Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2018, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Engine / Transmission. Which way to go.

So the brain picking begins. I have been doing some looking around and have almost set my mind on the Coyote engine with a Tremec 6 speed manual gearbox. Is there any reason not to go down this path. What ever engine I decide on it will be new. And a ford.... Cheers all.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

LS with a 8 throttle body cross ram intake and clockwise rotation water pump.

You and anyone will be pleased at what they are looking at, that it being or not being a ford will have no bearing.
Gav and kyleb like this.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Cobra RT3, Roush 427R Crate Engine, Tremec 6-Speed Transmission
Not Ranked     

My Backdraft Cobra has a Roush 427R engine (550 HP, 528 FT.LBs.) and power is transferred through a Tremec T-56 Magnum 6-speed manual Transmission (Model TUET11010). The drive shaft is connected to a 3.46:1 rear differential. 1st gear-2.66, 2nd gear-1.78, 3rd gear-1.30, 4th gear-1.00, 5th gear-0.80, 6th gear-0.63. Just perfect for my street and freeway driving. I am not a racer. (70 MPH @ 2000 RPM)
SGwick likes this.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMCobra View Post
My Backdraft Cobra has a Roush 427R engine (550 HP, 528 FT.LBs.) and power is transferred through a Tremec T-56 Magnum 6-speed manual Transmission (Model TUET11010). The drive shaft is connected to a 3.46:1 rear differential. 1st gear-2.66, 2nd gear-1.78, 3rd gear-1.30, 4th gear-1.00, 5th gear-0.80, 6th gear-0.63. Just perfect for my street and freeway driving. I am not a racer. (70 MPH @ 2000 RPM)
The question is from an owner in Australia. They have some pretty draconian rules there. There is practically no way around the choice of the Coyote or LS.

If you have to go with a modern engine then at least stay with Ford
Rob. Smith likes this.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldcomfort View Post
So the brain picking begins. I have been doing some looking around and have almost set my mind on the Coyote engine with a Tremec 6 speed manual gearbox. Is there any reason not to go down this path. What ever engine I decide on it will be new. And a ford.... Cheers all.
Depending on you choice of kit/car the coyote may require some modifications due to its extra girth. Sometimes this involves modifying foot boxes potentially resulting in reduced leg room.
On the 6spd, you may need to widen the trans tunnel to accommodate a t56. Also, it’s likely to cause issues with the short drive shaft that cobras have. Again reducing interior space, possibly limiting your seat options.

That all said, there are many cars that run the combo you’ve mentioned. It’s a sound choice.

Leroy17 however makes a lot of sense. It’s sage advice.
The LS option will be best bang for buck and is likely to give you fewer headaches to install. Sticking and 8 stack on it will blow most everyone’s mind (mine included, the look is pure awesomeness). But know this for sure, if you dont go ford, I’ll certainly pick on you.

Welcome, congrats, and best wishes with your project.
Thanks for sharing.
Gaz64, PSYCHO and Coldcomfort like this.

Last edited by Dimis; 03-24-2018 at 09:10 PM..
Old 03-24-2018, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys. I am leaning towards the Absolute Performance kit. They mention the coyote as an option.... Does this mean that it is a drop in and smile fit? Or would I still have to do mods as mentioned? And although I have nothing against the LS motor I am definately going down the ford path..... I ve had ford V8's since I was 21. XC 351 auto with a ford tow pack got it all started....
Old 03-24-2018, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ICCARS,6.0LT L98 TR6060
Not Ranked     

Hi Brian,

Personally i have red and blue blood running through my veins. For me it is what ever makes the most logical and economic sense. I am going for LS2 and 6 speed manual, as Dimis said, the LS is a compact motor.I had a look at a couple of Cobra's that had 260 Boss motors and it was practically a body of job to remove the rocker covers. Parts are also readily available and more reasonably priced.
What ever you use though will be awesome.

Richard
Coldcomfort likes this.

Last edited by ssv ute; 03-24-2018 at 11:48 PM..
Old 03-25-2018, 01:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #69, HSV LS2, T56, Custom rear suspension
Not Ranked     

Having owned and competed in Japanese cars for years I did consider a Toyota V8 but in the end decided that a nod to the USA was necessary. The car was designed to use a Commodore IRS diff so a LS2 and T56 seemed to be the way to go. So far have had no reason to regret the decision.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Coldcomfort,
Follow your instinct and stick with something with a Ford badge in a Cobra replica.
I am using a SBF 302 Tickford engine (mated to a Toploader) in my AP FIA replica as it is from the same engine family as the original 260/289 Cobras. Attitudes here in Australia to engine choice are a little more....er.....lax....but over the pond, 90% of builders go with engines from the correct family in their Cobra replicas.
Cobra replicas are typically so light in weight that (IMO) you don't need to go chasing ultimate power to have the fastest car on the block.

Bottom line, though, is that it's your car, so go with what pushes your buttons. Enjoy the process!

Cheers,
Glen
Coldcomfort likes this.

Last edited by xb-60; 03-25-2018 at 04:25 PM..
Old 03-25-2018, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

LS the world!
Old 03-25-2018, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Don't believe the hype of a T56 - go a TKO600 instead, the gear ratios are effectively the same 1-4, and it's not like you really will notice 100-200rpm cruising difference. The gear shift is infinitely nicer 2-3 on a TKO than a T56, and the gear shift location can be exactly where it should be for a cobra with a TKO.
For engine, it depends which state you're in but it's not impossible to get a Windsor rego'd, and that's the way I'd be going over a Coyote or an LS.
Don't do an 8 stack as you won't pass emissions or noise testing.
Rob. Smith and Gaz64 like this.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

LS9 with a TKO600.

Factory titanium rods, 638hp.

Or an LSA, second choice.

The Coyote is nice, and can make big power, just too wide to work on.

Gary
Old 03-25-2018, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
.... it's not impossible to get a Windsor rego'd....
Correct. It's not impossible. In fact in SA, it's easy. A non-modified Windsor gets a tick in the box after it's passed a CO2 test at idle and a noise test at idle

Cheers,
Glen
Old 03-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

CCCV (Victorian Club) has a member with a Coyote in a Pace - he is delighted with the car.

There are also several with modular/coyote/cammer engines in Superformance's and a couple of Kenmer's with Modular engines in the club.

Research time is important - so is eyeballing and talking to folk about their experiences.
All good stuff. Have fun.
Coldcomfort likes this.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for all the input guys. I will be in the US June next year. I plan on buying my engine/transmission then. I will freight it to myself. Please excuse my ignorance when I ask these questions..... if I bought a tremec 6 speed box, can I order it with customised gear ratios?
Old 03-26-2018, 04:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Sure, but 4th will still be 1:1 and then you have two overdrive gears which is a wank factor thing and it doesn’t address the ****ful 2-3 change. If you want custom gearing you may as well buy a really good box and not bother with tremec at all but go down the path of a proper box like quaife, for example. The TKO 600 is rated to a continuous 600lbft torque, which is bloody impressive. All whilst offering you a shifter location which is perfect for a cobra without modifications and a slick gear change.
Gaz64 likes this.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
Sure, but 4th will still be 1:1 and then you have two overdrive gears which is a wank factor thing and it doesn’t address the ****ful 2-3 change. If you want custom gearing you may as well buy a really good box and not bother with tremec at all but go down the path of a proper box like quaife, for example. The TKO 600 is rated to a continuous 600lbft torque, which is bloody impressive. All whilst offering you a shifter location which is perfect for a cobra without modifications and a slick gear change.
Yes, TKO or a high end Quaife 5 speed would be far superior to a T56.

I've always hated the shifter feel and the worst 2-3 of any cars I know, including most FWDs.

6 speed sells cars, but do you need .75, and then a .50 6th gear?

Gary
Old 03-26-2018, 03:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Coldcomfort

I swapped out a clapped out T5 I'd originally bought behind my AU Windsor for a TKO600 and can only confirm the comments regarding this gearbox's versatility.

Cruising at 100kph in 5th is 1850 - 1900 revs for me with a 3.45 diff and hill work needs me in 4th with the little 5 litre but is ideal for maintaining speed whilst a shift to 3rd gives me plenty of poke for overtaking.

I imported mine, but for not much more I'd recommend working through Mal Wood in Qld for local supply and support to help overcome any technical issues and queries that might arise.

Steve
Old 03-27-2018, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Come to think of it, a 5-3 shift is as bad as a 2-3, so a rapid downshift is not as easy as some. One of my cars was near impossible to miss third gear 2-3 or 5-3, was like playing a game console.

And yet, in a few customers cars I could never replicate that type of shift, would baulk every time.

A stock T56 is ok, but no good for hard shifting.

I hate wasting time out of gear.

Gary
Old 03-27-2018, 03:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

A stock T-56 might have these issues, but with careful setup and shimming, they go straight from 2-3 in one push, I know because mine does. The stock ones I've had in other cars are pretty **** in comparison.

6th is certainly not "wank factor" in my cobra, I have a 3.7:1 diff, and at 110kmh I wouldn't want to be sitting in 5th for a long time. In 6th it's about 1850rpm which is just nice for long highway work. Agreed TKO600 is a "better" box, in any case.
Aussie Mike, Gaz64 and Coldcomfort like this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: