Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 10-28-2003, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB - 302, T5, VN Rear
Not Ranked     
Default Question for DRB Builders

Hi all, question for anyone out there who has built a DRB using the Torana running gear.

Have any of you had any concerns with the way the steering universal connects to the steering rack ? The top of the steering rack shaft is narrower in diameter than what the universals are made for. Its only a little bit but is bothering me all the same. Have you simply ground a new flat spot at his point ?

Any help appreciated,

Cheers
batdan
Old 10-30-2003, 08:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Hi Batdan,

Just finished the steering on my DRB.

I had the same question and contacted Peter at GT40 Australia, as he now runs DRB.

Basically you just grind or cut the narrow tip off. If you do this you will find that the notch (flat spot) in the Pinion is in the correct spot for the uni joint to fit without any further modifications.

I think the reason it is not in the manual is that some V8 Toranas's already had the modification done and they must have based the manual on one of those.

Let me know if you are still not sure and I'll be happy to explain in more detail or send you a diagram.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for this, this would make sense. Was the intermediate shaft supplied by DRB long enough after the modification ?

How far through the build are you ?

Cheers
Old 10-31-2003, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

The connecting shaft is the only thing left to do to complete the steering.

Looks like it needs to be about 38 cm long (easy to measure once you have the uni joints on). I've been told by Graham Docker (DRB agent in VIC) that the shaft only needs to be mild steel. So I'm just going to get some mild steel rod of the same diameter, cut it to the right length and grind the notches in the end. If you have a grinder it should be a piece of cake.

Then again the DRB price is only twenty something dollars. I just cant be bothered waiting for it to come from QLD.

I purchased my chasis/body kit in December 02. Its now on wheels. Used the torana diff but had it rebuilt with 3.9 to 1 ratio fine spline and LSD. All suspension is now fully rebuilt as are the brakes although I still need to make the brake lines and brackets.

I managed to get a 2002 model XR8 motor and 4 speed auto which has only done 4000km so I will be able to put it straight in without too much modification (will need different extractors and alternator mount brackets etc).

I have drilled most of the holes in the body work for lights etc but also had an accident which I need to repair.

So where are you at. Maybe we can help each other.

Regards

Cameron
Old 10-31-2003, 10:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hi there Cameron, looks like you may have bought the engine and box from the same car I bought my rear end from.
Mine came from a fella out Waverly way in Melbourne, is that where you got your parts from?

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by cameron02

I have drilled most of the holes in the body work for lights etc but also had an accident which I need to repair.
Ooopppsss..... That's the beauty of fiberglass though...
Old 11-01-2003, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

You should check with your Engineer to make sure that mild steel is OK for compliance. In NSW mine had to be made out of high tensile or stainless.

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter
Old 11-01-2003, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I did my steering shaft in bright steel. It's much tougher and is actually easier to machine. It's available from most steel supply places and isn't much more expensive than ordinary mild steel.

Cheers

Old 11-01-2003, 06:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Cameron,

I took delivery of mine last December as well. Things are progressing slowly - I have the front suspension rebuilt, new steering rack , pedal box fitted and pedals aligned, steering column in, door locks on, all the lights fitted, hard brake lines in. I'm about to put some photos in my gallery so have a look if you get the chance.

Sounds like you got a good deal on engine and gearbox. Are the late model engines easy to pick up in Aus ? Is it fitted to the car ?

What are you going to do for wiring ? Did you pick up the complete wiring loom from the XR8.

Cheers
Dan
Old 11-02-2003, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hi all,

Get some pictures on soon.

After seeing the Roarin Forties cars in Missouri at the 'Run N Gun' I really like the look of the 40's. Think I would need a 'Gurney' bubble to fit in though.

Hell they look fast just standing still.

Have seen a GT40 -think it is a DRB?? - up close painted in the Gulf colours and it was also special. I am envious.

Heaters, airconditioning, roof !!!!

Cheers

Bernie
Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 11-02-2003, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, 92 5.0 mustang & t5
Not Ranked     

Hi Dan

I took delivery of mine late 2002, I think mine must have come out in the same container as yours.

Have you upgraded your suspension in any way? ie. bigger swaybars etc. I am upgrading my front brakes to 290mm ventilated & crossdrilled rotors and rear to hq drums,but I am unsure as to how far I need to go with suspension (I plan on doing some club sprints slaloms etc. ) Anybody out there with a completed DRB, I would love to know what you have done as regards suspension.

Cheers

Peter
Old 11-02-2003, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Peter,

I have also gone with 290mm rotors. I have rebuilt the suspension with nolathane bushes and Kings springs but apart from that it is stock.
I haven't fitted a sway bar yet - my car will probably only be road driven but was also wondering what options are available. Is your engine fitted ? Is there plenty of room for the standard sway bar.

Just realised after running all my hard brakelines that I forgot to put in a proportioning valve, oops. The Toranas had a connecting device for all the brakelines that I think was also a proportioning valve - it also had the brake warning system built in - did / will you use this connector? I think I'll just get a Wilwood valve to do the trick as it doesn't look like we are required to have a warning system.

I would also be interested in any photos of completed DRB engine bays as I never know how close the engine will be to various components. I am still undecided on engine.

Cheers
Old 11-02-2003, 03:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Here's a windsor in a DRB. Injection Perfection manifold and Autronic computer. Solid roller camshaft. Nice car!
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2003, 09:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Batdan,

Looks like we got some great suggestions re the connecting rod. Thanks everyone.

The motor came with the engine bay wiring and computers. I later purchased the under dash wiring but dont know wether I'll use it or not. I was lucky with the motor but it was not cheap. $6500 for the motor and $1800 for the transmission. To me it was worth it because I want a daily driver. To me this engine means performance, relaibility and no stuffing around to meet pollution requirements. I have not put the engine in the car yet as its much easier to work on without it. However I hope to test fit the engine by Xmas.

I'm not sure how easy XR8 motors are to get over here but I'm sure plenty of people crash them and there seem to be quite a few on the road.

I saw Alvins car on the weekend (I purchased his wheels). He has just put larger brakes on his DRB. I noticed he also has a sway bar fitted.

I'd be very surprised if you did not need a brake warning system.

Have fun

Cameron

Hi Boxhead,

If you got your rear end from Mario then yes thats the guy.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, 92 5.0 mustang & t5
Not Ranked     

Dan

I am planning to use a VH-VL Commodore master cylinder & the torana proportioning valve.I don`t believe we need to have a brake warning light here in NZ,I am seeing the bloke who will be certifying my car in approx two weeks I will check with him and let you know.

No engine fitted as yet. I have just purchased a 1992 5.0 HO Mustang engine with a t5 gearbox for $4000 complete with wiring and computer, my local auto electrician will wire the car for approx $1000. I have got some one else lined up to sort the engine & computer wiring out.

peter
Old 11-03-2003, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hey,

There's so much activity on this site it makes me tired just reading it. The GT40's will be finished before Xmas at this rate.

Out and driving

Bernie

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 11-03-2003, 01:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush. Lexus quad cam V8, R154 Supra box. Oh what a feeling.
Not Ranked     

Peter
When using the VH-VL Master cylinder it will have the wrong angle in relation to the fire wall. Commodore fire walls are sloping back which makes the cylinder sit level. You may find that your fire wall is verticle which will make the cylinder slope forward.

Proud member of the Bclub Central Coast chapter
Old 11-03-2003, 06:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Here's my DRB Windsor 302 EFI.

Note the air intake mounted on the side giving you enough room to carry your eski between the rad and block - perfect on a hot day!
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2003, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

And one more hanging off the shed's rsj (good job I didn't drop the camera)
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2003, 12:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks everyone, has really been a big help.

Also ....

The Torana master cylinder has two reservoirs, one bigger than the other. I assumed the larger rear reservoir was for the front brakes, but I just looked in the Torana manual and it says the front reservoir is for the front brakes. Is this right ? I guess the manual doesn't lie................ Or does it really not matter ?

Thanks
Dan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: