Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2014, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     
Default wiring looms

has any body bought a stand alone loom for there 6.0 lt L98 engines ect from this lot in the states . ive talked to a few here who modify looms but as the ve loom is mounted in the engine bay there not interested in modifying them so the ecu can be mounted behind the dash.
I come across this bloke who seems to make the looms from scratch and this loom also fits my 6 speed auto as well only downside they only come wired for 2 oxygen sensors where the ve loom has 4 is this going to be a problem you think .
here is a link to his looms it may be the easiest way for me to go I think .

'09 '11 LY6 6 0L L92 6 2L Standalone Wiring Harness W 6L80E | eBay
Old 11-30-2014, 03:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

The second 2 O2 sensors are only there to monitor when the cats have gone bad. Not required to pass the emissions test. My ECU is in the cockpit - you just need a big grommet to pass the connectors through. I wired up the connectors with the grommet in place on the cable. I reckon the hole is at least 50mm across.

Cheers
Old 11-30-2014, 04:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Here you go:
http://stores.ebay.com.au/killakusto...p2047675.l2563
Old 11-30-2014, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sorry for spellingThe trouble is the ve ecu is mounted in the engine bay andthereis not enough loom tomake it fit into cabin all the mobs want your own loom to rework but cantor wont extent the ecu tail that ebay site one doesnt have one to suit l98 with 6 speed auto . Ive been looking and talking with most aussie supplies for weeks,

The one in the states is a whole new loom not a reworked donor one and hence the ecu and bcm can be mounted in the cab thats good news with the oxgeon sensers thanks for that

All that iside ive just been offered a crashed supercharged vf commy so if 1that comes thru i may have my l98 up for sale i have my fingers crossed atm.

Cheers dean

Last edited by deano59; 11-30-2014 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: fat fingers on tablet keyboard=spelling errors lol
Old 11-30-2014, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

deano, I'm led to believe that link I posted will make whatever mods you require to the harness.

He manufactures them just north of Brisbane ... bit inland from the Sunshine Coast.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They cant modify the ve loom to put1 1he ecube1hind 1the fir1ewall theywant me tobuy a vz 6.0 lt loom so to buy that and get that modified i may aswell justbuy one from t1he states
Old 11-30-2014, 05:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What a bugga!!
Old 11-30-2014, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There was a fella called sideshow who used to convert harnesses. Moved from Sydney to Queensland (smart fella).

Although he was expensive if I recall.

May be able to help: Sideshows Performance Wiring - Mobile Auto Electrician & Custom Engine Wiring Looms
Old 11-30-2014, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

They cant modify the ve loom to put1 1he ecube1hind 1the fir1ewall theywant me tobuy a vz 6.0 lt loom so to buy that and get that modified i may aswell justbuy one from t1he states
Old 11-30-2014, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival Kobra,LS7 427
Not Ranked     

Have you looked at the GM install harness? They come with programed ECU,O2 sensers and even a pedal.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Robnell Blown LS1
Not Ranked     

I purchased a Painless loom from the states for my LS1 with DBW option.
Was very easy to put in and marry to the body loom.
Mounted the computer behind the dash. Plenty of length in the wiring.
Too easy !!
Just make sure if you go this way that you use the component parts they specify in the manual..
You will need to have the computer sorted to get rid of all the lockouts etc
Cheers
Old 11-30-2014, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb View Post
I purchased a Painless loom from the states for my LS1 with DBW option.
Was very easy to put in and marry to the body loom.
Mounted the computer behind the dash. Plenty of length in the wiring.
Too easy !!
Just make sure if you go this way that you use the component parts they specify in the manual..
You will need to have the computer sorted to get rid of all the lockouts etc
Cheers
cheers for that so far im thinking this is the best way to go after emailing the guy who does them he said they sell heaps of this loom too cobra and hot rod guys using my engine and auto combination comes in just around a grand landed on the door that's better than some local guys that wanted me to give them the ve loom plus buy a vz loom so they could make one out of the two. this one retains the traction control switches as well as the tap up and down on the sports shifter .
just need to find a local guy here in Adelaide to remove the security out of my ecu .im just collecting more bits and pieces to be more prepared for when the car arrives .
cheers dean
Old 11-30-2014, 11:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Newbie question: what is wrong with running the stock VE loom and leaving the ECU somewhere nice in the front of the engine bay? I presume GM did that for a reason.

Space? Convenience? Protection from the elements? Heat?

Otherwise, I struggle to see why the standard loom couldn't be used, and a 'simple' extension made from where the VE loom would normally terminate to an alternate location for the ECU. Is the extra length going to affect the ecu operation perhaps? Or is it just 'untidy'? And/or is my assumption that this is simple wrong? Male 'lots-of-pins-squarish' connector to female 'lots-of-pins-squarish' connector with 20-odd wires in between. Solder that up while watching a top-gear episode. (Standing by for auto-elec flamin') ....
messy likes this.

Last edited by guye; 11-30-2014 at 11:43 PM..
Old 11-30-2014, 11:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by guye View Post
Newbie question: what is wrong with running the stock VE loom and leaving the ECU somewhere nice in the front of the engine bay? I presume GM did that for a reason.

Otherwise, I struggle to see why the standard loom couldn't be used, and a 'simple' extension made from where the VE loom would normally terminate to an alternate location for the ECU. Is the extra length going to affect the ecu operation perhaps? Or is it just 'untidy'? And/or is my assumption that this is simple wrong? Male 'lots-of-pins-squarish' connector to female 'lots-of-pins-squarish' connector with 20-odd wires in between. Solder that up while watching a top-gear episode. (Standing by for auto-elec flamin') ....
Fair question Guy. Why can't you just make a patch/extension cable and use that?

Dean, I'm using the GM Engine Controller package, which, as has been mentioned earlier includes the programmed ECU, loom, 02 sensors, MAF sensor and DBW accelerator pedal. It's all plug and play and it has extra 'slack' in the wiring length to fit multiple applications. I believe this is what Craig had used to run the LSA Pace they have up there.

Of course, I am running a manual (not a slushbox) and the loom is stripped of all the 'assists' which I don't want anyways.
Old 11-30-2014, 11:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427 SSL
Not Ranked     

Guye, you beat me to it.

I can't see any reason why the ECU can't remain in the engine bay. If you have a factory setup which works in its current location, why mess with it and pay the extra $$$$?

Maybe I'm missing something.....as they say....please explain.

Cheers

Sam
Old 12-01-2014, 12:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by guye View Post

There's a few reasons.

Less wiring, more accurate injector control.

These days, control modules are placed where they NEED to be.

Some autos have the TCM in the transmission, think about how much wire and weight that saves.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 12-01-2014, 12:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

I have the psi loom in my car.

It took ages to come around 4-5weeks from memory. I didn't care as I wasn't up to needing it.

The loom looks to be well made.

As its universal, the lengths of each section were very long. Also the conduit used was quite large. I unwrapped the whole loom, shortened the wires and re wrapped in smaller sizes of conduit.

The connector or accelerator is US and will not fit Australian accelerator pedals. Trying to find a replacement connector proved impossible so I made my own.

I found there was no vehicle speed sensor connector included even though it was shown in the instructions and marketing material. When I contacted them was told I had to pay for one if I wanted it and it would be grossly over priced. I needed it cause my guages use the signal. Bought one of eBay for half what he wanted to charge.

Car fired up first go.
Old 12-01-2014, 02:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

also if its in the engine bay you're going to have more wiring clutter to look at
Old 12-01-2014, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the reason I don't want to use the ve loom is with the pace and all the polished sheetmetal work I don't want a messy wiring loom and ecu and body control module to be seen I don't think you could not hide it anywhere in the engine bay were the reflections would not pick it up . the less in the engine bay the less cluttered I like it .
cheers dean
guye and Tonus72 like this.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
I have the psi loom in my car.

It took ages to come around 4-5weeks from memory. I didn't care as I wasn't up to needing it.

The loom looks to be well made.

As its universal, the lengths of each section were very long. Also the conduit used was quite large. I unwrapped the whole loom, shortened the wires and re wrapped in smaller sizes of conduit.

The connector or accelerator is US and will not fit Australian accelerator pedals. Trying to find a replacement connector proved impossible so I made my own.

I found there was no vehicle speed sensor connector included even though it was shown in the instructions and marketing material. When I contacted them was told I had to pay for one if I wanted it and it would be grossly over priced. I needed it cause my guages use the signal. Bought one of eBay for half what he wanted to charge.

Car fired up first go.
cheers for that im not in a hurry heck I don't even have the car yet :-) I still have the pedal loom and plug from the ve could I splice that into the psi loom you think ?

cheers dean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: