Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Australian Cobra Club (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/)
-   -   why are cobra's hard to buy lol (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/australian-cobra-club/129327-why-cobras-hard-buy-lol.html)

deano59 06-15-2014 11:16 PM

why are cobra's hard to buy lol

the last 6 months ive been looking to buy a cobra have cash so not depending on finance or have to sell a car to get the money but I have a budget of course . ive been given a few leads ive talked to a few owners . ive kept a eye on most of the car sale sites carpoint ect ect . ive flown interstate and the car really wasn't in the same condition the pictures showed .
but the bit that peeves me you see something that might meet your requirement's on carpoint for example and you ring only to find the car has been sold months ago for gods sake take the bloody advert down lol .

I check out other states clubs for sale sections if I had more free time and shed space I would be tempted to buy a roller and build the rest , but after building my first one I swore I would buy one and save a couple of yrs lol

end of my rant

cheers dean

spookypt 06-15-2014 11:29 PM

Dean, in 3 and a bit months the Cobra Nationals will be on. Best opportunity to see all makes and models in one place. Make a weekend of it as we're there for at least 3 days. Walk around and check out everyone's cars and if you see one you like, nicely ask if they may be interested in selling. You'll see it driven at pace, hear it, sit in it, see it, smell it...you might even get taken for a blat in it, you can talk to some others in the know about it and then part with your dough.

Walk from down pit straight towards the start line. if you don't you're likely to get stuck in ABSO Pace's shed and hand ya money over before you see anything elese. You've been warned. If any other vendors are there like Cobra Kits, Python, ByDesign, Krenmer, Factory 5, DRB, CR and all the rest way up the pro's and cons too. We don't see anywhere near as many manufacturers as we used to but that's a sign of the times I guess.

Then walk up to shed 26 on pit straight and say hi and tell me what you bought! Mines not for sale. :D

Spookypt

deano59 06-15-2014 11:51 PM

cheers spookypt maybe I need to hang a sign around my neck with wanting to buy lol
as much as how nice the pace and factory five kits ect ect are I really don't want to have to go thru the process of building again even tho they look a lot easier than the body and chassis kit I did yrs ago and they always cost more than what you budget for and I know they would cost more than what I have to spend I know my budget will put me into a nice car going by what I have seen advertised its just finding one that looks like it suits me . ie colour interior ect ect .......by all the pace kits been sold there must be some nice secondhand cars coming onto the market as people trade up to them . im really not in a rush but get frustrated by adds that should have been taken down or photos that were taken when the car was built not what it looks like 10 yrs later and you fly interstate to find that out ....at the moment in my shed there are 2 race cars and two car trailers I simply don't have the room to build one nor do I want too ..where are the nationals been held this yr ? ive decided I don't want a Toyota crown build car nor do I need something with 500 hp or a extended length carI just want a nice sunday cruiser car the wife and I can enjoy hell I would even prefer a auto see im not that fussy :-)

Legless 06-16-2014 12:26 AM

Careful about wandering round the nationals with a sign round your neck saying you want to buy.... you never know what you'll be offered. :eek:

deano59 06-16-2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legless (Post 1306272)
Careful about wandering round the nationals with a sign round your neck saying you want to buy.... you never know what you'll be offered. :eek:

I could end up legless :-)

spookypt 06-16-2014 04:19 AM

Nats

Cobra nationals are at Wakefield park goulburn.

Often cold and wet but friendships made are very warming.

beauies 06-16-2014 06:01 AM

What about this one.

2003 AC Shelby Cobra Cobra Silver Black 5SP M Convertible in Blakehurst, NSW | eBay

deano59 06-16-2014 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beauies (Post 1306333)

I haven't seen that one on e bay and I look everyday yeah im not really keen on the torana front ends they look very much like the drb in the body as well .don't shoot me drb owners but im not keen on the shape of there cars

keep them coming tho will be a nice bottle of scotch or a carton of ya fav beer if you find me a car and I buy it . must be able to get rego in sa without getting full engineering done again so must have copies of the engineering done on the car when built as it helps with rego down this end
cheers dean

Paintwerks 06-16-2014 04:57 PM

Plus on that car, the painter hasn't laid the stripes out correctly. They haven't been tapered so at the bottom of the boot, they look wider.

Not a fan of the gauge layout either.

deano59 06-16-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paintwerks (Post 1306421)
Plus on that car, the painter hasn't laid the stripes out correctly. They haven't been tapered so at the bottom of the boot, they look wider.

Not a fan of the gauge layout either.

I have the specs for the tapered stripes here somewhere I made a set for a friends cobra a few yrs ago . I have my own vinyl cutter here to sign write our race cars . worked out cheaper to buy the machine 15 yrs ago than get a sign writer in a few times .

deano59 06-16-2014 06:06 PM

not sure that car would pass rego here in sa im sure we have to have headrest on them

salzee 06-16-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano59 (Post 1306267)
the last 6 months ive been looking to buy a cobra

I know the feeling. Try living in Canada and looking at eBay for 6 months to finally find the perfect match and price via Buy Now to only find out that Kit Cars don't ship from Country to Country nor State to State.

Hang in there my friend. It took me roughly 6 months to find one locally and I have absolutely no regrets :)

Good luck!

Tenrocca 06-16-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deano59 (Post 1306336)
I haven't seen that one on e bay and I look everyday yeah im not really keen on the torana front ends they look very much like the drb in the body as well .don't shoot me drb owners but im not keen on the shape of there cars

keep them coming tho will be a nice bottle of scotch or a carton of ya fav beer if you find me a car and I buy it . must be able to get rego in sa without getting full engineering done again so must have copies of the engineering done on the car when built as it helps with rego down this end
cheers dean

The Homebush actually has a very nice shape. The arse end shot may be a bit deceptive in that listing.

I actually think finding a decent 2nd hand cobra "ready to go" in your budget isnt that easy. Eliminate drb on body shape ( I concur) theres 30-40% out, take out autos, another 20% gone, poorly done non original style interiors, take out 20% of cars (seriously, you can do a good original style interior quite cheap - why people do low budget modern interiors is beyond me), if you take out chevy's theres another 10% gone, way over your budget - take off 40% of advertised cars. Theres 120% of the available cars off the shopping list (My math may be off there :))

That said - I reckon the bronze RMC on carsales for 59900 looks a very tidy car. Not a colour I would go but the car does look tidy - ditch the tacky cobra head shifter knob though. A little bit of vomit comes up when I see those. Been for sale for a while now.

deano59 06-16-2014 06:44 PM

I did try and contact the owner of the rmc for no reply some time back .doesn't have to be auto I can convert it myself as I have a buggered left leg from a motor bike prang and some clutches give me trouble . prefer ford over chev .
do prefer old school interior . and your correct out of most of the cars for sale the majority are drb not sure if it's cause so many were built or other reasons . im not in a rush and someone told me a while ago there are more cobras for sale than there are people looking for them heck even a older kit with a carby would be ok but again depending on the car . some cars in my opinion are just overpriced and the market reflects that by how long they have been advertised I would love to get ever dollar back I spend on the race car when I sell but its never going to happen like anything there only worth what someone else is willing to pay no matter what you have spent on them so you have to decide at some point to accept the best offer you get or keep it and enjoy it .

in the mean time I shall keep looking its still a long time to summer lol.
cheers dean

deano59 06-16-2014 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenrocca (Post 1306445)
The Homebush actually has a very nice shape. The arse end shot may be a bit deceptive in that listing.

I actually think finding a decent 2nd hand cobra "ready to go" in your budget isnt that easy. Eliminate drb on body shape ( I concur) theres 30-40% out, take out autos, another 20% gone, poorly done non original style interiors, take out 20% of cars (seriously, you can do a good original style interior quite cheap - why people do low budget modern interiors is beyond me), if you take out chevy's theres another 10% gone, way over your budget - take off 40% of advertised cars. Theres 120% of the available cars off the shopping list (My math may be off there :))

That said - I reckon the bronze RMC on carsales for 59900 looks a very tidy car. Not a colour I would go but the car does look tidy - ditch the tacky cobra head shifter knob though. A little bit of vomit comes up when I see those. Been for sale for a while now.

just got off the ph with the owner of the rmc car is near Newcastle car runs a 351 clevland in it and lpg to meet emissions he is going to email me the engineers report for me to look at over the weekend as he is a trucky and not home much he assures me its more a reddish orange than a bronze depending on how the light hits it .

David Hodgson 06-18-2014 05:17 AM

Deano, that bronze cobra was built by Steve & Ursula Ringstad, long time club and committee members. It is the Holden bronze that was used on VT commodores.
It was a good honest car, and from what I remember, took out a few awards. Not a convincing selling point but one I remember was "best sounding Cobra" at the nats one year.

Tenrocca 06-18-2014 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Hodgson (Post 1306709)
Deano, that bronze cobra was built by Steve & Ursula Ringstad, long time club and committee members. It is the Holden bronze that was used on VT commodores.
It was a good honest car, and from what I remember, took out a few awards. Not a convincing selling point but one I remember was "best sounding Cobra" at the nats one year.

I thought it was the same car but as the name on the add didnt match I wasnt sure - hadnt realised they had sold it.

Dont knock the best sounding award - a well known former club president with one of the best sounding cobra Ive ever heard would love that trophy in his cabinet. All he listens to these days though are air cooled flat fours though....

:)

deano59 06-18-2014 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenrocca (Post 1306713)
I thought it was the same car but as the name on the add didnt match I wasnt sure - hadnt realised they had sold it.

Dont knock the best sounding award - a well known former club president with one of the best sounding cobra Ive ever heard would love that trophy in his cabinet. All he listens to these days though are air cooled flat fours though....

:)

cheers for that I was hoping someone on here would know the car and as usual you guys have come across ..not sure I would get it thru rego here with just the side pipes tho I may have to put anew exhaust under it too pass if I get it the car looks like its been looked after ..

cheers dean

Legless 06-18-2014 04:14 PM

Yeah I know the car as well, I agree its a very neat and tidy car, well put together and finished. I looked at it about two or three years ago. I wasn't aware the car had been sold either. It was sort of on the market for a year or two but I don't think they actually advertised it for sale. Its much closer to red than bronze in the flesh. If Steve and Ursula aren't the current owners the new owner would have only had it a short time, probably less than a year and half.

David Hodgson 06-18-2014 04:32 PM

I could stand to be corrected, but I'm 99% sure it was Steve's.

Too many co-incidences: RMC, Bronze + stripes, 351 on gas, auto, white halibrands, central coast area.

Steve ran URS-351 number plate but could have kept them when sold.

Last entry at the nats looks like 2009.

I'll through some old photo's at home, the escutcheon around the side pipe penetration should give it away.

The new NSW web site has omitted the old "owners" gallery. There would have been a shot of it in there.

Edit: Found the old Members gallery - not in there.