Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano59 View Post
looks good Wil you are def a man on a mission cant wait to see what you have planed to mate the drive shafts up to the box at the front

cheers dean
Hey Dean, yeah I have waited a long time to do this and with the use of all donor parts to finish the car my overall expenses are minimal, I would estimate that I will finish this car for less than $20K doing it all myself including paint etc.. so the motivation is there and it is not costing me a huge amount of money (like the GT40 did..LOL) so my plan is to keep plugging away at the small jobs and then once the chassis is finished I will paint it and put the entire car together minus the body and drive it around to test it - lucky for me I live on a remote Island where the police don't come out to play until after midday, so early morning test runs into Emu Bay will be the go.. Then when I am confident in the drive system and braking etc.. the body can be built and made to fit the wider body stance.

Cheers

Wil Escabache
ICCARS AC Cobra 001 (AWD) U/C
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 08-12-2017, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: venom motorsports /ls1 auto
Not Ranked     

aussie mike
put me in for a v drive on the back of the box running under car to front diff
Aussie Mike and ICCARS like this.
Old 08-12-2017, 03:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I reckon I'd be looking for a Holden cross 8 gearbox and front diff. Should be able to adapt it to the Audi motor. Cross 8 has a transfer case on the back and a shaft going forward.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
I reckon I'd be looking for a Holden cross 8 gearbox and front diff. Should be able to adapt it to the Audi motor. Cross 8 has a transfer case on the back and a shaft going forward.
The problem is Mike that you have to lift the motor far enough to clear the drive shaft, especially a wide engine such as the Audi V8, thereby loosing the centre of gravity and bonnet clearance etc...
This has always been the problem for this type of car, however the real benefit that the Audi transaxle has over the Cross 8 is gearbox is the Torson diff that transfers power front to rear much like a Tru-Trac diff from wheel to wheel, so when you load one of these Torson diffs up it gives you 66% rear drive and 34% front, and under normal driving 50/50, then under heavy deceleration it transfers up to 80% drive to the front wheels, hence why I am looking to keep the Audi system, including ESC, ABS and traction control + body control modules etc..

Cheers
SydneyChris and Cobra72 like this.

Wil Escabache
ICCARS AC Cobra 001 (AWD) U/C
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: