems....
would you STOP encouraging me to spend more bluddy money Ash.......I only just bolted on a new Moroso high cap sump and swinging pickup

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: