Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2018, 01:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Which Cobra Replica's for someone 6ft?

HI ACC,
I have recently started looking for a Cobra and have been reading many threads on this forum researching Cobra's.
I am looking for some advice as to which companies have the most suitable kits for someone 6ft or above?
I looked at a pre built Cobra today that was lovely. It was a DAX and looked the goods but my knee's were touching the bottom of the dash and the seat could have gone back a few inches ideally but no room for that and could have sat a little lower too ideally.
The other question I have is to steering wheel position. I found the one today was a little left of where it should be and am wondering if this is common?
Any help and advice would be much appreciated
Old 04-06-2018, 02:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

At 6' you should have little trouble in finding something to suit.....but, if you are looking for luxurious comfort you're looking at the wrong car.

From a Qld perspective, the Absolute Pace cars are plenty roomy. I'm 6'4" and I drove one of the early Pace cars easily for an extended 170klm drive. The early DRB cars are also roomy but they are getting on and you'd possibly have to do an update to suit your needs. Still, you'd be looking at modifying an existing car instead of starting from scratch. Get in touch with the SA Cobra club for advice if you find a likely prospect.

My own car is an Arntz, an early US replica that had a reputation for being suitable for tall people. I also had my floor dropped about 4" where my feet sit. This made a huge difference in comfort, and safety, as I clear the dash and steering wheel and have very acceptable leg room to the pedals. As a bonus there is ample room to the left of the clutch to stretch my left leg during highway driving. (My car remains LHD). In fact some of the Qld club guys of average height have said they'd have trouble driving my car because of the reach to the pedals.

There are other space-creating tricks of course, but I'd highly recommend dropping the floor first and then seeing if you really need to do anything else. You can't do this in a Pace because of its method of construction, but then again ....you don't need to!
Old 04-06-2018, 04:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Since your 6 foot, you could go with a Classic Roadster. It is stretched a few inches with a longer door too which is easier to get in and out.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:11 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

I agree with Studebaker53, I don't know how many Classic Roadster's made it to AUS. But our car's wheel base is 96" with the 6" in the int. area. Another one is "Unique" I know a good friend, that had one, and he was 6' 2", fit was just fine for him. Cheers Tom.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:10 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

You should check out Backdraft. Especially based on your location.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

my era fia is fine fit for me. im 6'0" 205 lbs.

i didnt fit well in a 289 unique fyi.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Guys,
thanks for the advice. I am in SA but that is South Australia so a lot of those kits are not readily available here, I do appreciate the advice though.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

The original Cobra wheelbase was 90 inches and tall people had a problem not only in leg length and width but also in the steering wheel to seatback distance.
This created a demand for a car that you taller blokes could fit into. Therefor a few kit suppliers lengthened their cars by four inches in the door section. I am talking about Ozy based suppliers.
I know Harrison and Wooly / Evans did a 94" kit as well as the 90 but they have both gone into retirement
Old 04-07-2018, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft RT3 #1133, Ford Racing 306
Not Ranked     

LOL. SA = South Australia! Reminds me of someone who said he was from LA = Lower Alabama.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1436 514
Not Ranked     

I have a Superformance Cobra. 6'2". Fit just fine.
Old 04-09-2018, 05:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Snake Pit DRB 302W
Not Ranked     

I'm 6'4" 120kg and have only tried 2 cobras. The first was an RMC and I could just drive it, but it wouldn't of taken much to make it better.My brother who is the same height but built like a greyhound sat in it quite comfortably though. The second was an Evans and I had no chance, couldn't even drive it and sitting in it looked like donkey kong on Mario cart. I had talked to a bloke who had a DRB and was 6'6".
Old 04-09-2018, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MkIV 427
Not Ranked     

Classic Roadster. Unfortunately, they are out of business. 96” wheelbase and 2 or 3 inches wider, I’ve been told. I know of one in Arizona that is for sale but that may be an issue for you.
Plenty of guys in the Cobra club are 6’ plus and don’t say anything about an issue. They have a Superformance and a Kirkham. I am 6’ and have a Factory Five. It’s a bit snug, but with the right shoes it works. Driving shoes, which everyone seems to have, will let you stretch out under the clutch pedal on long trips. Running shoes sole at the heel will catch the 2” lip on the floor when releasing the clutch in my FFR MKIV. Important to note, I am a size 13.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #2144 with a Roush 342R (sold June 2018, but still lurking on Club Cobra)
Not Ranked     

I'm 6'1" and 225 pounds. I have a Superformance and it fits me just perfect. The seat is offset a few degrees to accommodate the transmission tunnel so foot placement and leg angle are not in an uncomfortable position. Plus, I installed a 1" spacer under the seat to increase the support under my leg. All in all, very pleased.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

I am 6'1" with long legs.

I love the Superformance, but personally, I was not comfortable with the way the pedals were offset to the right, and the steering wheel to the left compared to the seating position. Kind of felt like I was riding 'side saddle'.

I have an Absolule Pace 427SC and it fits me well. The pedals are directly in front of the driver and the footbox is roomy. It also has a wide cockpit. The steering wheel is also about as centrered (to the driver) as you'll get in a Cobra. These were all very important factors in my decision to purchase a Pace.

Pace also have an option where you can set the seat even further back with factory-modified wheel arches.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just spoke to Wil at ICCARS and he designed and built his for himself initially and he is 6'2". Havent sat in one as yet but he says steering wheel is centre to the driver.
ssv ute likes this.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

The other thing worth mentioning in addition to your fitment and comfort in the car is the body shape. The layperson thinks all Cobra's look the same. However, there are subtle differences in the bodyshape and dimensions of each manufacturer's offerings which you either like or don't like. The biggest difference usually revolves around the rear quarter treatment/shape/lift and the extent of fender flares or if it is rolled pretty much smooth (ie. Python).

For me, there are only three manufacturers whose body shapes I like. Superformance, Kirkham and Absolute Pace. As aesthetics are very personal, your mileage may vary!

Last edited by Paintwerks; 04-11-2018 at 06:59 PM..
Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post

For me, there are only three manufacturers whose body shapes I like. Superformance, Kirkham and Absolute Pace. As aesthetics are very personal, your mileage may vary!
And I'd throw in Contemporary too as thats the body the AP was flopped off with some Robnell influence.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yes the challenge is seeing them to see the different shapes. Website pictures don't do a great job of showing the differences if you haven't seen them in the flesh.
Hopefully the South Australian Cobra Club will have something on soon that I might be able to see a few different cars at. That having been said I don't know if I have seen a picture of a Cobra that I haven't thought was nice to look at.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Click on the Cobra Shape Comparison at the bottom of this page.

Cobra Car Club of NSW : Cobra Car Club of NSW

It'd be great if we updated this as its quite useful.
Rob. Smith, Marlox and TassieCobra like this.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:21 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am keen on the Absolute Pace too. I am 6'2" and fit in it easily, seated nice and low too with pedals and wheel straight in front of me. It was the main reason I chose the Pace car in fact.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: