Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2003, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     
Default My new toy

Well my new car has finally arrived and I couldnt stop smileing all afternoon.
It is still at work tonite sitting on the trailer, I couldnt bring her home because I had no way of lifting it off the trailer.
I honestly cannot describe how happy I am
I have put some pics in my gallery, they are nothing special, just proof that she is finally here

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Good stuff! The bodies always look good on the CR cars. Does it look as good as the photos portray?
Old 10-31-2003, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Not Ranked     

It looks good to me, not haveing had one before I dont really know what kinda finish to expect on the bare car.
I dont think it will take a huge amount of work to make every thing spot on
Now I need to research how many rivets go in the hood scoop.
When you read this Mike can you let me know if your cradle you made for your chassis is ok and if so what dimensions, if not what would you change?

Cruising in 5th

Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Looks good boxhead..now..go give the wife a cuddle cus ys wont be seeing her for a while
Old 10-31-2003, 05:26 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

The wife should be happy.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

Tell Mrs Boxhead she can have the first drive.
then.
Put her in the cobra while it's still on the trailer and take her for a spin around the block.
Old 10-31-2003, 01:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

Must agree with Craig, The finish of that body is fantastic.
It's a pitty they don't have a nice viper blue gelcoat, you could save a heap on painting.
Old 10-31-2003, 05:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi David,

Congratulations! I know how happy you must be.

I've been in Sydney for half the week so haven't been checking in much. I'm home now and I'll put a tape measure on the cradle and send a few pics.

One thing I will reccomend is buying some decent castors with a brake on them. The first set I used the rubber tyres disintegrated with the constant weight.

I saw your kit packed up and ready to go a cople of weeks back. Ian's latest bodies are great, I'm jealous.

Cheers

Old 10-31-2003, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mike I will wait till I hear from you regarding the cradle.
Misses Boxhead (Ronda) is happy too now, becasue as she says she can now see where the money has gone.

I have taken the body off the chassis and the chassis sitting on jack stands for now.

Another Question I have is. Should I leave the body exposed to the sun or should I cover it with a tarp?
If I cover it should I make a frame so the tarp isnt resting on the body?

Reptyl, I could have had the body colored yellow but everyone said this would be a waist of money.

I have allready been sitting on a phone book makeing broom broom noises sitting in the cockpit

Looks like this will turn out to be a great week, played darts on thursday night and I threw a 170 peg out for anyone that knows. Then Friday night my car arrives, hmmm whats gunna happen tonite? (hope it has something ta do with the lotto)

Cruising in 5th

Last edited by boxhead; 10-31-2003 at 11:04 PM..
Old 10-31-2003, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mine sat out in the weather for nearly a year with no tarp. I just gave it a wash and dropped back on the chassis when I was ready.

Cheers

Old 10-31-2003, 11:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

One thing I did notice while takeing off the body is that the inner front guard liners dont sit level with the edge of the chassis, not sure if it should or if I will need to move the body over on the chassis?
I will have to measure afew things when i sit the body back on the chassis.

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-02-2003, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hi all

Hey like the look of the new body. My body a Homebush is in white Gel coat and I have completed the car and left it in white Gel coat.

I rubbed the lines off with 80 grit dry and then wet and dry all over with 600. Now has a dull white finish.

After a few beers I sprayed flat black stripes on it.

It was suggested that I run around for a while this way and bake/cure the glass.

Perhaps you could do similiar

Have fun

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 11-02-2003, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Cradle

Hey there again Mike, when you had your body off did you sit it on something?
I have mine sitting on a timber pallet but have noticed that the pallet is wider than the body so it is sitting on the sills.

I have been thinking about makeing a cradle to sit the body on so it is at a better height for me to work on between doing chassis bits.

Ronda took some pics today while I was sitting in the car makeing noises

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-02-2003, 05:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Boxhead,

I was told to make sure that the body is not placed anyway that allows it to twist or bend.

I placed milk crates under four corners and in the middle of the sills to keep it all level. New glass will twist and take the shape you leave it in, so I guess watch that.

Guess you visit the Milkbar one night..

Again hope you have fun..

I have used button head bolts and nylocks for the scoop and the bonnet.

Sorry I don't have pictures on this 'Forum' but check out the forum 'Cars for sale' etc. and you will see how many they use and how they do the leading edge of the bonnet with screw/rivets/or bolts up to level with the scoop front edge.

The "A" head button bolts are better as they don't pull through the glass or cause stars. Additionally, you take them out for painting etc. Use stainless.

We now have a reason to visit Alice Springs.

If the Sth. Aussie run gets up again.

Cheers

Bernie

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Brings back good memories to see you pic's. I came still remember the excitement when I got my CR home also on the trailer. The bodys are great and need very little to finish off. I had my body off for the last 5mths and put it back on the chassis last week. Thought it wasn't positioned correctly as it was lifted on one side, but I think it is due to movement in the body just sitting on a pallet. I guess it will pull down when I bolt it to chassis. Got seats last week so much more fun making broom broom noises now.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi David,

I put the tape measure on the Cobra trolley and it measures 1.5 meters long by 1 meter wide by 0.5 meters high including the castors. It's made from 75mm x 50mm by 2mm wall RHS tube.

The only things I would change If I built it again would be to raise the side rails that link the front to the back. It's a bit of a squeese to get under them on the garrage creeper.

One thing you might want to also consider is the position of your sump. I built mine with the firebird/camaro rear sump in mind. If you are running the Holden sump it might hit on the front bar. My sump hangs about an inch below the chassis rails and I assume the Holden sump will too.

trolley pic

As for the body, mine sat on a standard wooden fork lift pallett. It supported the entire floor and slipped inside the sills. The back of the boddy flexed down a bit so I supported it with a block of wood. When I dropped it back on there was no movement that I could detect.

My inner front guards aren't even either but with a bit of trimming you will hardly notice. I think the problem is that they are attached to the body in the mould and without some kind of jig it'll be hard to get them spot on in relation to the chassis every time.

Glad to hear you are making broom broom noises already. Leeroy has the right idea with the seats, I keep stealing the old cushion that the cat sleeps on in the shed.

Cheers

Old 11-05-2003, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks for the info Mike.

I have decided I will also make a frame for the body to sit on, it will be the same as the chassis under the floor, with an extension reaching out the back to where the rear corner bolts go through the boot floor.
I hope to then be able to bolt the body down as it is on the chassis so I can fit locks, dash, lights and wireing between saveing $ for the chassis bits.

So the chassis can stay on the jack stands for awhile yet.

I will also find a standard pallett as the one I have is the one the car came on so I guess it is bigger?

Cruising in 5th

Old 11-05-2003, 04:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi guys

The noise from the my side pipes is so loud I cannot hear the vroom vroom noise.

zoom zoom zoom screetch

Bernie

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier - South Australia
Old 11-07-2003, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have now sourced a complete series 3 jag front end for my car, picked it up for $200.00 I dont really know what is a good price but that sounded good to me.

I will rebuild the whole thing anyway with new bushes, joints and so on.

I have a SAAS raceing bucket seat at work that I can buy as a pair at a very good price so I will bring it home this weekend to try for size, (then atleast i will be comfortable when makeing noises).

I cant wait to get back from holidays so I can start on this car

Cruising in 5th