Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2017, 01:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     
Default AWD ICCARS Cobra

Well finally after almost 10 years of design, engineering & planning I have managed to start my very own personal AC Cobra build project which by all accounts is something a little different to the standard Cobra's that we build here at ICCARS.
Due to some down time on our customers cars I thought I would start my chassis for my AWD Cobra, as this is a fully customised chassis that I am building from my plans and designs that have been amended over and over and over again to get what I believe is a very robust and reliable build which will incorporate a drive system for the rear & front wheels (70/30 power split respectively)
Due to using donor parts I have literally only spent three days on this build and by next week (once I receive other steel profile cut bits) I will have the whole thing rolling and ready to build the body supports as per our std design, so the process of building this Cobra can be sped up by virtue of the fact that I have all of the suspension, steering system, brakes and lines etc etc ready to go.. The body will require customising also to compensate for the wheel track of the Audi, so a split body will need to be made in the order of around 150mm wider - should sit nice and wide on the road.
The wheel package will be 295x35x17's Rear & 255x40x17's front which will provide a 0.4% wheel size difference (3% is the maximum variation in rolling diameter before it starts to mess with the traction control)
This is an Audi 4.2L v8 that I intend to run a single turbo on and only activate one side pipe and dummy the other - that's my initial though process but that may change in time. lol
I am not at liberty to discuss the drive design aspect for the front wheels as I have to go through the patent process in due coarse to protect my IP on this part of the build, however I am happy to discuss the other aspects should there be any interest.
Hope you like the build thread now that I have actually started!!!
Attached Images

boxhead, Gav, Jaydee and 1 others like this.

Wil Escabache
ICCARS AC Cobra 001 (AWD) U/C
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Last edited by ICCARS; 07-01-2017 at 03:25 AM..
Old 07-01-2017, 01:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AC Cobra - ICCARS 001, 4.2LTwin Turbo, AWD, 5 speed tiptronic under construction
Not Ranked     

Shortest tailshaft I have ever made up..

Next job is to make the rear cradle assembly chassis support and boot section, then I can work forward through the trans tunnel and front bulkhead and get the out rigger frames made up for seating position etc..
Really feeling enthusiastic about this build as it's for me and not someone else.. That makes a big difference in life!
Attached Images

boxhead, Gav, leroy17 and 1 others like this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-01-2017, 02:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

looking forewould to see this project unfold
keep the updates coming Will
chris
ICCARS likes this.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Love what you are doing there Wil. Great innovation and foresight. Look forward to progress updates.
Andrew
ICCARS likes this.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

This should be a fascinating build for lots of reasons. Looking forward to seeing the progress pics.
cdnus and ICCARS like this.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Very exciting to see this project finally under way Wil. Go for it!!

As a point of interest --- does this mean that you could be offering similar wide bodies in 2WD builds to future customers?
ICCARS likes this.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Most interesting!

Fwiw, I understand the guys who do wide body Healeys, widen the body in 3 sections to main proportions. Down the middle and then on each side from headlight to taillight. Perhaps something to consider.
ICCARS likes this.
Old 07-02-2017, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Most interesting!

Fwiw, I understand the guys who do wide body Healeys, widen the body in 3 sections to main proportions. Down the middle and then on each side from headlight to taillight. Perhaps something to consider.
Thanks for that feedback Dimis, I have no choice but to widen the body so any possible options as per the above advice are greatly appreciated mate. I was just thinking that a 150mm centre fill in piece may be the go but will research the wide body Healeys that is for sure.
Thanks again.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-02-2017, 02:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Neutral     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donunder View Post
Very exciting to see this project finally under way Wil. Go for it!!

As a point of interest --- does this mean that you could be offering similar wide bodies in 2WD builds to future customers?
Hey Don,
I was thinking along those lines as I really like the way this thing is coming together and may end up having a third option to my kits as we build the independent rear end, live rear axle 9" set up and maybe the wide body will be another aspect of the future of ICCARS Cobra kits. Will keep you posted!
Cheers
Donunder likes this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-02-2017, 03:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Started the rear cradle frame today and I am happy with it now, but some minor mods were required to clear the actual cradle frame. Once fully welded and braced this will provide more than adequate strength to the rear end of the chassis (torsional aspect) and will make life easy to install and remove the cradle assembly for rebuild and painting etc..

The hardest part of this rear assembly is the inconsistency of the Audi cradle - go figure!! Some minor adjustments however an I have it lining up within 1mm accuracy (and still I was thinking I might tweak it some more - )

This set up also provides additional leg room to my std chassis configuration, so a win win..
Attached Images

cg514 likes this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-02-2017, 08:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

I like the adjustable strut brace
Will you be running a modern style wheel with lots of back spacing, or is the increased body width to allow for wheels with a bit of dish?
ICCARS likes this.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 750hp View Post
I like the adjustable strut brace
Will you be running a modern style wheel with lots of back spacing, or is the increased body width to allow for wheels with a bit of dish?
Lol, I might need to make that brace standard issue Craig.. only works in tension but!!

I am going to look for some modern wheels as I will need an 11" rear and 9" front wheel, and yeah the increase in body width has two benefits 1. allows for the use of the std rear cradle and front strut assembly without the need to modify 2. will give some room for a bit of dish on the rear mainly; the front wheels will be very similar in offset to the original wheels - by my calcs based on my CAD design is should be able to get a maximum of 100mm dish on the rear wheels with the wider body and an additional 3" per side in the cabin area for a bit more comfort and roomyness..

Just did some quick searching last night and it looks like I may need to go to 18's to get the tyre sizing I am after as there is only one 295x35x17 left that I can find and I don't know if Khumo intend to release that size in their new range of KU36's..
albanycobra likes this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-04-2017, 03:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Only had a few hours today but starting to look like a cobra shell..

Plenty of seating room and extended leg room for the drivers side!!
Attached Images

dhs.buckley and cg514 like this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-04-2017, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Great work will......you need one of these to make it easier though

Old 07-04-2017, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Great work will......you need one of these to make it easier though

This would be a god send, but I could only imagine what sort of $$ this would be worth to purchase.. How good is the round tube fit though!
FUNFER2 likes this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-05-2017, 12:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Wil there's something wrong with my computer at the moment that's not allowing me to see posted random photos or to "like" posts. So let me go the long way around and say I'm following this build with more than my usual interest in what you're getting up to down there, and especially I'm lovin' the extra width and leg room you've managed to create for the driver. Scott Hampson managed to vastly improve the leg room in my Arntz for me, but to see you providing this extra room from scratch for we sufferers of excess height is nothing short of sensational.
ICCARS likes this.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Speaking of Scotty Hampson he's threatened to build an awd cobra since 08! Itll be awesome to see your build unfold.

No more under/over steer me thinks?
boxhead and ICCARS like this.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not too bad for 1 weeks work, lol.. almost rolling.. maybe by the weekend

Ready to start the roll cage section for the top of the chassis frame and boot section now, but still need to set the steering column/rack position right and get the struts in the correct position - running 10degrees positive castor as per standard Audi spec's. Wheel base has been shortened by 400mm and track remains the same front & rear, although I will look to get a slightly larger tyre offset on the rear.
Attached Images

boxhead likes this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net
Old 07-05-2017, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

hello Will the rate you are going it will be finished in a couple of weeks
have one question the front coilover struts seem high or is it just an optical?
chris
Old 07-05-2017, 03:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg514 View Post
hello Will the rate you are going it will be finished in a couple of weeks
have one question the front coilover struts seem high or is it just an optical?
chris
Lol, wouldn't that be nice, but I reckon if I keep to the build schedule I will have it close to completion in about 6 months time.. Fingers crossed - there's a lot to do on the body side, the chassis is relatively easy all things considered..

The front and rear springs are un-sprung at the moment and I need to find the right compression height for them once I have all of the weight applied to the chassis, and by my calcs that will drop the spring retainer on the front shocks by around 100mm, however the beauty of this design in that both of these mounts locate inside the outer guard which is set up from the bonnet, so it will have plenty of clearance when finally positioned.

Cheers
cg514 likes this.

Wil Escabache
RF 098 GT40 Twin Turbo
ICCARS GT40 - U/C
www.iccars.net

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: