Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     
Default Kincrome outlet

Sale on for the next few days...
Just thought I'd post for those local and looking...

Kincrome Factory Outlet

Happy shopping...

Enjoy.
LoBelly and sambo like this.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Its a real shame about the slow and painful demise of Sidchrome tools.
My dad back in the day worked for the Aust. Atomic Energy Commission and every year they tested all hand tools to destruction, and every year it was Sidchrome that toppped the list, ahead of the likes of Stahlewille, Snap-on, Britool etc and stayed that way until the sale of Scruttins who owned Sidchrome. They lasted about 12-18 months and then the quality really started to drop off apparently.

Harrison #100
Old 05-15-2014, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427S, Coyote Aluminator
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog246 View Post
Its a real shame about the slow and painful demise of Sidchrome tools.
My dad back in the day worked for the Aust. Atomic Energy Commission and every year they tested all hand tools to destruction, and every year it was Sidchrome that toppped the list, ahead of the likes of Stahlewille, Snap-on, Britool etc and stayed that way until the sale of Scruttins who owned Sidchrome. They lasted about 12-18 months and then the quality really started to drop off apparently.
Hi Rog246,

I was not aware that Scruttins had a stake in Sidchrome. As far as I know Scruttins were an industrial supply company and would never have had the legs to purchase Sidchrome. I knew that Stanley bought them out in 1990 and proceeded to change the name to Proto-Sidchrome and then dropped the Sidchrome name altogether and replaced the product with Proto. Aussies reacted to this move in no mean fashion and boycotted Proto as an over priced Made in USA product and would not have a bar of it.

After a long period in the wilderness, Sidchrome advertising started cropping up on bill boards all over the place with the re-invented "you canna hand a man a grander spanner" slogan and this was the time that Victor Bray and his door slammer started sporting Sidchrome sponsorship.

Sidchrome manufacturing never resumed in Australia and were supplied from Taiwan from the same suppliers that supply several large tool brands available here, same product, different brands and all are acceptable quality

The arrogance exercised by the purchaser of Sidchrome to change the name of an icon and expect to get away with it was beyond belief. I was working in the tool industry at the time (and still do) and can remember the disbelief when we first started to hear the rumours. Reminds me of the time the boffins decided to change the Re-Po polish bottle from a glass container with a finger hole to a plastic squeeze bottle, sales disappeared over night. Re-po came back to the market with a plastic bottle with a finger hole and exists to this day.

Rog246, if you know some more info than what I have about Scruttins, please let me know as I have a great interest in Australian tools, particularly being the Agent for one of Australia's "still standing" hand tool manufacturers which got it's start in 1921.

I am also digging out my Sidchrome tool set (open end, ring and socket set) that I got from my parents for my 21st birthday in January 1971 and giving it a clean up this week end. I also have John Siddons book "Spanner in the Works".

All info will be greatly received.

Cheers

Russell
guye, Modena and d488y2 like this.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

$70 5 draw boxes among other things for those interested

Kincrome Factory Outlet

Xmas gift options anyone?
Old 08-30-2017, 05:57 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Thank you Russell

Hi Russell. I registered on this forum to thank you for this little bit of history. I remember when Sidchrome went down the tubes so to speak. However, I still have a number of Sidchrome sockets and spanners that were in my dad's kit after he died. He did his mechanic apprenticeship in the late fifties if I recall correctly. I was born in '63 and I believe he was working as a mechanic then. He then went on to be a diesel fitter. Sadly, many of his tools have been stolen from me, including a set of Sidchrome 3/4 drive sockets and associated hardware. As a digression, I spent my high school years in Strathpine QLD and knew Victor and his brothers in the days when he would drive his '57 from Kallangur (up the road from Strathpine) where his family had the Tomato farm to Surfers Paradise to the drags. We used to get a kick out of seeing Victor in the Chev (sans front bumper) tooling up Gympie Road. Victor was our hero, and I guess still is. I was also lucky enough to see the first truck drags at Surfers, and in the late 80s, went to Melbourne to see the first Truck Grand Prix. Surfer's was funny. When the truck drags were on, you'd rock up there and there would be 20 odd trailers de-hitched on the road outside the circuit because in those days they were all work vehicles, not purpose built beasts. I still remember the old Green round nose Mack that would always destroy the competition. Anyway, thanks again for that Sidchrome history lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell9318 View Post
Hi Rog246,

I was not aware that Scruttins had a stake in Sidchrome. As far as I know Scruttins were an industrial supply company and would never have had the legs to purchase Sidchrome. I knew that Stanley bought them out in 1990 and proceeded to change the name to Proto-Sidchrome and then dropped the Sidchrome name altogether and replaced the product with Proto. Aussies reacted to this move in no mean fashion and boycotted Proto as an over priced Made in USA product and would not have a bar of it.

After a long period in the wilderness, Sidchrome advertising started cropping up on bill boards all over the place with the re-invented "you canna hand a man a grander spanner" slogan and this was the time that Victor Bray and his door slammer started sporting Sidchrome sponsorship.

Sidchrome manufacturing never resumed in Australia and were supplied from Taiwan from the same suppliers that supply several large tool brands available here, same product, different brands and all are acceptable quality

The arrogance exercised by the purchaser of Sidchrome to change the name of an icon and expect to get away with it was beyond belief. I was working in the tool industry at the time (and still do) and can remember the disbelief when we first started to hear the rumours. Reminds me of the time the boffins decided to change the Re-Po polish bottle from a glass container with a finger hole to a plastic squeeze bottle, sales disappeared over night. Re-po came back to the market with a plastic bottle with a finger hole and exists to this day.

Rog246, if you know some more info than what I have about Scruttins, please let me know as I have a great interest in Australian tools, particularly being the Agent for one of Australia's "still standing" hand tool manufacturers which got it's start in 1921.

I am also digging out my Sidchrome tool set (open end, ring and socket set) that I got from my parents for my 21st birthday in January 1971 and giving it a clean up this week end. I also have John Siddons book "Spanner in the Works".

All info will be greatly received.

Cheers

Russell

Last edited by Gryphonn; 08-30-2017 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: Added 'ed' to 'register'
Old 08-30-2017, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

i just bought a set of sidchrome ring spanners both metric and imperial they are the old made in australia from the 80's but look brand new for $60 bucks i couldn't help myself im a compulsive sidchrome collector and always on the lookout for the older ones .
must have close to 250 or more of them in various tool boxes..
im sure it's a disease i have with them lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: