Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sambo

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 06:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     
Default importing a cobra ?

I have a friend who imports cars from the states all the time as in containers on the water or at customs all the time . he mainly brings in old cars from the 50's old Cadillac's and things with big fins ect ect .

that got me thinking what would my chances be of getting one from the states and converting to rhd what would be the procedure to getting it on the road here if at all it could . ?

I see some very nice cars over there for reasonable money and what he quoted me to bring it into the country did not scare me at all im just wondering if the logistics of it is worth it . I see there is about 25 to 30 cobas advertised at any one time aust wide .
some are just over the top in price some of the cheaper ones seem ok then there are some nice middle ground cars that seem to be priced pretty much on the ball.
im just waiting for some land to sell and then I will be buying a cobra . just where from is the question, so if any one has been thru this process and has any advice good or bad im happy to take it all on board.

cheers dean.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Big topic!!!

I'm not gunna start!
Old 04-23-2014, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default research is your friend

As Towy suggests its an opinionated topic.. but to help PM Tengu, 750HP, Donunder, Soul, Craig White and a few others all of which can help you with their experiences with importing cobras. Search the Australian Forum there's a fair bit of discussion there.

My advice seeing as though your asking is buy Australian. I have owned locally manufactured as well as currently non registered left hooker import. There's some great 2nd hand cars out there on the market officially and not officially as well as some pretty nice cars coming out of the local producers.

There's a National Cobra event coming up at Wakefield Park in October Labour Day long weekend. Walk around, introduce yourself and ask heaps of questions. You may even do a deal on a car while your there!

Spookypt
Old 04-23-2014, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Dean are you talking about importing a genuine Cobra or a replica? If a replica is OK, you can buy a very nice one locally for the same money as importing one from o/s, minus the import hassles, RHD conversion, compliance, etc. A budget of 60-70k will get you into a nice example.
Rog246 likes this.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Now this will rock the establishments apple cart but...

IMHO - More often than not the Aussie kits are a better build and conceived bit of kit.
In my experience, many US kits drive like 50years old cars.

Just think, if Robnell, classic revival or Harrison (etc) were US kits the'd be more highly regarded and celebrated.

Just sayin' grass anit always greener.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

talking replica a genuine one is way out of my budget till the 6 numbers come up ..its all just a plan till our block is sold but I really don't want to spend much more than 60 if I can get away with it ..
I really didn't think it would have been such a hot topic in a global market I buy a lot of stuff os for our race cars as the economy I need to look after first is my own then the country's :-)

I would imagine there would be a lot of cars in garages ect that don't get advertised but would be for sale if the right money was been offered word of mouth around the clubs would be the way to track these down I suppose . .

thanks for the tips advice and replies so far
regards dean
Old 04-24-2014, 12:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
talking replica a genuine one is way out of my budget till the 6 numbers come up ..its all just a plan till our block is sold but I really don't want to spend much more than 60 if I can get away with it ..
I really didn't think it would have been such a hot topic in a global market I buy a lot of stuff os for our race cars as the economy I need to look after first is my own then the country's :-)

I would imagine there would be a lot of cars in garages ect that don't get advertised but would be for sale if the right money was been offered word of mouth around the clubs would be the way to track these down I suppose . .

thanks for the tips advice and replies so far
regards dean

Hi Dean,

If you are interested in a registered/nice street car...

Send me your e-mail address to
warrenboylan427@gmail.com

I've got two members that have just recently decided to sell...
Very nice cars,at very nice prices, and I can send you all of the pics and details.

(That goes for anyone else that's looking in the $50,000 - $60,000 range as well)

Many Thanks,

Warren BOYLAN,
Club President,
Cobra Car Club of Qld. Inc.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
...I really didn't think it would have been such a hot topic in a global market I buy a lot of stuff os for our race cars as the economy I need to look after first is my own then the country's :-)...
Hi Dean.

The 'hot topic' you are sensing is not the traditional 'buy local' not global argument I think you are referring to. The issues about importing, that are well documented and discussed ad nauseum through this forum, are more about the legals, registration restrictions, etc.

Of course, if you are not interested in registering the vehicle then this is not an issue. Otherwise, search on....!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: