Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2016, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     
Default South Australian AC Cobra manufacturer - ICCARS

I would just like to say a big thank you to those guys whom I have been communicating with this past week on this forum for all of your feed back and support, I look forward to getting to know you all much better as time goes on and to those of you who do not yet know who ICCARS is, here is a brief background about our business.

Island Custom Cars (ICCARS) was started by myself (Wil Escabache) in 2012 after I had searched for a period of time for what I could not find on the open market, and that was something true to the original AC Cobra chassis design of the 60's era. So as a qualified Toolmaker by trade and Engineer by profession I decided to design and build my own chassis. I found a body that I liked and off that body scale I built what is now known as the ICCARS ICC-001 chassis, a chassis that encompasses the originality of the look and feel of an AC Cobra, but with a fully revised suspension package that makes this car drive and feel like a modern road/race car. The process behind all of this work took some 6-7 years to achieve, however we are now fully set up to take on the responsibility of helping other like minded and passionate people get into their dream Cobra kit car. Since starting ICCARS we have built three kits, two to full completion and one part way through (my Kit!!)
However I can proudly say that we have achieved something very special with our ICC-003 kit (please see attached photos and you will understand what I mean), and today we are in the market and ready to assist any future potential customers should they feel that our kit is desirable to fit their needs.
Should you require any further information or advice please feel free to contact us via this forum or visit or website : iccars ac cobra kit or facebook : Island Custom Cars
I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards
Wil Escabache
Island Custom Cars
Attached Images

Wil Escabache
ICCARS AC Cobra 001 (AWD) U/C
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 05-22-2016 at 07:18 AM..
Old 05-22-2016, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     
Default ICCARS - AC Cobra Manufacturers

The Chassis:-

All ICCARS chassis are a space frame chassis design that has very high torsional strength (over 9,350Nm) which is amongst the highest around. The space frame chassis requires to be panelled just like the original, however we can assist with supplying all of the necessary laser cut panels, or we can panel it for you prior to delivery.
Aluminium panels come standard, however we recommend using stainless steel panels as an option and for longevity (especially if you live near the coast). That beautiful finish and high tensile properties that stainless provides is a clear benefit, and we down size the sheet thickness so weight is not an issue. All panels are SIKA bonded and sealed riveted which adds additional strength to the overall chassis over and above the 9350Nm... This is one serious chassis.
Attached Images

boxhead, albanycobra and itempany like this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 05-22-2016 at 07:07 AM..
Old 05-22-2016, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Chassis:-

With an ICCARS AC Cobra people will stop and look to ask "is it an original.." That is the sort of experience an ICCARS Cobra owner will be able to enjoy.
But more than that, the satisfaction of building an AC Cobra that resembles the originality of one, while you constructing it, that will be the real pleasure you will receive.
Attached Images

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-22-2016, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Drive line:-

To date we have installed the late model Boss 260/290 motors, 351W & 302W into our kits, however we are not restricted to any particular motor and have been requested to look at installing motors such as the Lexus V8 package into our kits. There is no limitation with regards to our chassis as to what motor can be fitted, the limitation is the compliance of the motor itself.
Automatic or manual transmissions are all the same for us, we will build it to suit your preference and set it up with the engine to maximise the 48/52% weight distribution as per the original AC Cobras.
Attached Images

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-22-2016, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The Suspension:-

All ICCARS come standard with the Front suspension based on the RX7 Twin Turbo and the Rear suspension being a Nissan Skyline cradle set up with Viscous limited slip diff as standard.
Our suspension set up has been designed to incorporate the best handling possible and the balance and feedback from the Skyline/RX7 combination is sensational, being regarded as the best handling AC Cobras he has ever tested by our certifying engineer here in S.A.
Furthermore, we have incorporated features such as anti-dive, 2x Chassis length Ackermann intersecting angles (similar to F1 style set up) on the steering geometry, zero bump steer and between 9-11 degrees positive castor depending on your application i.e. Road or Race.
What does this all mean - well it means that you will get the sensation of driving a very predictable, precise and well mannered car, that is very safe and friendly to drive.
We also cater for a Live rear axle and 5 link system, should you wish to go that way in order to fit in those bigger tyres that you had in mind..
Attached Images

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 05-23-2016 at 03:52 AM..
Old 05-22-2016, 07:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is no age limit when it comes to building an AC Cobra replica..
Just ask my son who has been helping me with the AC Cobra and other projects from the age of 7 years old and he is now 14, I'm very lucky to have such great help.
Thanks mate for all of the time we spend together in the workshop building cars.
Attached Images

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-23-2016, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just a few more snaps of ICC-003 (my favourite build so far)
Other than the suspension set up, braking system and wheels the rest of the parts were from a 2004 BA MKII xr8 and fitted by the owner into the car.
Attached Images

boxhead likes this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Iccars icc-003

Island Custom Cars ICC-003
Attached Images

albanycobra, schipps and itempany like this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-25-2016, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Iccars icc-003

ICC-003
More parts prep'd and painted - body painted on KI by the local body shop guys, I think they did a great job.
Attached Images

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 05-25-2016 at 06:53 AM..
Old 05-25-2016, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

they look very well put together , it was nice too meet and have a chat with you at the last cobra club meeting night . wish you all the best with it
cheers dean
ICCARS likes this.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

double post
Old 05-25-2016, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
they look very well put together , it was nice too meet and have a chat with you at the last cobra club meeting night . wish you all the best with it
cheers dean
Hey Deano, thanks for that feedback mate - did you check out the front suspension set up (you being a racer) thought you would enjoy the photos..
I look forward to the next Cobra Club meeting, there are some pretty enthusiastic guys there and they are the ones you want to be hanging around for motivation.

Cheers
Wil
deano59 likes this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-26-2016, 05:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Iccars icc-003

ICC-003
Suspension, chassis, panelling photos
Attached Images

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 05-26-2016 at 05:53 AM..
Old 05-26-2016, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What bloody size are those rear tyres???
albanycobra, Jaydee and ICCARS like this.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Inner Clearance ? What is the travel arc and how close do the tyres go to the frame ?
especially under full load ?
Nice work though ...very impressive.
ICCARS likes this.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmaster View Post
What bloody size are those rear tyres???
The metric conversion is 425mm wide..
boxhead likes this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-26-2016, 06:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. Smith View Post
Inner Clearance ? What is the travel arc and how close do the tyres go to the frame ?
especially under full load ?
Nice work though ...very impressive.
Hey Rob, my name is Wil and I had this guy come to me with these rims and say "how do we fit these into a Cobra" Well my initial thought was that we don't.
Anyway that's history now.. The tyres clear the chassis by 15mm/side and I set up a pan hard rod and actuated the suspension through it's travel by 40mm (perpendicular) without any obstruction. Then rotated it through it's arc to 65mm travel and we got down to 7-9mm clearance still. The funny thing is that the outer tyres section sits only 7mm from the body, but due to the arch in the rear body guard, the tyres miss and do not scrub either.. It worked out quiet well in the end, even to my surprise..
Cheers
Wil
Rob. Smith likes this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-26-2016, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Iccars icc-003

A couple of tyre clearance shots..
Attached Images

boxhead and itempany like this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 05-26-2016, 08:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Good to see how you managed to fit them in, but each to their own I think it looks ridiculous.
Wazza and dave295 like this.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modena View Post
Good to see how you managed to fit them in, but each to their own I think it looks ridiculous.
They're not for everyone that's for sure, but then I did a double take when I first saw a Cobra with 17" wheels. Now that size is the norm for most builders, because of the availability of better tyres and brakes, with only historic tragics sticking with 15s.

As has been said often on this forum, our cars are what we make of them. To each his own. Personally I wouldn't go to the extreme tyre size on this car --- but then I'm not the owner, who is free to do as he wishes.
boxhead, Marlox and ICCARS like this.