Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree327Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2015, 04:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Ready for the Nationals Ben?
Old 08-25-2015, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav View Post
Ready for the Nationals Ben?
that is certainly the plan
Aussie Mike, guye, boxhead and 2 others like this.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

I had 24 hours of set back. Got my tailshaft, made to order of course by GJ Drivelines, a good solid bit of kit. Unfortunately I could not get it to fit in, no matter what I tried. I could actually get it far enough back in length but then was on such an angle that it wouldn't go into the gearbox. Tried dropping the gearbox, raising the gearbox, dropping the diff et al, no go.

So I bit the bullet, and the whole rear-end came out. Both rear knuckles and driveshafts, and then pulled the diff out. Tailshaft in, and put it all back together. Pulling the diff out/in on your own, with the car on stands is no easy feat, it needs to go in at about 45 degrees to clear various bits of chassis. My neck hurts. I NEVER want to do that again!

So the rear is now buttoned up AGAIN.

Also put the brake/clutch reservoirs on, finished the roll bars and dress rings, and tightened down the last of the front brake hard lines. In doing so I think I need to spin my shocks around or the nitrogen valve may hit on the lower arm at compression. Sheesh. Now the front has to come partly apart again.

Coated exhaust will be back early next week. No firing this weekend.
guye and PeterAllen like this.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Well done Ben, great work, lots of mucking around, but all worth it in the end.

This will be all behind you in 5 weeks time when you are hurtling down the main straight at Wakefield Park at full noise :-)

cheers

Gregg
Old 08-28-2015, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Hoist

Ben,

I have a hoist, 2 or 4 post, trailer, tranny lift and beer.

Stiffy
Beejay likes this.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

thanks stiffy. not worth the trouble of transporting. much easier to stuff my back. I was done in three hours.
Old 08-28-2015, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default 3 hours

Benny,

But how many beers ?

Stiffy
Old 08-29-2015, 01:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Puckett 250 GTO - LS1
Not Ranked     

Ben. I gave a 'like' to your post about the tailshaft install and then the need to reverse front shocks.

I don't really like that you had to do these but it was an expression of empathy. As I get to the end I find so many items I thought I had 90% finished, with just a few fitting or bling details to do, require yet another 90% time and effort.
deano59, Rog246 and Modena like this.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Today I have mixed feelings.

reversed the front shocks, feeling much happier about that now
bled the brakes, got the pedal rock hard, all seems good
bled the clutch, pedal feels good, can turn / non-turn the tailshaft as expected so it seems ok
filled the power steering
filled the cooling system.....and that's where we hit a speed bump.

The radiator has a 45 degree angle welded on to the bottom outlet, and the weld has a pinhole in it. Very small, it wasn't until some time after I had put in 5 litres of coolant and 8 litres of water that I noticed a very small puddle floor. It's giving about 1 drop per hour.

I reckon it could be tigged up in place, I would be able to get my tig torch in there but I only have scratch-start DC and I need an AC machine to do aluminium.

Otherwise does anyone have any experience or recomendations with the metal paste type stuff that is for stopping leaks? I'm not interested in putting a 'stop leak' type of thing into the coolant, but is there something that can be put on the outside to seal the pinhole? The welding option is preferred.

Don't even say take the radiator out, that is not happening.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

like this
Selleys Knead It Steel - Epoxy Putty | Selleys Australia

Old 08-29-2015, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Its a pity you don't live closer Ben.

You could try dot punching around the pin hole to see if you can move enough metal to close up the pinhole.

I'm not so keen on using a putty to repair as when it comes to welding it up properly you will need to grind all of it out.

I've had some success with Devcon. Its a metalized 2 part putty and it sets rpck hard. You can machine it once its gone off.

If you do pull the rad bring it over and I'll weld it for you.

Cheers

Old 08-29-2015, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Fixed the bottom of the race Cobra's radiator (after a nasty off at the track)with "knead it".....never leaked a drop ....was still perfect after 6 years,when I sold the car.
Great stuff.
Cheers,
Warren
Old 08-29-2015, 03:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Dot punching works well, my custom fab 8 stack intake had a pin hole.I got a centre punch gave it a light tap then finished with a flat punch. Never leaked again, however this was into reasonably thick alloy plate.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I would try the pin punch method first, forget welding it up with coolant in it, it will spit and fart all over the place when the water vapour expands as its heated.