Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree250Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-20-2015, 02:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, LS1 stack injection
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy17 View Post
So last year due to varied circumstances I sold my Harrison #40, which to be honest was a very very hard thing to do, and boy do I miss that car. The plan was to get a tri-five chevy, in particular a 55 Hardtop. Next to a Cobra, this has been my life long dream car, and this would then provide the extra seating so the family can come along with me for drives etc.

I had been searching for some time and a few examples came up but they just didn't stack up for whatever the reason.

During this time whilst searching ebay etc, I came across a gascap. I have always been a fan of the non roller gascap so I thought, why not get it to add to the garage for 'art'.

After months of realization, it came to me, the desire for a Cobra was just too strong. At this point I was enjoying the thought of a mild restoration on a 55 Hardtop, so why not the same with a Cobra.

A good mate and a QLD cobra club member has an old Arntz which he was using as his daily driver. Due to his knowledge on vehicle importing we discussed the options of purchasing and importing from the USA. Some options came up however for whatever the reason, they did not stack up. So this then led discussions about the Arntz.

Long story short, this now resides in my garage. The original plan was for a quick tidy up, tighten up the 30+ year old steering and enjoy. However, not always do things go to plan.

Anyway, I will use this thread do document my Project Arntz restoration, lets just see if I keep on track or get carried away.

It started with a gascap.

Arntz, before me getting to it.

Initial clean up and paint correction.

When I bought your old Harrison off you I told you would miss it. I am so glad you got a another cobra because I couldn't picture you in anything else. I am sure this cobra will probably come even better than your old one. but this time when you get it all perfect and running beautiful don't sell it lol. I hope you enjoyed the restoration.
leroy17 likes this.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

This car is nice and old school, it needs a side oiler in it. What are the options for changing engine?

Keep going.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey joyridin', If you are referring to the original Arntz sidepipes with the three bolt flange, unfortunately it appears they are long gone.

Here is a pic of it when it was in the USA before Craig imported it to AUS. As you can see the pipes are not the factory pipes, shame as those are cool aspect of the Arntz which would be good to still have.

Yes. Mine has the original sidepipes and they look similar to those. Unlike most of the newer versions, my pipes are a solid 4" diameter from front to back, which is what that picture kind of looks like. They also have augers instead of mufflers.

I need another set.

Good luck with your new car and the minor restoration!
Old 02-24-2015, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
This car is nice and old school, it needs a side oiler in it. What are the options for changing engine?

Keep going.
The options for changing engines are kind of limit less.

The restrictions however are only $$$.

Honestly, my preferance is big block and it would be a shame not to let such a robust chassis not experience this.

All suggestions welcome and if there is a lazy side oiler anywhere, I can give it a good home.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

A nice Big Block Chevy will fit right in there, you won't have to change a thing.
Donunder and muzzza like this.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Yep, all the mounts and bell housing are the same between SB and BB Chev. The BB hangs a bit further forward than the SB. Lots of parts are also interchangeable between the two: Water pump, distributor etc.

Cheers

Old 02-24-2015, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

The Arntz is running the smaller and lighter 153 tooth flywheel and bellhousing size. It's a billet alloy flywheel, which would be a laugh behind a tough big block, but the starter motor might be a bit unhappy if you tried to get the 153 tooth combo to spin a big cubes/big compression motor.
Of course, I only assume that any replacement engine will have big cubes and big compression. Oh, and about .770" lift on the camshaft should be just about right as well...
Old 02-24-2015, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Another thing to note is you can buy mount adapters to put the earlier chev mounts on a later LS motor. It would drop straight in. A few mods to the transmission cross memeber for a T56 wouldn't difficult either. Late model HP, drivability and reliability (we won't talk about the improved fuel economy as that shouldn't be a factor in a Cobra equation).
joyridin' likes this.

Old 02-26-2015, 12:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

Does anybody know what happened to the Arntz that was on the cover of the June 1980 cover of HotRod ? Is it still around? Still on the road? Anyone here on Club Cobra have it or know where it is?

Last edited by Thor maine; 02-26-2015 at 03:22 PM..
Old 02-26-2015, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The options for changing engines are kind of limit less.

The restrictions however are only $$$.

Honestly, my preferance is big block and it would be a shame not to let such a robust chassis not experience this.

All suggestions welcome and if there is a lazy side oiler anywhere, I can give it a good home.
If you are serious about this... Give me a buzz, I have a lead on a couple options that don't cost as much as you'd think.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

I agree with Mike. If you want to drive the car on a regular basis and not have to worry about finding parts for a 50 year old engine, drop in a LS engine. Getting 600 drivable HP is easy these days with a camshaft change, intake and some other minor bolt-ons and you will get 20 miles/gal.

If/when an Arntz Cobra hits $500k for a nice one, then slap in a S/O.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have not been up to a great deal of late however like with most projects, one thing leads to another and another and so on.

First up the Wilwood front brakes would look out of place against a 30+ year old spindle and control arms. So I thought that I would clean up the spindle, remove the casting marks and then send to powdercoat. More pics next week when I get these back.

The upper control arms were to have a rebuild with new bushings cleanup and repaint. Closer inspection revealed more attention was needed than just a clean and parts.

So instead of repair, I choose replace, with AFCO upper control arms. These have a 70% thicker mount plate, are about 40% lighter and have grease nipple pivots. All up these cost less that the repair option so the choice seemed right. Pics below of the old and the new.

And finally some cleaning of the jag rear has started. Again, 30+ years of build up and this is just the start. This will be fully rebuilt with braced control arms, new bearings and seals. This is just a pic of before and after with the hubs, more to come on this.

Last edited by leroy17; 04-11-2015 at 02:42 PM..
Old 04-11-2015, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Nice work........
Old 04-11-2015, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Everything you've done to the car has improved it. Looks great!

The comparison shot of the two hubs is amazing. You'll probably lighten the car by 50 kilograms just be getting the accumulated crud off everything.

I can't wait to see the car back on the ground, with the new suspension allowing it to crouch down over the pin drive wheels!
leroy17 likes this.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Front subframe before and after paint. Steering rack mounts and spindles after paint.

This is going to get addictive, Replacing nuts bolts washers for consistancy throughout and to remove element of doubt on 30+ year hardware.

Aussie Mike, guye, Chris L and 5 others like this.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This is a thoroughly absorbing thread.

We see lots of build threads (and don't get me wrong, they're good too) but this one's a rarity in this country in that it's all about restoring (or rescuing) a wonderful old car. The Arntz models have a deserved reputation as sturdy well-designed and built cars but the ravages of time and a lack of serious maintenance over its thirty something years have done this one no favours.

What started out as a quick tidy-up has turned into a comprehensive but sympathetic restoration, with all the old school charm of the Arntz to be faithfully retained. In hindsight it was always going to be difficult for Leigh to stop at purely cosmetic improvements, given his penchant for having everything "just so" (his always pristine Harrison was clear evidence of that) and I for one am really enjoying reading about what the rebuild is revealing and I'm so looking forward to seeing this champion old car once more venture forth in all its former glory.
Aussie Mike, Chris L and leroy17 like this.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OK, well last night was a little interesting. Lets move on to one of those builds/rebuilds where nothing is mm perfect and there is a bit of refurbishment/restoration.

First up I was looking for quick jacks that has some age to then, so it matched the rest of the 30+yo exterior. Came across these with all mounting hardware which will have a quick clean up however will have a nice aged appearance.

Currently working on LCA's, first was cleaning these back to raw before blasting and paint, However the shock mounts (pic is after straightening them) are what I would call too thin 3mm (some will more likely disagree), not straight and a little beaten. So I figured on new 1/4 inch thick mounts which will weld in to replace the current ones. This will also be welded with the correct spacing for shocks and spacers with 1/2 inch bolts.

After this will be to fab upper shock mounts. This pic shows somewhere along the line a few washers were spot welded onto a makeshift bracket. Sure it has stood the test of time, however its time to out the old and in with the new.

And finally, just because guys like pictures more than words, these are my two vision cars. Sure there a little different but this is what I am working towards, and leaning more to the blacked out wheel as well with the raw spinner.

And for Anzac Day, Lest we forget.
Aussie Mike, deano59, guye and 7 others like this.

Last edited by leroy17; 04-24-2015 at 02:20 PM..
Old 04-24-2015, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

if you want numbers like that made i can do them or any number 15 ys with out own vinyl cutter for doing our race car stickers and signs .
cheers dean
Zacson likes this.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First car looks "pretty", while the second car looks "pretty freaking tough!"
Black roll bar, wheels, side pipes and quick jacks... Love it!

The Arntz wheel arches will swallow those Hoosier tyres as well. Much cheaper than Billboards, same great look and better road manners.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Drb, 302 Comp cam, Cobra Nationals 2001 and 2002
Not Ranked     

Hey Leroy.
Project look like its going full steam ahead. Great photos. And no politics on this thread which is refreshing!
Ian
Towmaster and dhs.buckley like this.