Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 09:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans and Wooley, 302 Windsor, Supra turbo 5sp
Not Ranked     
Default Entry into motorsport

Hi all,

Just after some advise. After speaking to various members at last weeks club meeting prior to Shelbyfest, I am keen to put my cobra on the track at this years Nationals and Shelby fest next year.

I basically just want to have a blast around a racetrack because I finally can, and see how fast it will go down the straight. I figure I need a race suit, gloves, boots, helmet and fire extinguisher as a minimum.

My main questions are do I need harnesses? Will street tyres (Falken FK453) be ok? Will the standard Jag brakes and discs suffice? Will I need a cams license?

Cheers

Andrew
Old 04-11-2016, 04:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Andrew

As a first timer myself it is all do-able in a stock road going car, just don't expect to take home any trophies.

I went with two aims, don't prang the car and get under a 2 minute lap. Did both easily, the first with due deference to the two risky corner exits, the latter by pedalling as best I could and I managed to better my aim fairly easily.

Give our division leader was only 5 seconds further in front I'm very happy.

On gear, I had the time to wait and acquire a good race suit second hand but it isn't strictly required but does add a good measure of fire protection.

Certainly a harness is a good thing, I was working hard to keep myself in position in a lap sash as I didn't take the time to focus on the belts prior, I have some, so next time.

My car had standard noisy 15" tyres and standard jag brakes and all worked well for what they are.

Fire extinguishers are mandatory but regardless are good insurance anyway and you can buy licences for the day.

Have fun preparing for your first outing.

Last edited by stephen low; 04-11-2016 at 04:15 AM.. Reason: spelling and grandma
Old 04-11-2016, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans and Wooley, 302 Windsor, Supra turbo 5sp
Not Ranked     

Hi Stephen,

I definitely don't expect to take home any trophies (unless there is a participation award aka slowest drive on the track) they cost money and require skills I am sure I don't have. Glad you went well and had a blast by the sound of it.

On the harness front I assume they can be easily taken in and out as I reckon it would be annoying to put on just to go out for the day.

So on the equipment front is just a racing suit ok or do u need the under garments as well. Any recommendations on brands for helmet suit and the like?

Thanks

Andrew
Old 04-11-2016, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I assume the first time on the track in Australia is not much different than here in the USA. That being the case, there are lots of old threads about things for first timers to think about here on the full clubcobra.com . Use the search function and learn a lot (e.g., car preparation, fresh high temp brake fluid, arm restraints, resisting the urge to compete with faster cars, etc.).
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 04-11-2016, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP Pace427 (AP4033) GM L77 6.0L TR6060
Not Ranked     

Licence is required. Day passes sometimes available (like at ShelbyFest). I'd suggest you get a a CAMS l2s licence; the annual fee can usually be offset with discounts on insurance I think - with Shannon's?

Harnesses not required. But as Steve says I recommend them. My race harness clips in and out yes. You don't need the passenger side. At least not yet.

Fire extinguisher required. 1kg.

Gloves required.

Boots recommended. Closed in and usually leather or fire resistant shoes are required, and it is hard to get shoes narrow enough to dance the pedals easily.

Suit not required. Maybe use Yakka overalls like I did last weekend :-) heavy cotton is fire resistant. Not fireproof though. I am going to progress to that later on. Also I was sick of everyone asking me to check their oil, clean their windscreens, and "filler 'er up please".

Helmet required. I use my motorbike helmet, but if I didn't own one already I would buy a Hans compatible helmet with the Hans gear as well. Maybe next year.

All that advice I can give because I got a little trophy last weekend so now I'm a bonafide racer

Go to the CCCV site and check out the "Sup Regs" for last weekend's event. It tells you what the requirements are.

Last edited by guye; 04-13-2016 at 05:40 AM..
Old 04-11-2016, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakesaway View Post
So on the equipment front is just a racing suit ok or do u need the under garments as well. Any recommendations on brands for helmet suit and the like?
Teflon coated undergarments for the first couple of outings

Helmet: the wisest choice would be good quality full face and always drive with the visor down.
Mad94d likes this.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe, 416ci of LS goodness
Not Ranked     

Trust me when I say 'buy the best you can afford'.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

I'll certainly be reconsidering my open face on the next track outing.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's a poignant time to ask this question after Gavs little excursion.

May I strongly suggest forgetting overalls and a motorcycle helmet, despite what the minimum requirement is, and buy a helmet made for your own mellon that's Hans compliant, a hans device or similar, 3 layer suit or equivalent with underwear, gloves, boots, arm restraints etc etc then go to a race set up shop and get your belts fitted CORRECTLY and ensure u can reach your fire extinguisher belted, dual throttle return springs etc etc etc. the list goes on and u can't stop when it comes to safety.

If ever I'm on my lid, on fire or in the wall I need to ensure I did every thing I could pre incident to ensure the best outcome post incident for me and my family.

Practice getting out fast with your eyes closed.

Accidents happen novice or pro and u need to take track work seriously if u choose to leave the dummy grid for the WOT lane.

Good luck but happy to help if I can. Not wanting to Poo Poo just very aware we should take what we do seriously even if it's only the odd sprint day. What's your life worth?

Spookypt
Old 04-11-2016, 05:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

My best advice would be go to revolution racegear and get a package price done on helmet, Hans, suit, balaclava, boots and gloves. Do note that for the Hans to work you will need harnesses setup in good position.

You can save quite a bit if you buy in a package deal. Going for the extra Nomex layer suit is a couple hundred more, but worth it I think as it will last you at least ten years with only a few uses per year and that is cheap insurance.

The regulations for these club type events do not require fireproof underwear, socks or even balaclava - it's all more safety and up to you how far you want to go.
Gav likes this.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

My only other addition to the above would be to focus on what makes your car handle and stop better. A lot of people spend a lot of time and money on the "go-fast" bits rather than on the "how to stop better and turn better".

I have improved my car and lap times mostly over the years through focussing on tyres, brakes, suspension etc.

Also ensure prior to heading to the track that you do a "bolt check" and "safety check" and "fluids check" on your car.

cheers

Gregg
Gav and Modena like this.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjkrv8 View Post
My only other addition to the above would be to focus on what makes your car handle and stop better. A lot of people spend a lot of time and money on the "go-fast" bits rather than on the "how to stop better and turn better".

I have improved my car and lap times mostly over the years through focussing on tyres, brakes, suspension etc.

Also ensure prior to heading to the track that you do a "bolt check" and "safety check" and "fluids check" on your car.

cheers

Gregg

Good advice there. You must spanner your car and check all suspension, wheels and tyres for safety. Scrutineering will check your brake pedal, wheel bearings and general safety like brake lights but they do not look under the car or check that your suspension and chassis bolts etc are tight, nothing worn under the car, wheels are not damaged inside, etc. This is up to you.
Gav likes this.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Also,

Race suits can be expensive....there's often good ones on ebay at half the "new"price.

Something like this.....

RPM Mondial Race Suit FIA Approved | eBay

Not big on buying second hand helmets though.....Once they've had a good hit they don't have the same safety level.

Have fun.
Cheers,
Warren
Old 04-11-2016, 07:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car
Not Ranked     

Good advice all around. Usually not too bad to spin, as these cars tend to do, but to flip is a bit more unsettling. One more safety bit you should consider if you have an electric fuel pump is an inertia switch.
albanycobra likes this.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas_ View Post
Good advice all around. Usually not too bad to spin, as these cars tend to do, but to flip is a bit more unsettling. One more safety bit you should consider if you have an electric fuel pump is an inertia switch.
Further to the above I fitted a "kill switch" on my Dash (Missile switch type). So I can quickly disconnect Ignition as my ignition key is not as quick to get to on the steering column.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also have the missile switch but I connected to fuel pump relay
Old 04-11-2016, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
I also have the missile switch but I connected to fuel pump relay
Perhaps change this set up mate. By the time your car runs out of fuel and stops it may be all too late in a WOT throttle stick situation.

Connect kill switch to ignition and fuel pumps to oil pressure. Engine stops and so does fuel pump automatically.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

No, connect your fuel pumps to an inertia switch as posted a few posts above. Something bad starts to happen the inertia switch will kill the pumps long before your motor runs out of oil pressure.

Last edited by albanycobra; 04-12-2016 at 01:58 AM..
Old 04-12-2016, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Before you even worry about the car, get some driver training.

Well worth it's cost, far better than any blingy bit - the training will help keep you away from needing extinguishers, kill switches etc, and will help you safer on the track.
boxhead and LJ47 like this.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave I tend to disagree with you there. If I'm conscious fuel pumps stop by me killing power through battery isolation and if unconscious they'll stop on a dead engine. If engine is still running then the stewards pulling the remote isolator will kill engine and fuel.

In the case of a jammed wot u got a millisecond to smash a kill switch close to your hand. Manual kill switch to ignition will stop the car before you hit the wall not once the inertia switch feels the impact or an engine runs out of fuel even though the pumps dead.

Just how I run my car and I respect others opinions may/will differ.

Spookypt
gjkrv8 likes this.

Last edited by spookypt; 04-12-2016 at 02:33 AM..