Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2015, 03:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Love those wheels...I was so close to putting them on the 40, seriously. Image make a lovely wheel. The centre cap sticker peels off easy so you can change to something else or fit the spinners.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah Dave while they've probably never found their way onto a cobra or Daytona they do look the part. I have seen them on a few 40's though and in a 15 they are the goods.

Locally the only thing that even comes close for me is the DB51 painted by Dragway.

The benefit of these is that the look automatically says Cobra (I don't like the logo on the spinner though) which helps with identification I guess. Not a lot of Daytona's around these traps. And with the AUD going down down down they start to get competitive in pricing.

I'm reluctant to do the knock on adaptor thing. For authenticity its hard to beat but its hard to justify on my car when inside my car its all digital and modern. I'm still unsure of legality but if I'm not chasing that set up I don't need to worry as such.

Matt
Old 07-14-2015, 06:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wheel adaptors - Interpret as you will.
"The fitting of spacers or adaptors between wheels and hubs, other than those provided by the vehicle manufacturer, is not permitted."

DOT and Main Roads Minor Modifications
Vehicle Standards Instruction G19.1
Released March 2014
Updated July 2014
Old 07-14-2015, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

they are a nice looking rim matt as for the logo it wouldn't be to hard to get that machined off and another put on if you know someone with a cnc mill .
Old 07-14-2015, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

yeah Dean that's not an issue. It just bugs me that to get the wheels I want I actually need to buy from OS and they will cost me 25% LESS even after factoring in the weaker AUD and shipping. I mean for a comparable converted price I'd buy Australian even if it wasn't my first choice of wheel but when they're costing a grand more for a lesser wheel its hard to find the metal to go that way. Looks like more of my $'s are heading OS. Bloody shame.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

i know how you feel i was pricing some shocks for our race car Australian dollars $1400 from a Australian agent and 4 weeks wait . i got them out of the states in 14 days and cost me $ 895.00 Australian dollars too my door .
i am all for supporting local business but that much a difference i cant justify .a few dollars difference yeah i can wear that but not a third more in price and as it turns out they order them from the same place i bought mine from im all for supporting the Australian economy but i need to support mine first .
Old 07-14-2015, 07:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra RMC 377ci Windsor, Harrison Daytona Coupe, Ford XC Coupe.
Not Ranked     
Default Tyres

Mother,

Quote:
Stiffy
I use 17's with 555 Nitto's. Is that the tire you used on your 17's? [/quote]

No I am using Toyo Proxy 888's, I am lead to beleive that the Yokohama

range of 17" tyres would be better.

STIFFY
Old 07-14-2015, 11:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Spook,
Dragway can make that spinner look how ever you want.
They machine from a billet now instead of the old casting.

Heres a pic of mine, on the Cobra 10 wheel version specifically for my CR.
I was at Dragway a fortnight ago, I saw a set of the DB51 in progress for a customer, Machined Billet center had been grit blasted and painted, but not yet assembled, beautifully finished.

Dave
leroy17 likes this.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave they're impressive. I like that spinner better than the cast one for sure.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

Spook, wheels are such a personal choice and are one thing that really makes or breaks a car.

For what its worth, for the Daytona, I am a big fan of the Vintage FA18. They just look 'right'. You have already mentioned that you like them, and the more that I have looked at them, they just look right.

FA18 wheels PLUS adapter spinner kit ADTRSET : Vintage Wheels, Hot Rod and Muscle car

Or, paint the centers of your simmons a satin charcoal grey with black hot oxide bolts to replace the chrome ones (for memory). Done by the right place, the chrome can be stripped and the hot black oxide done and no hydrogen embrittlement . Kind of like this look (different rim I know).

Old 07-15-2015, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Oh, also, To give you a little more room in that shed of yours, I will take a set of your old race wheels of your hands.

Just trying to help out.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Spook,
Dragway can make that spinner look how ever you want.
They machine from a billet now instead of the old casting.

Heres a pic of mine, on the Cobra 10 wheel version specifically for my CR.
I was at Dragway a fortnight ago, I saw a set of the DB51 in progress for a customer, Machined Billet center had been grit blasted and painted, but not yet assembled, beautifully finished.

Dave
Dave, those wheels look awesome. The spinner with the hollowed out and center cap mods are just perfect. Very well selected.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

I've seen DaveW's and Ben's (Modena's) wheels up close and they are very nice. Then again I also really like Theo's (Serpnt's) wheels on his Daytona too. As Leroy says its a real personal choice and is one of the most important ones - good luck with your decision. Cheers Gregg
Old 07-15-2015, 09:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for all your feedback. Ive got prices back from Image now.

I even chased Whitehorse Industries who have a lot of the old Simmons wheels inners and outers but they cant do any centres of 60ish era which was disappointing as it would have made life easy.

I'm now going to get Chunky H around to go over my measurements to make sure I have everything spot on. Its not just about rims offsets and backspacing you also have to work out what tyres your going with etc etc. I'm going to run with Nitto NT01's I think at this stage as I want a taller tyre and profile in the rear to try and get a little more of the look I'm after.

Spookypt
Old 07-21-2015, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Some nice wheels here too. I particularly like the Grand Sport Style. Anyone used them?
PS Vintage Wheels Products

Last edited by spookypt; 07-21-2015 at 08:31 PM..
Old 07-22-2015, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Has anyone in Oz used PS Vintage recently?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: