Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree386Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2014, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

I know that I have said it before, but this never gets old.

Mike, you have got to be a very happy camper as this is looking fantastic.

I have restored things in the past (never a car....yet) and the re-build after all the machining work, repair, re-paint etc is the really fun part.

That rear shot with that much rubber........yep... that's what a cobra is about.
Aussie Mike, Rog246 and mando s like this.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Didn't get as much done as I hoped on the weekend. Lots of fiddly jobs and other jobs in the back yard used up all my time. It didn't help that Bathurst was on TV either.

Got the sway bar links sorted. They are made from a male and female rod end screwed together. I had to keep shortening and shortening them to get adequate clearance to the drive shaft through the full suspension travel. I machined a collet so I could grip the female rod end in the lathe and face the end off square for the jam nut. In the end there wasn't even space for the jam nut. I had to grind the end of the male thread so it bottomed out with the ends in the right orientation. It'll do the job.

Trial fitted the fuel tank to see what it looked like with the supension in place and the wheels on the ground. Also wanted to reassure myself that the mounts were OK. I can stand on the tank and bounce the rear suspension up and down and the mounts feel strong. Very scientific testing.

Got a lot of the front suspension components blasted, painted and re installed. The uprights are stripped apart blasted and waiting for paint.

One of the time wasting exercises was searching up all the bolts and spacers. I've put them away somewhere safe but couldn't find them. In the end I just machined up all new spacers for the shock mounts.

Hope you all had productive weekends

Cheers
Gav, DaveW, mando s and 2 others like this.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
Hope you all had productive weekends
Not nearly as productive as yours! :-)
Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike, have you set your accusump on any angle?

Taken from "Accusump™" The sump will work with the tube in any position or orientation; however, if possible, mount the tube with the oil end (the end with the oil valve) slightly higher than the air end. This will prevent accumulation of air bubbles
(coming from foam in the oil) by purging any minor air pocket during pre-oiling, when it will not cause any harm."

Might be of value +/- ?

Spookypt
boxhead and Rog246 like this.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for that Spooky, I didn't get any documentation with the Accucump. I'll have to go online and do some reading.

It'd be easy enough to put a spacer under one end of the cylinder mounts to raise it up slightly.

Cheers
boxhead likes this.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's rolling!!!!

Another milestone tonight. It's finally back on 4 wheels. Hooray!

I blasted and painted the uprights through the week and finished bolting everything up tonight.

It was good fun putting it back together but I spent too much time hunting for nuts and bolts. I thought I'd sorted them into the right boxes when I pulled the thing apart.

Here's the front brakes back together. 343mm x32mm DBA5000 2 piece rotors that I got from Phil M after he upgraded to 360mm rotors. Like the rear I re-drilled them and machined the center bore to suit the ford pattern hubs.

Here's the front hats chucked up in my old lathe to machine them to fit.

I'm not sure if you had seen the front hubs when I made them originally. The uprights are Jag XJ6 and they originally have a rotor that bolts to the back of the hub. I machined new hubs from aluminum to run on the Jag bearings but a Ford stud pattern and offset to suit a hat style rotor.

I like the hat style rotor as I reckon they have better airflow through them and don't require removing the front hub to replace.

Here's the wheel bolted on. The brakes sure do fill up the wheel rim. There's hardly clearance for wheel weights and I reckon a 330mm rotor would be a more comfortable fit.

The paint on the upright and steering arms turned out fine but it didn't like the aluminium of the caliper brackets and there are a few fish eyes. It's a hammered metal finish but it reacted a bit too much on the alloy. Not a problem as It blasts off easy enough. However the plan is to make some new caliper brackets next winter so I'll leave them for now. The new brackets will combine the steering knuckle. That way I can remove the heavy steel steering arm but more importantly the new brackets will allow adjustment of the front bump steer.

That 17" wheel is chock a block full of brake. An 18" rim or 330mm rotor would be a better combination.

Sitting on the ground again. It's good to see it like this.

Got to get the steering rack sorted now and then look at putting the motor and box back in.

Cheers
guye, boxhead, Tenrocca and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 10-17-2014 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 10-18-2014, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The more I look at the black painted wheel centers the more I'm not liking them. You just lose the distinctive shape of the spokes unless you are up close.

I've got to pull the rims apart to properly polish the outer rim (it's looking a bit dull) so I'm thinking I'll blast the centers and clear coat them. Here's what the center looked like when I'd blasted them before paint. What do you reckon?

Cheers
Gav and mando s like this.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

I agree Mike, the black spokes do get a bit lost. What colour will your body be?
Old 10-18-2014, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Mike,
As always, looks awesome. Aside from praise, I have nothing to add on your topics. However I found that when I had wheels like you got, I did two things which improved the look (in my opinion anyway).
Got rid of the gloss and have a Matt or a satin finish (satin clear over the raw would look good).
Replaced the bolts with low head bolts. These then nearly sit flush with the wheel. I had these hot black oxide coated, so there was no rusting and they stayed black. This was done by a guy in vic (can find details if you want).
This is a pic as a reference, I had a grey colour mixed by a mate who does powdercoat and this was covered with a satin clear.

Aussie Mike, guye and 1 TUF AC like this.

Last edited by leroy17; 10-18-2014 at 06:04 AM..
Old 10-18-2014, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oops, double post. Here is another pic.

Aussie Mike, Gav and 1 TUF AC like this.

Last edited by leroy17; 10-18-2014 at 06:02 AM..
Old 10-18-2014, 08:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

I reckon wheels depend on the colour of the body.

Blqck would look great if you chose a similar colour scheme to your Yamaha for instance.
But if your thinking of going a different colour, like say blue or red then my personal preference would be the natural sandblasted colour or a lighter shade as Leroy has done.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Been working on the Motor and box. Getting them ready to bolt back in.

Did a couple of mods the the C6 Corvette sump and bolted it back on. One catch I found is that the C6 Corvette sump has a bolt hole that isn't drilled on the LS1 block.

I carefully drilled and tapped the block to suit.

I also added an oil return fitting for the catch can but I didn't take a pic. I'll snap a pic when the whole system is in place.

One thing to remember when refitting the sump is that it's a stressed member. It provides some extra stability to the bottom end. For this reason it needs to be fitted properly. You need to bolt it up with the bell housing in place since the bell housing also bolts into the back of the sump. Get the bell housing bolts in and snugged up but not tight before torquing up the sump bolts down. This will keep the back of the sump and the back of the block in alignment. Bolting the sump without the bell housing could cause the bell housing to distort when tightened into place. The sump gasket is an O-ring bonded to an aluminum plate so you can't crush the gasket. It also pays to put a blob of silicon sealer on the corners where the front and rear covers attach to the block. These are spots where the surface isn't smooth and there is potential for a leak.

The gearbox is stripped for a freshen up. I've got a few new goodies to go into it plus some refinements from the other gear boxes I've done.

A job I did while the box is apart is to modify the bell housing for clearance. The C6 Corvette sump has the best ground clearance of all the wet sumps. This leaves the lower edge of the bell housing as the lowest point. The lip on the sump hangs about 8-10mm lower than the sump.

The Mill makes short work of the lip. I only skimmed it down till it got to the outer shell of the bell housing. I didn't want to remove too much material and impact the strength. It's still about 6mm at the thinnest point.

It was quite hard to take a pic of but the sump to bell housing is now a nice smooth transition.

Hopefully I'll get the box back together this week and have the engine and box in the chassis on the weekend.

Cheers
guye, Gav and Modena like this.

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 10-26-2014 at 05:42 AM..
Old 10-26-2014, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

That's a good idea getting rid of any protrusions under your car Mike, you don't want anything extra down there for the fluff bunnies to catch on...