Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 06:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

I can kill two birds with one stone as my son lives near Brisbane so I will be staying with him when I go looking at cobras is just a bonus :-) . there is also a nice factory built g force down in tassie that's a nice car also a fair bit cheaper but def not in the same league as the red one in qld but well worth looking at for the money as well......as for ceva ive tried ringing them all morning but keep getting a recorded message saying there office ours are from 8.30 to 5.00 Monday to fri but I get the message at 10.00 am on a weds lol must be having a day off I think ..I def haven't got my mind made up on any one particular car.
it will be the one that feels right I guess I will know when I sit in it and drive it .

cheers dean
Old 04-29-2014, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

If you haven't driven one before, be gentle with the accelerator pedal.

You may well have driven powerful cars before, but the short wheel base and light weight, really can bite fast.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

cheers boxhhead :-) I actually built one of paul woollys kits about 15 yrs ago and helped build another with a friend so not quite a stranger to cobra's . altho its been quite a while since driving one I will be gentle esp on a test drive ..raced short wheel base turbo torana's at speedway for many years so I know how quick short wheelbase cars can snap out and grab ya ..that one of the reasons I race commodores now as there a bit more predictable been a old fart I need all the help I can get .

ok ceva just got back to me with a price to bring it down in a enclosed truck and it comes to a tad over $1600 bucks time to start crunching numbers to see if this one is doable to be honest while this is a fantastic car its up at the higher end of the budget I can see this one might cost me a new kitchen as well lol.
boxhead likes this.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
I can see this one might cost me a new kitchen as well lol.
Thats cheap, mine cost me a Holiday House

I figured she's ahead by a mile so I can keep on spending
deano59 and boxhead like this.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Good luck Deano - it cost me a kitchen just to get my shed...

What the hell will it cost me when I take the next step and order the Cobra???

I hate to think!

Tony
Old 04-30-2014, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus72 View Post
Good luck Deano - it cost me a kitchen just to get my shed...

What the hell will it cost me when I take the next step and order the Cobra???

I hate to think!

Tony
there is a really neat g force cobra for sale down your way ive been in contact with the owners and they will take 50g for it might be worth a look for you if ya keen . if I don't get the one in qld I will give the one down in tassie a look over as well ..
Old 04-30-2014, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ?????
Not Ranked     

Hi Deano

I am in it for the build mate... I have a deposit on a Pace 427 and want to know every nut and bolt.

But, if you need someone to have a look (or more importantly a test drive!) give me a yell!!

Happy to help

Tony
Old 04-30-2014, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonus72 View Post
Hi Deano

I am in it for the build mate... I have a deposit on a Pace 427 and want to know every nut and bolt.

But, if you need someone to have a look (or more importantly a test drive!) give me a yell!!

Happy to help

Tony
congrats on the pace mate I only wish lol ive already built one cobra from scratch and this time around just want to buy turn key and ready to go ..
all the best with it tho .
Old 04-30-2014, 04:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

That car is a work of art, custom build by DRB. LED lights everywhere, stereo, 335's on the rear a real nice car. Soft top too so you could drive to Adelaide in comfort. From memory it had cruise control also. I wouldn't think twice about driving it down there, just do it, you only live once mate!!
boxhead likes this.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     
Wink

Totally agree --its a steel
Just do it --you haven't lived yet
boxhead likes this.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmaster View Post
That car is a work of art, custom build by DRB. LED lights everywhere, stereo, 335's on the rear a real nice car. Soft top too so you could drive to Adelaide in comfort. From memory it had cruise control also. I wouldn't think twice about driving it down there, just do it, you only live once mate!!
just on that subject how effective are the soft tops at keeping the rain and cold wind out ? do they work good enough so you can feel warmth thru the cars heaters ?

cheers dean
Old 05-01-2014, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
just on that subject how effective are the soft tops at keeping the rain and cold wind out ? do they work good enough so you can feel warmth thru the cars heaters ?

cheers dean
I didn't think QLDer's installed heaters

My limited experience has been good from soft tops with side curtains increasing the comfort level and dryness of the cabin. I would think enough heat would come from the foot boxes to knock the chill off.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hodgson View Post
I didn't think QLDer's installed heaters
We need them David.

It can get quite brisk up here the last two weeks in July. I remember about fifteen years ago we got right down to single digits one day.
guye, boxhead and leroy17 like this.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

its bloody cold down here in Adelaide atm have the wood fire going . im not even game to venture out to the workshop and do some actual work lol
Old 05-07-2014, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

just a thought that popped into my head .I know this car has full rego in qld it should pass in sa as well then ?

when my son bought his turbo skyline he had to take it for a check at regency . but not where they go right thru them just were they only checked engine numbers and vin and issued him with new plates do you think it would be the same with the cobra ?

cheers dean
Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did your son buy his Skyline from interstate?

In any case get on the blower to:

1) The SA Cobra Club. Have any members brought a car in from interstate? What hoops did they have to jump through? (It may be easier than you think.)

And then if necessary,

2) Regency Park. Tell them it's a Cobra -- an individually constructed vehicle -- with full reg and compliance in Qld, and that you're confident it would pass a Tier 2 inspection if required, but that you're concerned about going ahead with the purchase if there is going to be any sort of impediment to gaining full SA reg'n. Have as much info about the car at your fingertips when you make the call, and remember an ICV such as a Cobra always causes more consternation with transport departments than does a normal production car like a Skyline.

You should find that everything will be fine, but seeing there is no common system of vehicle registration between the various states, you may have to negotiate some bureaucratic BS first.

Nothing comes easy in this business. Write down everything you're being told, get names and direct phone contact numbers if you can, stay positive and factual, but above all -- stay calm! Dean I hope you get lucky with the people you'll be dealing with and find some who are genuinely willing to help. They do exist. Good luck!
Chook likes this.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donunder View Post
Did your son buy his Skyline from interstate?

In any case get on the blower to:

1) The SA Cobra Club. Have any members brought a car in from interstate? What hoops did they have to jump through? (It may be easier than you think.)

And then if necessary,

2) Regency Park. Tell them it's a Cobra -- an individually constructed vehicle -- with full reg and compliance in Qld, and that you're confident it would pass a Tier 2 inspection if required, but that you're concerned about going ahead with the purchase if there is going to be any sort of impediment to gaining full SA reg'n. Have as much info about the car at your fingertips when you make the call, and remember an ICV such as a Cobra always causes more consternation with transport departments than does a normal production car like a Skyline.

You should find that everything will be fine, but seeing there is no common system of vehicle registration between the various states, you may have to negotiate some bureaucratic BS first.

Nothing comes easy in this business. Write down everything you're being told, get names and direct phone contact numbers if you can, stay positive and factual, but above all -- stay calm! Dean I hope you get lucky with the people you'll be dealing with and find some who are genuinely willing to help. They do exist. Good luck!
thanks for the reply don much appreciated
yes my sons skyline come from vic to sa . ive just shot off a email with a link to the car to one of the engineers who deals with icv so I am hoping he may be able to set me straight and help with some of my fears .

in reality when a interstate car comes here it usually just goes for a vin and engine number check if they match your sent over to the rego dept to pay the stamp duty and get your plate and pay the rego and your on your way I am hoping the cobra wont be any different . the last thing I want/need is to pay for and get a car here and then have to fight city hall to get it on the road here .

I had so many probs 15 yrs ago getting my old cobra thru im sure they have my name on some sort of black list lol .

cheers dean
Old 05-12-2014, 08:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hi all :-)
this car has been sold and goes to its new owner tomorrow not me im afraid .so the hunt goes on . I found a nice g force car in tassie nice clean unit and looks the part . the owner was kind enough to fax me all the engineers reports on the car so I could browse thru them . I emailed them to one of the engineers here in sa for his opinion if the car would pass for rego here . sadly altho the car has been engineered and on the road for quite a few yrs the amount of detail or lack of detail in the report he would not sign off on it with out the car going thru brake testing and lane change testing . the engineers report I got sent says these test have been done but it doesn't give any figures or info on how well the car did
I would be looking for around $3500 to $4500 to have the car re engineered here in sa and even more cost if things needed to be changed . this is likely to be the same scenario with almost any car I bought from interstate depending on how much detail come with the engineering report that come with the car . what a pain in the arse .

so my best bet is too look for a car here in sa that's already on the road . so if anyone has a g force or a rmc ect here in sa that your thinking of selling let me know . who would have thought it would have been this hard .
cheers dean
Old 05-12-2014, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I emailed them to one of the engineers here in sa for his opinion if the car would pass for rego here . sadly altho the car has been engineered and on the road for quite a few yrs the amount of detail or lack of detail in the report he would not sign off on it with out the car going thru brake testing and lane change testing . the engineers report I got sent says these test have been done but it doesn't give any figures or info on how well the car did
I would be looking for around $3500 to $4500 to have the car re engineered here in sa and even more cost if things needed to be changed . this is likely to be the same scenario with almost any car I bought from interstate depending on how much detail come with the engineering report that come with the car . what a pain in the arse...
Is this engineer seeking to find a away to pay his HECS bill?

If the car (VIN, Rego and paperwork stating ADR compliance) is legitimate, approved, and authorized, on what authority, or logic does this engineer claim you need to seek his approval?

I mean what does it matter what HE thinks?
It's been certified, and approved meeting a national code and regulations.
I would have thought nothing more to it than that!

PS: Pitty about the Blood Orange DRB... There will be others...
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Is this engineer seeking to find a away to pay his HECS bill?

If the car (VIN, Rego and paperwork stating ADR compliance) is legitimate, approved, and authorized, on what authority, or logic does this engineer claim you need to seek his approval?

I mean what does it matter what HE thinks?
It's been certified, and approved meeting a national code and regulations.
I would have thought nothing more to it than that!

PS: Pitty about the Blood Orange DRB... There will be others...
hi there
apparently to report is not comprehensive enough while it states it's passed brake and and lane change testing it doesn't say by what margins and percentages ect here is a reply from the engineer I have taken out who it is as im still trying to get this car thru and don't wish to upset anyone along the way :-)

Hi, have looked at the report and it covers most things, lacking the detail I include.

eg individual light certification numbers, reference only to other approval seats, side door beams door locks and many other items.

No detail on tests for brake fade or lane change handling, just reference that these were done and satisfactory.....

I insist every car is brake fade and handling tested..as experience shows this is essential due to assembly variances (and errors)

the report that the car owners give me includes the certificates from the original engineer who passed it in nsw but seeing as the car has to be checked over before it can be regod here it still needs a engineer to approve it im led to believe
cheers dean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: