Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2014, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

From the road test the turbo 4 ecotec makes about 300HP which is better than the V6 mustang used to produce. That's where the car is aimed at as a replacement for the basic V6 version. On the dyno it was making 270 at the rear wheels.

It was a similar case here with the Falcon. The performance of the turbo 4 was as good as the naturally aspirated 4.0 inline 6. People just have trouble getting their head around the idea of a 4 cylinder falcon.

Cheers

Old 10-15-2014, 10:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Drb, 302 Comp cam, Cobra Nationals 2001 and 2002
Not Ranked     

Hey Mike
You make some good points. Will be interesting on release to see what the publics perception of the models will be. There seems to be alot of interest for the Mustangs release to our shores.
By the way....how is Sunbury these days? Lived there in the 80's on Reservoir Rd which was on the outskirts with paddocks opposite. Must be bigger now!
Old 10-15-2014, 11:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's grown heaps and still growing. New suburbs going in along vineyard road and a big industrial estate. They have also electrified the train line. We have a Bunnings and a Masters hardware stores too.

I still like it as it's retained a lot of it's country town feel.

Cheers

Old 10-15-2014, 11:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm looking forward to seeing what hits our shores too. I'm sure the performance models will be there given the Aussie love for muscle cars.

Cheers

Old 10-16-2014, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

hope gmh bring the Camaro
Gav likes this.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Mike,

I have liked the Mustang since it first came out when I was a kid, and I suspect many of my fellow Australian Cobra enthusiasts have as well. Ford has certainly made quite an effort with this new generation of Mustang to reach a world wide audience, what with RHD and the choice of 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines. The 84 to 86 SVO Mustang had essentially a warmed over Pinto motor (plus a Turbo) and a more sophisticated suspension than the GT, but the V8 GT was hands down a better car and seller in the US market. Looks like this time however, the 4 cylinder is a much better setup than in the past and will likely sell a lot more on a percentage basis relative to the V8 model, than the SVO of years ago did relative to the V8 model. In terms of overall numbers, I would say for the enthusiast portion of the Mustang market, the V8 will still be the preferred motor.

There seems to be in the US at least more acceptance by younger enthusiasts especially, that the notion of a 4 cylinder Mustang is OK or even the V6, and it does not necessarily need to have the V8 to be fun to drive. I still prefer the V8, but that’s just me. I glad that they are offering a stick shift option, for those that want it.

I posed this question earlier in the thread … I wonder if you or any of the others would know … aside from RHD are there special requirements in terms of heavy duty suspensions for the Australian market? It’s my understanding that some of the 1960’s Fords (and others) had to be strengthened over the American version of the cars sold in the US, in order to stand up to the rigors of the Australian roads. Is this still the case, or would the 2015 Mustang or other modern American car be up to the task without any modifications? Same for emissions … are the Australian and US emissions basically the same?

- Tim
Aussie Mike and itempany like this.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Replica, 5.0 Supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Camaro v Mustang

2015 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS - Head 2 Head Ep. 58 - YouTube
itempany likes this.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by d488y2 View Post
i think I would be happy with either one both look like nice cars
d488y2 likes this.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Mike,

I have liked the Mustang since it first came out when I was a kid, and I suspect many of my fellow Australian Cobra enthusiasts have as well. Ford has certainly made quite an effort with this new generation of Mustang to reach a world wide audience, what with RHD and the choice of 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines. The 84 to 86 SVO Mustang had essentially a warmed over Pinto motor (plus a Turbo) and a more sophisticated suspension than the GT, but the V8 GT was hands down a better car and seller in the US market. Looks like this time however, the 4 cylinder is a much better setup than in the past and will likely sell a lot more on a percentage basis relative to the V8 model, than the SVO of years ago did relative to the V8 model. In terms of overall numbers, I would say for the enthusiast portion of the Mustang market, the V8 will still be the preferred motor.

There seems to be in the US at least more acceptance by younger enthusiasts especially, that the notion of a 4 cylinder Mustang is OK or even the V6, and it does not necessarily need to have the V8 to be fun to drive. I still prefer the V8, but that’s just me. I glad that they are offering a stick shift option, for those that want it.

I posed this question earlier in the thread … I wonder if you or any of the others would know … aside from RHD are there special requirements in terms of heavy duty suspensions for the Australian market? It’s my understanding that some of the 1960’s Fords (and others) had to be strengthened over the American version of the cars sold in the US, in order to stand up to the rigors of the Australian roads. Is this still the case, or would the 2015 Mustang or other modern American car be up to the task without any modifications? Same for emissions … are the Australian and US emissions basically the same?

- Tim
I can see this car appealing to the tuner market and the younger generation. Most of us are 40+ and grew up with the V8 being the benchmark for performance. we love our V8 Falcon and Holden Monaro, Torana etc. The younger generation now have the Subaru WRX and Nissan GTR as their hero cars. A turbo 4 Mustang might be right up their alley.

I love my V8's (currently 4 in our household) and the turbo 4 sound doesn't do much for me but I'll be watching with interest to see what the tuners do with them. They are getting silly HP out of the Japanese turbo 4s. I can see the enthusiasts going to work on this one too.

As for suspension... I think the old falcon had to be modified to cope with our rough 1960's country roads/goat tracks. Last time I was in the US our roads were 10 times better than theirs. Especially LA which just seemed to be one big interconnected pot hole.

Cheers

Old 10-16-2014, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk1, LS1, T56, Jag S3 suspension
Not Ranked     

Which ever appears first - LS3 Redline vs Mustang GT - is the one I'll putting a deposit on.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

I like the styling, but I don't think I could bring myself to buy a car of that nature, unless it was a manual v8 version.

I'd be more inclined to spend a tad/wad more and get the Nissan GTR if I wanted a turbo in an oversized coupe hero car of that nature.

A 4cyl turbo would have me looking at hot hatches.
But that's just me.
I'm thinking that engine would be killer in the lighter focus.
deano59 likes this.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

I will vomit if only a 4 is available........I couldn't do it.....I hope the 5.0ltr coyote is an option.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427
Not Ranked     
Default I want one!

As soon as the AP427 is finished, I'll be looking at getting the Stang!!! Black GT for me please!
Old 10-16-2014, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

2015 Ford Mustang V8 GT review | first drive: Car Reviews- CarsGuide
d488y2 likes this.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacson View Post
As soon as the AP427 is finished, I'll be looking at getting the Stang!!! Black GT for me please!
Woah! Sneak! Welcome to the forum Zacson. Another Pace tragic I see! I don't want to hijack this thread, but how about you start a thread and intro yourself and plans?

Back to Mustangs...

I was following a wrx home last night, with all the mandatory trick stuff attached, and was actually quite impressed with the engine note. Not a V8, no, but nice none-the-less.

So I am sure you could get the 4-cyl 'Stang to sound half decent still.
Zacson likes this.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
I can see this car appealing to the tuner market and the younger generation. Most of us are 40+ and grew up with the V8 being the benchmark for performance. we love our V8 Falcon and Holden Monaro, Torana etc. The younger generation now have the Subaru WRX and Nissan GTR as their hero cars. A turbo 4 Mustang might be right up their alley.

I love my V8's (currently 4 in our household) and the turbo 4 sound doesn't do much for me but I'll be watching with interest to see what the tuners do with them. They are getting silly HP out of the Japanese turbo 4s. I can see the enthusiasts going to work on this one too.

As for suspension... I think the old falcon had to be modified to cope with our rough 1960's country roads/goat tracks. Last time I was in the US our roads were 10 times better than theirs. Especially LA which just seemed to be one big interconnected pot hole.

Cheers

I would say you summed it up pretty well. I too prefer 8 cylinders under the hood and three pedals on the floor.

Sounds like there is no substantial difference between the Australian offering and the US model, save RHD. I agree, the roads in Los Angeles are in pretty bad shape, same goes for the roads here in the San Francisco bay area.

In the promotion of the Mustang and highlighted in the reviews, is the change to IRS, and the handling improvements over the live rear axle. Interestingly, in most of the reviews, there is little or no mention of ’99/01 - ’03/’04 SVT Cobra Mustangs, which did have IRS. I for one will be interested to see how the two compare. With over (10) years between the two setups, I would suspect the differences would be substantial.

Regardless of that, looks like Ford has a winner, and Chevrolet with the Camero & Dodge with the Challenger for that matter too. Feels like the mid to late 60’s all over again … which is a good thing!
Old 10-16-2014, 10:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I love the fact that many of the manufacturers are producing models that give a styling nod to the models origins. I've been sick of the generic streamlined blobs that car producers have been making for years now. Nice to see some cars coming back that value style a little more than function.

It'd be cool to see some of the other manufacturers follow suit. As an example I'd love to see Nissan produce an modern day version of the 240Z rather than the blob that we got for the 350z and 370z. The new Z is not a bad looking blob but the original 240Z looked fast standing still.

Cheers

Old 10-16-2014, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1038--sold
Not Ranked     

A good friend on the east coast has 2 of the 2015 Mustangs at his disposal--they went to the track wed night. The GT turned a 13.0 in the 1/4, the ecoboost 4 cylinder ran a 13.8. Pretty good numbers.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1038--sold
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
In the promotion of the Mustang and highlighted in the reviews, is the change to IRS, and the handling improvements over the live rear axle. Interestingly, in most of the reviews, there is little or no mention of ’99/01 - ’03/’04 SVT Cobra Mustangs, which did have IRS. I for one will be interested to see how the two compare. With over (10) years between the two setups, I would suspect the differences would be substantial!
I recently sold my 2000 Cobra R and 2003 SVT Cobra, both with the IRS. I now have a 2013 Boss 302 and the new car out handles the older ones by a long shot. I can only imagine the new IRS platform will be even better.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

No more 4 cylinder talk...milk comes in 2ltrs not motors.....Soon you guys will be eco boosting your Cobras.....

Will be a struggle to either keep it completely standard or modify away.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: