Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree15Likes
  • 2 Post By David Hodgson
  • 2 Post By dhs.buckley
  • 1 Post By dave295
  • 2 Post By DaveW
  • 2 Post By stiffy
  • 1 Post By shelley
  • 1 Post By Donunder
  • 4 Post By shelley

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 12:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Replica Motor Company - Windsor 302
Not Ranked     
Question RMC Kit - Gearbox Dilemma!

First, I need to disclose I am not the most experienced mechanically... what I know I have picked up after owning a RMC for the last 8 years. I bought a pre-built car in 2006.

Over the years, I have occasionally tracked the car at Eastern Creek but never at the Nationals!

After my last trip to the Easter Creek I have lost 3rd gear as my second gearbox has given up the ghost. I am starting to think that I have a fundamental design flaw with the car.

A few details:

1) Windsor 302
2) Celica 5 Speed Aluminium gearbox connected to
3) Jag transmission

A couple of people have said that the gearbox is not able to cope with the power from the Windsor.

So I have a few questions...

1) Anyone out there with a RMC kit which gearboxes are you using? What do you recommend?
2) I believe if I change gearbox I need to change the configuration i.e. the gearstick position and the way it is mounted?

Any recommendations or experienced would be invaluable...
Old 09-06-2014, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I had a toploader in my 351 r.mc no problems,I replaced it for a t5 which was ok.I still have my toploader $1200 if anyone is interested
Old 09-06-2014, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Hi Shelley, welcome aboard. You will find endless info here.
There were some celica/supra boxes that would handle a low horse 302 if treated right, but IMHO you are best to take this opportunity to upgrade.
Just about any box will fit in an RMC. If you have a stock 302 and don't punish it a T5 would work but they are getting a bit long in the tooth second hand.

Tremec do 5 or 6 speed box's with variable shifter mounting positions. You can pick the 6 speeds up second hand out of production cars or any of these from Mal Wood Automotive in QLD. Jump on their web site and have a look.

Most guys are building with the T56 6 speed. I'm not sure why, 5 gears is enough for me.
boxhead and shelley like this.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

The aluminium box wont even put up with a 253 holden, you need to change to a toyota supra steel case box, which will fit in the celica place, but i would swap to a 4 speed toploader if you are going to take it to tracks, or somthing better than the old T5s
Old 09-06-2014, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans chassis, jag fr. & rear.
Not Ranked     

A Ford Toploader is a great gearbox, being a bit stronger than a single rail.
A Single rail was used in the XC Falcon Cobra. That's a big heavy car with a 351C.
A single rail was also used in the Ford Cortina with a 250ci engine. This gearbox has a shorter extension housing on it as the car is smaller than a Falcon.
The gear shifter is screwed into the top of the rear of the ext. housing. This may give you a better stick position in your car in relation to your seat.
Plus you can always bend the gearstick with an oxy to suit you and your car.
The Toploader has external linkages which may cause clearance issues with your transmission tunnel during usage and servicing.
A single rail could be sourced from an old XD 250ci etc. fairly cheaply (you'll need another bellhousing to suit the V8).
As a side point I picked up a single rail (sans bellhousing) a week or so ago from the Darwin dump shop for $10.00 a week ago.

A lot of the Cobra's built in the sixties had a V8, a four speed and a Jag rear end.
shelley likes this.

Last edited by dave295; 09-06-2014 at 04:40 PM..
Old 09-06-2014, 04:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

HI Shelley,
I have a lot of experience with Toyota 5 speeds.
As dhs.buckley has said, the alloy case Celica box (T50) will not last long with any abuse, very small lay shaft and gears.
With the Steel cases, there are 2, W50 and P50, of these the P50 can handle mammoth torque, it has huge shafts, Gearset and syncros, but the bearings are fairly low rated, fortunately, they are all standard spec bearing sizes and can easily be swapped for much higher rated options in the same size, I regularly swapped out for TSK, SKF products then fitted to modified 302's 308's 351's etc with reasonable HP.
The P50 box was also used in the Dyna trucks, hence the upgraded load ratings.
It is also the exact same box as the Dyna P40, but with 5th gear.

However, if you are going to swap boxes to get to this reliability, you might as well swap to a box designed from the outset for motor power you have.
Although along with this you will also have to consider clutch slave cylinder or cable pull brackets etc as these will probably have come from Hadfields, Dellow or some other to suit your current mix and match.

cheers
Dave

Last edited by DaveW; 09-08-2014 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: ammendment
Old 09-06-2014, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     

Shelley,

As mentioned you need the steel Supra box or visit Mal Wood

For a Tremec.

I have a T3350 in my Cobra and I love it, I also had the Supra 5

Speed in a V8 MGB which was the Tremec equivalent in its day, I suggest

Speaking to Mal so you won't have any gearbox issues in the future.

Stiffy
Gav and shelley like this.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Welcome to the forum! If you're used to having an overdriven 5th gear, it might be a step backwards to choose a single rail or toploader 4 speed. On the other hand, I f you're happy with how the car feels on the highway in 4th gear, a toploader might be an option.

Your budget might determine your choice. A steel case Toyota box will be a less expensive 5 speed option than a new TKO 500 or TKO 600, but won't be as strong.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

I'd second the suggestion to talk and deal with Mal wood for a complete change over to say a TKO 500 or 600 with an appropriate bellhousing and clutch set up.

Keep it all in one shop and you'll have less hassles when it comes to any issues such as clutch pedal pressure and hydraulic ratios and so forth.

Slo
Old 09-06-2014, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Replica Motor Company - Windsor 302
Not Ranked     

Just wanted to say a BIG thank you to everyone, fantastic response. I am already talking to Mal and have asked him for his recommendation.

I am keen to keep the gearstick position and minimise the changes required..

Will let you know where I land..

Thanks again.
mate likes this.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

I agree with the Supra option, they are a stronger box that will handle a 302 no worries.