Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Spookypt's Shed Build

Hi everyone, as some of you know I recently moved. It took me 5 years to sell my house near the beach and over that time I watched many build their sheds with envy.

So, when I finally purchased my new house I was quite eager to get my shed started. As it turned out I actually designed it "too big" and had to reduce it by 22sqm (1.5m of width) as otherwise that extra 22sqm was going to cost me in other areas. It ended up as you see it 15m deep x 10.5m wide x 4.5m high.

So although my house didn't settle till late October, I actually put plans into council for approval of the build early September so as once I moved in I could get started asap.

So here's progress so far.

Move in Day. Day 1. Pic of the area sheds to go.

Day 2. My mate and his Drott arrive.

Day 3. Pads levelled.

1 week later: Large Blue Gum too close to pad cut down. (12 cubes of Mulch!)

2 weeks later: Concreters arrive.

Concrete Pad Finished with extra reo for hoist.

New berm with top soil and grass seed.

And as of yesterday. Frame assembly. (Not bad for only having been living there for 7 weeks!)

I only discovered yesterday that all the wall cladding and guttering is incorrect and not what I'd requested so that now has to be changed. (expensive mistake for someone) but the replacements will arrive Friday and with the concrete driveways starting Monday there's no time to waste. The driveway (as per my earlier thread) will be 430sqm and run the full length to shed.)

My sparky came yesterday to work out electrics and my hoist gets relocated and refitted on the 29th December so all is on track for a move in and lock up by years end.

Sparky will fit off permanent power late January. And yes with all my stuff I have no room left and will be adding in a mezzanine before too long.

Spookypt
Aussie Mike, guye, boxhead and 9 others like this.

Last edited by spookypt; 12-09-2014 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-09-2014, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Wow Spooky, this is going to be the shortest shed build thread of all time!

Looking great!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Wow!
Well done.

When you look at the 1st pic you can't help but think, meh it couldnt possibly be that big.
There's not that much space. Then you see pics 2 with the digger and 5 with the house in the background, and think - YIKES! That thing is massive and could accommodate aircraft.
Awesome!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Awesome shed Spooky and in a really nice looking spot too. I'm a big fan of the american barn style. You are going to love having all that space.

Were the tanks already there or did you add them for the shed? You will be amazed at how much water you will collect off that roof.

Cheers

Old 12-09-2014, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Python ford 302 ho, 4 speed toploader, jag irs 3.54
Not Ranked     

Jealous! Just bought my new house, triple car garage and the Cobra has its own Garage now, but still looking for more shed space.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Also if you are thinking of lining it in the future get them to put an extra row of battens on the walls. Gives more points to fix the inside walls too. My side walls are 2.7m and there are 4 rows of battens and a purlin at the top. Original design only had 3 rows of battens.

Cheers

Old 12-09-2014, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Shed

Thanks fellas. Yeah Mike I did consider the lining option but my mates would give me heaps if I did that. They think I'm anal as it is.

I made the bays essentially 12 X 3.5m x 3.75m which meant I only have 6 internal columns. 2 of which will be where the hoist goes in the centre rear. Then above that again I'll put in a small mezzanine. I've lined the entire roof with thermal bubble and have got some acrylic skylights in the centre side walls to help let in some more natural light as well.

It'll have 2 electronic 3m x 3m roller doors at front with a central 3.6m x 3m commercial door in the middle. The one side closest to the house will have an access door and another manual roller door to open up and let the prevailing SE/NE winds blow through. No other windows or doors. Very neat and simple.

I made it 15m so as I could drive my truck and trailer straight in after a day or weekend away at the track and not have to go about unloading all my crap before I can lock up. The centre run will house my cobras and hoist as well as a larger gooseneck horse/car trailer once I get that all organised.

The tanks are gravity fed from my house. They're 22500 litres each and I have another 3000l for my outdoor shower after I come back from the beach. The shed will be plumbed to the larger tanks but I'll also put in a 3rd one as well in the future as we don't have town water.

Once the shed is built, electrified and driveways done I've promised Chris its onto doing up her bathroom/laundry etc. Happy wife = happy life!.

I do enjoy so much where I live now. I don't miss one thing about from where I came.

Spookypt
Aussie Mike, boxhead, mate and 2 others like this.

Last edited by spookypt; 12-09-2014 at 07:40 PM..
Old 12-09-2014, 08:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Drb, 302 Comp cam, Cobra Nationals 2001 and 2002
Not Ranked     

GREAT! Now the rest of us are envious of your SHED.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Re parking tuck and trailer in there. Had you thought of making it drive through? My neighbor across the road had a tipper truck and dog trailer he drove for ready-mix and his shed was set up drive through. Dead easy for him to park the truck and drive straight out the next morning.

I'm running 2x 22,500L tanks on the shed and another 20,000L on the house. Got a similar gravity feed system on the house tank. All the down pipes have a head of water and we collect off the whole roof. The 20,000L house tank would supply us just fine for all water for a family of 3. We've switched back to town water and the tanks are just for irrigation now.

Cheers

Old 12-09-2014, 10:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Argh yes the great drive through conundrum. Yep considered that too. But I really didn't want to go and knock down all that lovely aussie bush to get access. I can, and if I was coming and going every day it'd be a no brainer. But the amount of time I'd be actually doing it I'd prefer to keep my nice trees in place and just reverse it in. I live off an easement that only services 4 houses so traffic isn't an issue at all.
boxhead likes this.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrisons # 62 302 T5
Not Ranked     
Default Looking good!

Spookypt

Great shed, looking forward to seeing it all done. Keep the photos coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
Yeah Mike I did consider the lining option but my mates would give me heaps if I did that.
I lined my 12x8x4 shed (walls and ceiling) and it has made a massive difference. The biggest advantage I have found is in hanging things from the walls. I have three windows and one personal door. Almost every other part of the wall has something hanging from it. Would be a bit more painful doing all that without the lining, although the lining was an effort as well!! And yes, it does look good and the acoustic insulation helps the neighbours as well, and the temps in the middle of summer.

Geof
Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I agree Geof. I reckon my shed is cooler and quieter. Even resonant noise inside when I'm running the grinder etc. Also feels warmer in winter but probably not an issue for you in QLD Spookty.

I'm in the process of lining the rest of the shed at the moment. 19mm Yellow tongue flooring is great for lining if a bit heavy to maneuver a sheet by yourself.

If I had all those great trees I'd be reluctant to cut any of them too. I just hope you are better at backing a trailer than me

Cheers

Old 12-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader
Not Ranked     

Wow! Very nice! I am actually about to do something similar. Here in the States they call that style a "Monitor Building". I will keep an eye on progress.
The one I am looking at looks something like this. It would be clear-span, so no columns inside. I was actually surprised at how cheap the building itself was quoted. But then of course you have to factor in the erection, sparky and plumber, doors etc so still weighing all against conventional construction.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Looks good Bernica - I presume the wagon wheel out front is standard issue in the States!?
Old 12-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

A yup! Need to add the steer horns over the center door along with a horseshoe turned tips up as well for good luck. And, who can live without a rooster weathervane?
guye, mate, Dimis and 1 others like this.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ooh ooh Oohh.. I wana' get me a wagon wheel for mine

Nice Barn Bernica. As you can probably tell I'm a fan of that style too.

What color scheme are you going for Spooky?

Cheers
Wazza likes this.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:16 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Ha! Aussie Mike, I actually downloaded a copy of that pic of your shed way back when to give me ideas!
This one is also quite nice..cool!! Pretty huge though. Not sure I could sneak this by the Wifey, but I am trying!

Aussie Mike likes this.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's cool. Love the stone work around the base.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Mike it'll pretty much tie in with the house.

Blue roof, gutters and roller doors with cream walls and down pipes. Simple but hopefully it'll all match up nicely.

Spook
Old 12-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

My Dad built one of these years ago and put windows in the clearstory sides, which helped bring in a lot of light. Another option I have learned is to put translucent roof panels in selected areas to bring in natural light as well.