Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2016, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default If your looking for a windscreen

if your looking for a windscreen for your GT40 or Cobra I just found these guys. I was searching for something for my Datto and came across em. And local too!

Old Skool Screens
albanycobra and Jaydee like this.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

You can buy windscreens for Cobras from Windscreens O'Brien.
I have one I keep in my cupboard as a spare.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Been a while since I bought mine but it was quarter of that price from obrien
Old 12-01-2016, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Would you fit it yourself?
JD
Old 12-01-2016, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

This thread is Good timing.

As I now have some spare time, and a warehouse, I've decided to make some use of the space and do a bit of "buying and selling".

This week I purchased the remaining stock (15) of the Cobra windscreens from PGI
(Protector Glass Industries), which has recently gone into liquidation.

As PGI was the probably the best brand, I suppose screens from now on might be lesser quality, or higher price...or both ?....so I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to have a spare screen ready for when the inevitable happens.
You can also use the screen in the case of an Insurance claim...or a "free screen on your insurance policy"....I'd just resell it to the screen fitter for the "right" price.

Just ideas !

These are the highest quality laminated safety glass screens, with all of the correct E marks etc. for compliance requirements.

There is a considerable difference between the correct good quality glass, and many of the imported screens .

I've investigated a comparison price on Cobra screens, and O'Briens quoted me $758-00 to fit a replacement screen in their shop....and I'm told by a Gold Coast installer, that the glass would be from a Chinese manufacturer.

I've also asked Speedy Glass here at the coast the price to fit a new screen if I supplied the screen, and was quoted $160-00.
Also asked another screen fitter that we've used at my previous employment, and he said it "wouldn't be much"...and as he also owns a Cobra, advised it was very easy to "do it yourself".

In another comparison, I see that the "Glass only" on the Brisbane supplier in the above link is $479-00.

I'm selling these screens for $325-00 each, plus shipping costs.

They are made to fit all Cobras ( Except Kirkham...which are slightly bigger)

I'd suggest that a bulk shipment of maybe 4 or 5 screens to the N.S.W. Cobra Club or the Vic Cobra Club, would mean that the cost to purchase, and the cost to ship could be improved .

This is not a big deal....just dipping my toe in the water , and thinking of other items that I would be looking at.
( Side pipes? Hard tops? etc. etc.) but for now I will just get these screens out a.s.a.p.

Just send me an e-mail if you are interested...
warrenboylan427@gmail.com

Cheers,
Warren Boylan.

boxhead, Tenrocca, kyleb and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Wazza; 12-01-2016 at 06:32 PM..
Old 12-01-2016, 07:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Hi Waz,
Very nice....., now tell me more about the side pipes that come with it in the pic 2.

cheers
Dave
Wazza likes this.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My glass from O'Brien is XYG glass. Yes it's from china. No it's not crap. They are a 30 year old company supplying glass to GM, Ford and VW.

What is the 'considerable difference' exactly between the pgi and others?
boxhead and Rob. Smith like this.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In case theres a unicorn lying under a rainbow somewhere who is not aware of your no longer being involved with AP Wazza.. yes. Wazza has gone on alone into windscreen sales!
Old 12-02-2016, 01:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedn View Post
My glass from O'Brien is XYG glass. Yes it's from china. No it's not crap. They are a 30 year old company supplying glass to GM, Ford and VW.

What is the 'considerable difference' exactly between the pgi and others?
No worries...

I'm guessing you're not wanting one??

Never suggested your screen was "crap" ?

Yesterday...I asked the opinion from someone who works with Cobras, whether the PGI screens were anything "special"...because I didn't want to buy them and get stuck with a bunch of screens that I couldn't sell.

I was told that MANY of the windscreens currently coming out of China were of very poor quality....( cracked and chipped easily etc.), and that he would always put PGI forward as top quality.

He also said it was probably going to get a lot harder to get good quality screens for a reasonable price....so thought that these PGI screens would be very popular.

That's all I was saying.

If you are happy with your XYG screen, then that's great ...no worries.

They are long established and seem to be perfectly fine.

They also cost a LOT more than the screens I'm selling...so....not sure what you want me to add ?

Cheers,
Warren.

Already getting a good response, so get in while you can if anybody wants one.

Cheers again.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookypt View Post
In case theres a unicorn lying under a rainbow somewhere who is not aware of your no longer being involved with AP Wazza.. yes. Wazza has gone on alone into windscreen sales!
Not really the big windscreen empire....ha ha
Just practicing in buying stuff, storing it in my warehouse, and selling it.
If I could buy and sell enough "things" to make it worthwhile, then I wont need to get a real job.
Just trying to get on.

Cheers,
Warren
spookypt, Gav, schipps and 4 others like this.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

i heard they went bust some time back so thats a good score wazza. when i bought my first kit the frame and the glass were all seprate bits i put it together my self using lost of soapy water to get the glass to slide into the frame .
if i can do without breaking it any mug can .

cheers dean
Gav and Wazza like this.
Old 12-02-2016, 01:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
i heard they went bust some time back so thats a good score wazza. when i bought my first kit the frame and the glass were all seprate bits i put it together my self using lost of soapy water to get the glass to slide into the frame .
if i can do without breaking it any mug can .

cheers dean

PGI Windscreens
Old 12-02-2016, 01:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
No worries...

I'm guessing you're not wanting one??

Never suggested your screen was "crap" ?

Yesterday...I asked the opinion from someone who works with Cobras, whether the PGI screens were anything "special"...because I didn't want to buy them and get stuck with a bunch of screens that I couldn't sell.

I was told that MANY of the windscreens currently coming out of China were of very poor quality....( cracked and chipped easily etc.), and that he would always put PGI forward as top quality.

He also said it was probably going to get a lot harder to get good quality screens for a reasonable price....so thought that these PGI screens would be very popular.

That's all I was saying.

If you are happy with your XYG screen, then that's great ...no worries.

They are long established and seem to be perfectly fine.

They also cost a LOT more than the screens I'm selling...so....not sure what you want me to add ?

Cheers,
Warren.

Already getting a good response, so get in while you can if anybody wants one.

Cheers again.
I actually do need new glass. I built my frame from stainless steel sheet using the glass as a template. In doing so I accidentally cracked the glass. Back then I had less money and more time.

Just interested to know what the difference is between them all.

I just built a swimming pool with a glass infinity edge. It's 2x 3.1m lengths of 19mm glass 500mm wide.

A company wanted $6.5k to supply and install glass out of China. I bought the glass locally and installed it myself in half a day for $2.5k. In this case I don't know the break up of labour and components but it saved me a lot buying local glass. (Unless they were charging $4k for half a days labour!!)

I won't say what my glass cost for the cobra because it's your thread, but I can say it was no where near what's been mentioned in this thread.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got that quote from Obriens glass in Southport today ($758-00 fitted).... So maybe the change to the industry,and the factories closing,might have already pumped up the prices...I don't know.
I wasn't interested in buying these at first...because I just thought it was easy to get a screen at any time, and for bugger all money.....but my investigations were a bit of an eye opener.
That link that Spooky just posted from last year was interesting....I don't remember seeing that previously....thanks Spook !
Cheers,
Warren
Old 12-02-2016, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Did you ask about supply only? It's interesting, they are coming out to replace the glass in my Amarok next week for $800. That is a much more difficult screen and includes rain sensors and the like. It started at $1050, then to $900 if I prepaid it, then dropped to $800 when I said I would claim insurance.

I might call them up and see how much for the guy to bring a cobra screen supply only when he comes.

Last edited by Zedn; 12-02-2016 at 03:06 AM..
Old 12-02-2016, 03:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No worries.
I just want to sell these PGI screens.
No help to me to get another price quote on the screens from Obriens
Cheers
Warren

Last edited by Wazza; 12-02-2016 at 03:36 AM..
Old 12-02-2016, 06:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace Alumina 427 #69
Not Ranked     

Good mark up Wazz. Those Cobra screens were $130 each. and the GT40 about $160 each. I have bought heaps of them over the years.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm just going by what the current prices being quoted....and trying to sell mine for less than they seem to cost from other sources.

Not making much out of this...just an exercise in buying and selling stuff.

Starting to seem harder than I thought it was going to be.

I also bought windscreens many times....and they used to be about that price...but not aware of any good quality screens available now at anywhere near that old price.

So as long as we are comparing screens of the same quality as the PGI screens....then i guess you should buy them at the old price if they're still out there.
I couldn't find them.
Cheers,
Warren

Last edited by Wazza; 12-02-2016 at 08:33 PM..
Old 12-03-2016, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Betcha glad you started out on this little exercise Waz. Love your replies so far -- waiting for the cork to pop.

I heard from a credible source that you have a supply of genuine Motolita steering wheels that you're going to be selling for $25. I'll buy one if you could deliver it personally to my mate in Cooktown before Christmas. He'll pay you when you get there, but if you're half way up the coast and I find one on Gumtree for $23.99 then the deal's off.

Far canal!
boxhead, albanycobra, Gav and 5 others like this.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Geez wazza for a cobra community service and a few bob in your pocket you're copping an absolute pacesting lol No longer relevant I know but couldn't resist.

I have one of those screens in my daytona and they're fine and good quality. They'll sell wazza just put the word out.