Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2003, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Back in the saddle
Not Ranked     

Mike,

If you fit 17 X 11 and 17 X 8, what rubber would you put on them? I have looked into a set of 17's that are for sale here on the Coast. But in looking at available rubber, there seems to be little available for the 17 X 11" rim. Little in the High Performance or Race category anyway.
Old 12-16-2003, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

It's too bad that Goodyear doesn't make a better selection of LARGE.. raised white lettered tires in 15" & have the white paint up to todays standerds as far as briteness & ware, like their Eagles, ect.... If they made a radial like this..... I would buy in a heartbeat ! I really like the look of the large white lettered tires !
Old 12-16-2003, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Nice looking wheel Cameron.

The Yoko 352's will look great on them... Actually I think the 352's are a great looking tyre...dunno what they are like on the street.
Some-one told me they are better in the wet than the BFG's.

Whats the reason you didn't go for 335's in front?
Old 12-16-2003, 02:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have had the 352's before, they are a reasonably good road tyre. On the 15" rims they provide another level of ride quality due to the huge sidewalls and volume, at the right pressure of course. On the track they can be quite squirmy... fun if you like that type of thing.

But 335's.. I'm not following
Old 12-16-2003, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cameron, have you looked at the tire that Shelby is using ? It's a bias-ply not a radial. If you want orignial in 15", check it out.
Old 12-16-2003, 03:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here's the big Goodyears
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2003, 03:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UK Ram SC. KC-Yates 373, Jerico 5 speed.
Not Ranked     
Default Wheels

Cameron, Aussie Mike,

Thanks I think I will go with the Trigos, I have a guy who brings Farm Equipment back from the States once a year, he will bring them in for me!

Did you bother getting a spare, or do you convert a steel to a centre taper to fit the lug nut?

The 1960's rocked!
Old 12-16-2003, 03:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As far as I am aware Trigo do not make a spare. However PS Engineering do.. and it fit's in the boot (trunk for those across the pond)... however don't expect the golf clubs to go in too...

I am going to wing it until I decide on a second set for events.. bet that statement just cost me a flat on the way back from the tyre fitters
Old 12-16-2003, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Bluddy keyboard

Sorry mate... I meant to ask why you went for the 225's rather than 235's on the front?

The 235/60/15 and the 295/50/15 are about the same diameter.

I'll get the hang of this keyboard yet!
Old 12-16-2003, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have 225's on the front now, and on full lock they -- just --- clear all surfaces. Didn't want to risk a touch.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Cameron,

I'll go with 315/35/17 tyres on the 17x11 rears and 235/45/17 on the front. These have rolling diameters that are pretty close with the rear a little bigger than the front.

Sumitomo make some 315/35/17s at a reasonable price that perform quite well. You can also get Nito drag radials in this size which might be the go for an occasional squirt up the strip.

The knock off adapter can be readily unbolted from the the hub so I can just use a skinny weld racing draglight ore something similar for a spare. The draglights are drilled for both Ford and Chev stud paterns so will suit both my front and rear. In reality though I'll probably just carry a can of fixa-flat as the problem remains of where to put a flat 17x11 inch wheel and tyre once you have changed it? My wife won't be happy about having it sitting on her lap while we drive to the tyre shop

Cheers

Old 12-17-2003, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If you look at the cover pic of an old Snake Tales, there is a pic of Steve McQueen in his 427 street car. He has a rack on the boot lid...

As I am going for the 427 street look, I have considered it, that would solve the "where does the flat go?" question. But I'm afraid I can't yet decide if it is 'cool looking' or just plain 'ugly'..

time will tell..

Tyres being fitted up tomorrow... Look for pics by the weekend..
Old 12-18-2003, 02:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Trigos

Cameron,

The freight you mentioned $2-300 was that AUD?
Just to get an idea of freight to Aus.

I had a set of Arrows wheels on a Cobra I used to own, the Knock ons where three piece wheels and Arrow make their own threaded hub, and import the Lug nuts, top quality product, with the nut and threaded hub fit really tight (these wheels never came loose) - but not anywhere near as nice looking as the Trigos!
Curious to know the fit of Trigos nut on the threaded hub, is it really tight?

The 1960's rocked!
Old 12-18-2003, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The freight is an approximat in AUD... it very much depends on the shipper and the time of year.

Beware the import duty, make sure you calcualte for it.

As for the spinners and the fit... the fit is excellent, an almost perfect metal on metal match (if it were perfect, you would never get them off!).

I have had these wheels on a previous car, they never did come loose. But as I raced a lot, I always had them wired. And besides, the wire adds to the classic look. You can get really good wire tools from most Cobra/MG/Jag restorers.

Good Luck!

Cameron
Old 12-19-2003, 01:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Trigo wheels

Thanks Cameron,

Yes duty is something I overlooked, but its worthwhile with our dollar high at the moment!

I like the 289 FIA wheels, but think I will go for the other wheel, I am building a Mk111 style Cobra, which was basically a smallblock, with the convential 427 road going dashboard etc, so it doesn't really matter what wheels.

I think Trigo makes varying widths and diameters I thought about going 16" for a better selection of tyres, but by the posts it seems they are no better than 15" for tyre selection, and 17" wheels dont suit the cars in my opinion!
I suppose you can still get circuit slicks or tyres for 15"

I would have to say the Trigos would look magic on a nicely built car.

The 1960's rocked!
Old 12-19-2003, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ummm... I don't think Trigo make a non 15" wheel, but no fear PS Engineering make a range with the identical center profile....

Good luck.. send pics...

I will be fitting mine this weekend.

Cameron
Old 01-15-2004, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Wheels

Cameron,

I am ordering my Trigos anyday now, and was wondering about a couple of things, do they supply the lead hammers with the kit?
Also I assume by ordering the wheels and adapters they automatically come with a polished rim and black centre, sorta as pictured?

I have had a reply from Trigo with details for an order, but am thinking of ordering a spare set of wheels which I am awaiting pricing on, for some racing slicks!

Thanks

The 1960's rocked!
Old 01-15-2004, 06:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Hi all

The old guy next door to our house in Geelong has an MGA with a rack on the boot/trunk. It's the same as the Steve McQueen car except it has rubber bases similiar to a drain plunger on each of the four legs.

It's attached with an adjustable tightening strap that clips onto the inner boat lip.

I guess you can take it on/off in a few minutes.

Just an idea. I know the Fix it can stuff really makes a mess in the tyre and should only be driven at 60k's - as if..

Cameron I see that you have fitted in well with the Queensland guys/girls. Good to see.

Cheers all

Bernie

Bernie Knight
Mt. Gambier South Australia.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 01-15-2004, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ant,

the Trigo set up comes in three parts;
- the rims, which if ordered in 427 trim have polished rims and a blue/grey center. The pic I posted does not really show the colour so well. I will try to post a more colour accurate pic today.
- the adapter set
- A lead hammer (a $45 accessory) is not included, but 100% worth it.

You will also note that the Trigo's come in a neutral offset ONLY (3.5 inches from memory). To match the track of the original 427, your rear end will need to be 52.5 inches wide, hub face to hub face (this also allows for the Trigo adapters, they will add .5 inches to the width). From there you will need to measure up the width of your car inside the rear wheel wells to calculate the tyre size you can run.

Bernie,

so far so good, Thanks. Got my Qld Club card and packet yesterday. Starting to finalise the engine rebuild. Should be good to go come winter.

Regards

Cameron
Old 01-15-2004, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cameron, the blue/grey sounds good a bit different than black!

The next big decision is to decide on a spare set of these, and the forever saga on tyre sizing, the bottomline is the range is dismal in 15" and 16" here 17" seem to be okay with fancy Kumho race tyres.

I suppose I can import 15" from Rogerkrause racing, or get Hoosiers here in NZ. Most tyre manufacturers should be able to supply tyres available from the US for a bit more $$

The Dax sounds interesting, there was one here for sale, years ago with a centre backbone chassis etc I tried to track it down, as the UK kit appealed to me but no luck.

Cheers

The 1960's rocked!