Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2020, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAddict View Post

I didn't know the Roush 427 was also a stroked 351. Sooo much to learn here

I would love to source one locally however have not yet found anyone that offers such a thing. It seems to be very much an American thing !!
Roush offers both big block and small block engines. But, having had a 427IR in my Cobra (it came with it), I would assert that they are overpriced for what you get compared to other builders. However, the logistics of working with an engine builder in the US and shipping to Australia might be offset by taking a standard production component. Worst yet you may be forced to a Chevy engine for your emissions requirements. Does Coyote meet those requirements in AU? Superformance will build a car that can accept a Coyote engine, but I don't believe Shelby does so yet.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Ideally I think as someone else stated, try to see if you can get a ride in one or two. The majority of us do not need a BB 427 and are very happy with a SB. Having a BB may be more original but then the debate comes up about 427 and 428. I know one guy who tracks and his favourite engine he has had was a 347 and he has owned four replicas with diff engines. So it comes down to your needs, dollars, availability and in your case emissions.

Regardless of the drivetrain, you will have a blast driving. Just don’t compare it to a Lexus or Audi as some like to do from a ride perspective.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAddict View Post
It varies quite a bit from state to state. Being in Victoria I am able to register the car under our 'Club Permit' scheme as it is recognised as a 65/66 reproduction and therefore qualifies as grerater than 25 years old and hence able to get club permit rego. With this you can pretty much do what you want ie. hot rods etc. I believe its only when you go for 'full registration' you get hit with all the hurdles.
Not at the moment you can't. VicRoads moved the goal posts recently.
Gav likes this.
Old 04-01-2020, 11:50 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Hi Andrew, as most of us have said, talk to owners, ride, and hopefully drive, as many Cobras as you can, before you make up your mind, what fit's your needs. I have been fortunate enough, to drive org. Cobras (in the 70's), as well as many, many, different makes of the Cobras we now own. I can give you my opinion since I have a Small Block, as well as a Big Block (Never in a million years did I think I would every own two Cobras). Both have their good & bad points, won't get into them here, because not one of those bad points would ever be enough to sell either one If I were going to own just one, it would have to be a (Kirkham, ERA, Unique, Pace) 289FIA car. The believe the best of both world's. A 347 SBF (see that you may have to use a late model motor) with 425-475HP, is plenty enough horsepower to get in trouble with, a 5-speed for hi-way cruising. Tri-go wheels are one of the nicest looking wheel's, and the FIA body, is just right between a wide body, and a street 289. Anyway my $.02 worth, Cheers Tom.

Last edited by Alfa02; 04-01-2020 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: added a word
Old 04-02-2020, 05:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I'd suggest you talk to a signatory engineer to get your information confirmed. If you want to buy a turn key car. Make sure it's engineered and certified. Otherwise. Good luck with your requirements.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob. Smith View Post
I'd suggest you talk to a signatory engineer to get your information confirmed. If you want to buy a turn key car. Make sure it's engineered and certified. Otherwise. Good luck with your requirements.
Great suggestion from Rob. You will get good advice from the Vic. Cobra Club...but if you're buying a (new) turnkey car or a roller and then fitting an engine of choice, you'll absolutely need the services of a signatory (compliance) engineer.

If you buy a car that has compliance for registration (ie is already registered), check that it hasn't then been further modified as you could then run into legal problems with non-compliance.

As Modena stated previously, "VicRoads moved the goal posts recently", so advice from a signatory engineer is absolutely necessary to ensure that you don't waste a lot of money.

Enjoy the ride!
Cheers,
Glen
Old 04-04-2020, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

G'Day Guys

Thanks so much for the feedback. Some great 'and surprising' information here. Just to cover off a few of the comments I can't ever see myself putting a Chevy Engine in a Cobra. To me that is sacrilege and I think if that is my only choice I would have think hard about committing that amount of money to such a project.
I must look into these recent changes in VicRoads regulations. That is also a bit of a surprise as I was only speaking to John at LJ Performance Sports Cars, The Superformance Authorised Australian Distributor' and it was he who told me of the freedoms we have here under the Club Permit scheme in terms of allowing side pipes and Roush engines. No doubt I shall be talking to him again and bring it up. I am planning to buy a turnkey so perhaps he has this sorted through his connections. I assume he has his own signatory (compliance) engineer he uses for each car he builds. I don’t know!? I can only assume John knows what he is doing

I will certainly consider the SB vs BB 427 comments made although I am leaning toward the BB for authenticity shake. I guess the best way is to wait until this bloody COVID-19 **** passes and get into the club, have a good chat with some of these good people (take a slab with me and see how I go ) and just maybe bot a couple of rides in some SBs and BBs and just see how they feel.
Alfa02 likes this.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ok so as I continue on my manic obsession for 'affordable' authenticity I have now been focusing on the cosmetic side of things.

Colour wise it would appear that 'Guardsman Blue' was the only original blue offered by the factory (I know.. yes I want a blue one too !!)
Is that correct?

I was originally going to focus on a roadster with the front and rear roadster bumpers and glovebox however then I read that the roadster never had the side pipes, a must in my opinion, or the Good Year Eagle billboard tyres which I am keen on. So I changed my focus to the S/C. Then I find the S/C which did have the side pipes, large filler cap etc, never had the roadster bumpers, only jack brackets and no glove box
Then just to make it more confusing when you pull up pictures of authentic 65/66 427 S/Cs sold over the years at auctions you do see S/C with roadster bumpers and glove boxes.

One interesting option I found was some manic people like me actually select an original CSX3xxx car and simply copy it as much as they can. I guess that would be one answer

Can I have 427 S/C with side pipes and glovebox along with roadster bumpers and still be satisfied that it is appropriate or will I have the bastard child of a 427 roadster/427 S/C one night stand?

I've just purchased a book off eBay that I hope will enlighten me further. 'Shelby Cobra: The Snake That Conquered the World by Colin Comer'.
Looking forward to a good!
Old 04-04-2020, 07:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

One final question for now.

The pipes themselves. I see ceramic (a kind of silver frost look) is very popular. What wre on the original cars. Was ceramic available then as an option or only chrome, black and white which is what seems to be on the original cars.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Andrew, the vast majority of original 427 Cobras were produced as roadsters, so no side pipes, street dash with glovebox, and token bumpers front and rear.

The vast majority of Cobra 427 replicas are produced as S/C clones, so the replica 427 roadster is very rare. If you want it to look like an authentic original, that would be the one to go for, and then you get the street dash and glovebox. If you decided to add sidepipes to a roadster without trying to turn it into a S/C clone, that would certainly not be frowned on.

In the end, it's really what you want to do that matters. Bear in mind that most people think that a Cobra is an MG or some other British sportscar, particularly here in Aus. where Cobras are so rare.

Some pics of CSX3104...

Cheers,
Glen
Attached Images

Alfa02 likes this.

Last edited by xb-60; 04-05-2020 at 07:20 PM.. Reason: spelin
Old 04-05-2020, 05:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

It is hard to beat blue on a cobra!

Does anybody run a straight pipe alongside the rocker with a bolted on cap that can be removed with mufflers under the tail?
Old 04-05-2020, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 351w
Not Ranked     

Original cobras were painted in often whatever was available. White, blue, red was all fair game. I believe Viking Blue was the original blue or a Shelby racing colour and that I believe morphed to Guardsman which is a deeper blue. There are many on CC that have a lot of this knowledge. I suggest you do some searches here on the forum as the history about colours and engines have been discussed many times.

Edit - educated myself and the comp and S/C came over from the UK unpainted. There is a list of original colours for those and Guardsman was one. The mk I and II had a list of colours and Princess Blue (UK) became Viking Blue.

Last edited by KDubU; 04-05-2020 at 06:11 AM..
Old 04-05-2020, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Andrew, here's CSX3360, the last 427 Cobra produced. Got to admit though, it was originally painted red, but doesn't dark blue look great on just about any car? Bit biased; I have an Alfa in Posillipo Blue (similar blue). Looks great

Cheers!
Glen
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2020, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Another blue roadster, an ERA 427. Note the tyres - Avons, an excellent choice for grip. I think these are road legal here in Australia, but the Goodyear Billboards you mentioned are not.

Cheers,
Glen
Attached Images

Gav likes this.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

....and another ERA 427 roadster in Guardsman Blue. Note the exhaust
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2020, 02:47 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Glen, if you can help me out, with photo's . A common misnomer about the "Goodyear Billboard" tires. Between the 60's (Say 63-70) no race or street Cobra every wore the so-called Billboards. The tire used again in the 60's was called a "Goodyear Blue Steak Sports Car Special" (A pure race tire, that was sometime used on the street too). A thin (maybe 1/4 inch) blue line around the edge of the tire, with 1" lettering in white that said "Goodyear" These were not raised letter's. The whole Billboard or raised white letter's craze, came in the 70's when Goodyear became the official NASCAR tire, and wanted it well known who's tires were on every car in the field, there even came a time (70's) that the Goodyear logo, had to be proudly displayed on all 4-fender's of a NASCAR too. Such was the start of "Big Time" advertising in the racing world. Hope this help's a little. Cheers Tom.

Last edited by Alfa02; 04-06-2020 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: added a word
Old 04-06-2020, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Double post

Last edited by xb-60; 04-06-2020 at 04:07 PM..
Old 04-06-2020, 02:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Tom! So you want pics of the "Goodyear Blue Steak Sports Car Special" tyres?

I do have some that came from Mike Shoen, and had given me permisssion quite some time ago to post them here on CC

The first one is a Cobra Daytona at Spa in 1964
Attached Images

Alfa02 likes this.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Second one is Phil Hill in FIA #142 at the Targa Florio in 1964....
Attached Images

Alfa02 likes this.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:05 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Not Ranked     

Yes Sir, that's what I'm talking about! A US tire Co, remanufactures those tires (I will get the Company name) But you have to Paint/letter the blue streak and Goodyear logo yourself. About 4 hours per tire A friend has two Trans-Am cars, and did all 8-tires in a week's time (40 hours then ?) But those are the correct tire for a FIA, Daytona or SC car Thank you again kind Sir, you always come though for me Glen Cheers Tom.

Last edited by Alfa02; 04-06-2020 at 03:22 AM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: