Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-29-2003, 11:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     
Default Windsor stroker motor options.

Starting a new thread using Rebel1's post on another thread. However, given we are chatting about budgets I was looking at the options. The 377ci stroker can be done fairly cheaply by:
Stroking the standard crank from 3.5 to 3.685. this will leave a 2.12 rod journal.
Fitting mopar 6.125 rods (std big end = 2.12)..narrowed .015"
And...and...shhhhh..do I havta say it...using chev pistons.

All pretty cheap stuff. nothing all that special.

I already have a pair of World Products windsor snr. heads..there are now better heads I know..but I own these and they're not a bad head...leastwise a heap better than the standard heads.

I've also got a new crane hyd rollor cam..I bought this some time ago for a 302 ..its not big but MIGHT just do the 377.

Its advertised duration is 276 intake 284 exhaust .. 533/555 lift...351 firing order...cant be reground tho.

Sooo..all in all I've got a heap of stuff which I'd like to use ..If not..I'd have to sell them off. Prefer to use what I already have tho.

Actually Craig, the thought of the 377 came from the (forget his name) fella you recommended as a good ford motor builder.

Pretty sure I'll be using him to do the job..just gettin my head together on the options.

Old 06-30-2003, 12:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Les,
Any of you guys in the US know how good the Mopar rods are?

I don't know much about the strength of the mopar rods, but I do know that they used to be a popular option before Scat and Eagle flooded the "cast crank" market. If they're as strong as windsor rods, and you can get the crank ground and the rods resized/shotpeened/polished etc for a reasonable price, then I'd say go for it. The 6.25" rod will give you an excellent rod ratio. Otherwise, I'd probably stick with the standard stroke. Your cam and heads will do the job nicely.

My 398 combo is a bit of an oddball combo, using a crank with the smaller Cleveland sized 2.75" main journals. I don't know of anyone that makes a 3.9" stroke in the 3" main journal size.

Tony O'Connor is the guy in Slacks Creek. Very switched on guy when it comes to Fords.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     
Default Tony O'Connor

Thats him Craig..thanks heaps... I must be illiterate..cant find his number in the 'phone book ...do you have it?

Actually, I really dont care if the standard mopar rods are a bit weak..I think new after market rods are available.

Actually, Tony mentioned this combo to me and by chance I found an artical which had been copied from an old Mustang and hot fords magazine.

With ported standard Windsor heads, holly 650DP, and a small cam, this combo is said to be good for 400hp. A good head and roller cam should up that a bit...specially if I put Seq injection and 4 barrel throttle body on it.

Thanks again Craig

Take care
Old 06-30-2003, 12:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

His number is 3290 1606. Have you decided on a computer yet? I'm not trying to sell you a Motec ( ) , but I'm interested to see if you end up using an EEC4 computer, or go with a Delco.

Craig
Old 06-30-2003, 12:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     
Default Computer?

Craig, I was going to use a Autronic
Old 06-30-2003, 05:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Good one! Big Kev's Cobra has an Autronic, and it never misses a beat. I think another twin turbo Lexus is also being fitted with an Autronic. You might want to talk to the White brothers about this. I think they can get good discounts off anything from Ray Hall (the Qld agent for Autronic).

Craig

Last edited by 750hp; 07-01-2003 at 04:05 AM..
Old 06-30-2003, 06:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default White brothers ??

Thanks again Craig..got a 'phone number for them?

Spoke to Tony O'Connor today and am going to get things moving. Will drop my heads in to him first so he can get them done.

As you know, I was going to a 347 stroker and have a heap of bits, which just made the decision to go a 390 that much harder.

The current plan is:
Keep the dart windsor snr heads, Tony will do a job on them but I plan to change these sometime after the car is on the road to a pair of lighter AFR's.
Obtain a 351 block, Tony will stroke this to the 390 whatever.
He is doing some computer simulations to see if the current crane roller cam I have will be useable. If it is, thats what we will use until the change of heads. Then a change of cam as well as the heads.
Obtain a 351 intake with the injector bosses and a 4 barrel throttle body.
Tony will build all this up for me, dyno it etc. He seems to think 450HP will be easy given what I have.

Now, I gotta chat to G-force about their HD T5 kit to install in my WC 7003A to cop that many GG's..or.. offload the box in favour of a tremec.

GRRRR..where does it stop?..I think I'll just lay under it and wait for the neighbours wife to visit.

Take care

Last edited by Rebel1; 06-30-2003 at 06:21 PM..
Old 07-01-2003, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I hope he pays me a spotter's fee..... Seriously though, Tony will build you an engine that you'll love. Be very careful about dropping in to see him. Everytime I walk in there, it's like visiting Ford Heaven. At any time, there might be 4 or 5 motors near completion, each making in excess of 600hp without nitrous, blowers etc. There might be 3 or 4 custom, sheet-metal tunnel ram intake manifolds. Maybe 2 or 3 complete dry sump assemblies. Add in some billet cranks, Brodix and Blue Thunder ProStock heads, and you get the idea. It's a mindblower!!!!

390ish... Has he said what bore and stroke combo he's thinking about. What crank and rods?

If the G-Force T5 internals are anywhere near the quality of their other parts, I would use them anyday over the Tremec. You'll likely save money, save weight AND have a stronger box.

Try Craig White at craig.a.white@team.telstra.com to see if they can help with the Autronic. They are active members in the Cobra club.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: