Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2016, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not hopeful at this stage Spooky, unless there is a change in the available budget.. Took Denner to the Administrative Tribunal.. won the case on all points, although the payment was rather modest in comparison to the damage he caused. The court ordered amount was supposed to have been paid by the 12th.. as yet not sighted. I expect he will be getting a visit from the officers of the Local Court soon. As ever his actions speak loudest.

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade

Last edited by SydneyChris; 04-14-2016 at 04:16 PM..
Old 04-14-2016, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
Why aren't you using whatever Factory 5 supply? Just askin.....
The master cylinder apparently needed to comply with the ADR's, and then there was the issue with fitting the ABS and its compatibility ... was just another potential argument with the RTA I was seeking to avoid around a critical system.

FFR did supply a dual Willwood MC set up with a balancing bar.. nothing wrong with as far as I could see, and it apparently gives a decent pedal feel as well.

LS3 motor, TR6060 box with Falcon ABS, 17" Halibrand wheels, 3.55:1 Ford Racing IRS and Willwood brake upgrade

Last edited by SydneyChris; 04-14-2016 at 04:16 PM..
Old 04-14-2016, 04:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

How does a master cylinder comply with ADR's? What ADR? Is that something about dual-circuit? Understand the ABS compatibility issue.
ICCARS likes this.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans chassis, jag fr. & rear.
Not Ranked     

The AU/BA cab chassis braking system is not equipped with ABS. Would that M/C be useful to you.
A brake guru I spoke to about a BA booster said "don't use a BA booster, plastic crap, use a late E series".
That's what I'm planning to use with Jag brakes. (AU M/C that is)

Cheers
Dave
Old 04-14-2016, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Mine passed the engineering brake tests (as did every other CR ever tested in NSW as far as Im aware) no problem with the standard MC setup which is the same as originally supplied with your FF kit (dual wilwood MC and balance bar). Not sure what ADR your saying they dont comply with but my engineer didnt have any issues with them.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Only master cyl ADR I can think of is the fluid level.
I think most CR guys have used Hyundai cylinder caps to get the float and light.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A few points there.. as ever, no matter how much research you do the best answers come out when you are actually building.

I went on my understanding of the advice from my engineer.. I could have had it wrong... In principal I tried to keep the braking components matched to avoid any issues.. and ended up making several for myself..

Old 05-01-2016, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Back and forth on this build, dodging some items for a bit then diving in again.

Had fabbed up the the sheet metal for the sunken floor a few weeks back, finished the boot now with dynamat and 6mm accoustic liner.

"Moved' the holes in the rear for the tail lights after welding a plate onto the existing rectangular section for the OE option.

Also roughed up a drive shaft loop from some left over 1/8" plate. Paint in chassis black and install during next week.

Will take the body off again.. fit the insulation to the boot and roof areas then fix it on before testing the brakes and starting on the doors, which are no clearer to me than they were on day 1.
Attached Images

Aussie Mike and boxhead like this.

Last edited by SydneyChris; 05-01-2016 at 03:49 AM..
Old 05-03-2016, 03:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

drive shaft hoop installed.. has around 15mm clearance as a minimum.. Im assuming this would be sufficient with a solid mounted diff..??
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2016, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tail lights now fitted ready for the sparkie.. spoiler lowered 5mm and glassed in - 4 layers on each side, is probably the strongest part of the body now..

Appreciate any advice re the previous post and the clearance on the drive shaft loop.

Cheers

Chris
Attached Images

leroy17 likes this.

Old 06-14-2016, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

All depends on how much your engine moves, I would imagine it would be fine but you may have to wait and see.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Should be O.K. I think the ADR's state that you should have a minimum of 10mm clearance, including when the engine is rotating on the engine mounts due to engine torque.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks gents.. the engine struggles to twist on the mounts much at all, am using a low profile 60 series Landcruiser rubber mount which has very little lateral give.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Took the car out for its first serious gokart yesterday to bed / test the new brake set up.

After testing well on the blocks with no jammed pistons, a firm pedal and good retardation I sought out a quiet space and took it for a few 200 - 300 metre or so runs.

Brakes checked out fine, good balance, able to lock up the fronts with an intentionally heavy foot. It certainly drives like a light and very stiff car, was more nimble than expected.

My son was watching events from the sidelines... he asked me when he jumped back in the tow car why I kept leaving black marks on the road as it changed gears and swerving as I was taking off?

I told him I have no idea officer... it must have been somebody else..

Old 06-28-2016, 10:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Drb, 302 Comp cam, Cobra Nationals 2001 and 2002
Not Ranked     

Hey Chris
Got an interesting email back from Factory Five in regards to right hand conversion. They charge $2000us for the conversion. Do think that is reasonable?
Ian
Old 06-29-2016, 02:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Ian... If you are happy with the standard footwell size, pedals, brake mc's and steering column then yes.

You will need a steering column with a collapsible element for a road car. I also built cages around much longer and wider foot wells on both sides. You really need to make a call re the parts and set up you intend to go with.

Personally a bare chassis with the steering rack mounts and suspension pick up points only.. Then delete footwells, firewall m/cylinder mounts, engine mounts and the gearbox mount would be my preference although that may be a bit much for FFR to deal with as far as changes.

Last edited by SydneyChris; 06-29-2016 at 03:33 AM..
Old 06-29-2016, 04:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

The engine is offset to the passenger side on the RHD version too.
Im looking at one too
boxhead likes this.