Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By spookypt
  • 1 Post By Rob. Smith

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017, 06:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Govt cracking down on 1965 cobras

I was chatting to a NSW rep this am who was telling me cobra owners who have their cars registered as a 1965 car and were made after 85 are being called into the RMS pits and being de-plated on the spot as they fail to comply to 2001.

Interesting that RMS have taken this on. Someone must have pee'd someone off but it makes genuine rego'd pre-85 cars (left or right hooker) a scarce commodity now indeed. Stef, Dons and Craigs and one or 2 more maybe?

Its going to make those that have their cars rego'd as 65's on historic plates or normal plates and not compliant a little nervous if they haven't been called in yet.

In hindsight Im glad I didn't proceed with buying Tony Denny's RCR GT40 that he has in his museum. As although it was imported and is registered as a 65, Im not sure how you could put any value on it now as its un-registerable unless you changed a lot of stuff.

Some are arguing that they brought it in, in good faith as a 65 as that whats it was rego'd as in the US, but you'd be a brave man to make that argument if you didn't pay the duty value representing the value of a 65 cobra. Cant have your cake and eat it too I suppose.

Perhaps bullet dodged?
SydneyChris likes this.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX3021 Keith Craft 428fe
Not Ranked     

Scary stuff.

Last edited by Tengu; 03-24-2017 at 12:57 AM..
Old 03-24-2017, 12:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic CCX3021 Keith Craft 428fe
Not Ranked     

Hang on...what date is it ?

Last edited by Tengu; 03-24-2017 at 01:01 AM.. Reason: Duplicate
Old 03-27-2017, 03:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427 (#53) , LS3, TR6060
Not Ranked     

Oh, so they are not cracking down on 1965 Cobras, only people claiming to have a 1965 Cobra when they don't. Have you been reading Donald's tweets again????
Old 03-28-2017, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

I heard a rumour (yes, let's be clear - a rumour) that someone local to my area had a heavily modified car on historic plates and the RMS turned up with a warrant and removed the historic rego plates and the compliance plates from his car so that it can never be registered again. The historic rego doesn't allow for modifications.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Interesting Treeve,

If that happened, and the car could be modified to pass ICV engineering, could it not be registered as an ICV? Ive often wondered that about written off cars also - they now go on a cannot be registered list, but technically, if repaired correctly should be ICV roadworthy and could be registered as such?
Old 03-28-2017, 04:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

And you have to get a VIN, and the RMS will likely inspect the vehicle, as well as you having to convince the Certifier that you're not doing a dodgy. A certifier will know that a car which looks like it should have a VIN shouldn't need a VIN number application... for example a mass produced car. If I come across a vehicle without plates, I get the RMS to confirm the vehicle identity for me.

They're pretty hot on this stuff - moral of the story is don't do the wrong thing and you won't have to worry about the consequences.

To answer your question: basically no. They will determine it is never to be registered again and will keep track of a number of details that they won't let be registered again (for example your engine number will also be black listed).

Last edited by Treeve; 03-28-2017 at 04:25 PM..
Old 03-29-2017, 03:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
And you have to get a VIN, and the RMS will likely inspect the vehicle, as well as you having to convince the Certifier that you're not doing a dodgy. A certifier will know that a car which looks like it should have a VIN shouldn't need a VIN number application... for example a mass produced car. If I come across a vehicle without plates, I get the RMS to confirm the vehicle identity for me.

They're pretty hot on this stuff - moral of the story is don't do the wrong thing and you won't have to worry about the consequences.

To answer your question: basically no. They will determine it is never to be registered again and will keep track of a number of details that they won't let be registered again (for example your engine number will also be black listed).
This is nasty...BUT there are a lot of shonkey mods on all sorts of cars on historic and club plates. It is one of the big things that makes the rms take such actions and develop a negative attitude to "different" cars.
ICCARS likes this.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:24 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Jayzus I'm glad we don't have to deal with that level of crapolla. I feel for you guys.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Jayzus I'm glad we don't have to deal with that level of crapolla. I feel for you guys.
I suspect we'll see that here at some point. When I imported my car in 2014 and had it inspected I was told there were a number of Cobra replicas registered in the province (Saskatchewan) as 1965 or 1966 Cobras (a.k.a. originals). The authorities are aware of it, the big question is whether there's a will to do something about it.