Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 01-15-2004, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     
Default T56 & 351w

Would appreciate hearing from anyone with a T56 behind a 351/393 Windsor.

Seems to me that this transmission solves the two problems which seems to exist with the 3550/TKO11 having a very low first gear and/or an unusable overdrive.

Which model T56 fits the 351W bolt pattern?. TCC advise the 1386-000-012 transmission is the one to use, whereas an aussie supplier has recommended a TUET 1260.

Both the above transmissions use a 10 spline input which reduced it's torque down to 400 lb.ft.

Anyone adapted a 26 spline T56 onto a Windsor?
Which is the correct model T56 to use?
Where is the starter mount? right or left side of the car?

Would appreciate comments/recommendations from anyone using this box and what your thoughts are. What diff ratio etc etc.

Thanks in advance
cheers
Old 01-15-2004, 07:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Les,

It my pay to post this one over in the Transmission Talk Forum.

Cheers

Old 01-15-2004, 08:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Gawd...copied to Transmission Talk

Now..how do I delete this thread?

Thanks Mike.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Just leave it there, now you have twice the chance of someone seeing it

Cheers

Old 01-15-2004, 11:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Mike

Just leave it there, now you have twice the chance of someone seeing it

Cheers
Sheez....have I told ya how much I hate it when you Victorians are sooo logical

Cheers
Old 01-16-2004, 01:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Now built a race cobra.
Not Ranked     
Talking which box!!!!

Hi Lez hows it going i recon you should stick with the tremec as i found them to be a great box . i personal found the t 56 in a hsv dunnydoor to be a pig of a box too tall in first and over drives to tall . unless you are going to put 4.11:1 gears in the back it will suck.
Just my opinion.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Hersh's T56 was nice in his Cobra though...
Old 01-16-2004, 06:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi Rebel1,
I sell the GM T-56 that will fit behind your 351 Windsor. I also have the Viper & bellhousing & more.
Mike Forte
781-273-9900
fortesparts.com
508 875 0016
In 1993 Mike made the first conversion of a Ford Tremec to GM 5-speed. It bolts to stock bellhousings w/out an adapter. The FE Tremec, the Mustang adjustable quadrant are originals from Mike.
One of 12 Tremec Elite Distributors worldwide for: T-5, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600 ,Midshifter, Frt shifter, offset Vette shifter.
Est: 1981 selling performance parts to build your dream car...
Old 01-16-2004, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Fellas, thanks for the input.

Hey scotty, as you know I sure do value your advice. So I'm gonna expand a little to see if I can change ya mind

I've got the 3.31 jag diff...I would be willing to change to a 3.55 of more some time later If need be. 295/50/15 rear rubber.

I'll be running a 393 Windsor with maybe 450hp and maybe 430 lb.ft...Cam range will be 1800 - 5800...limit the thing to 6000rpm.

Herewith the TKO11 and T56 ratios:

first 2 3 4 5 6
TKO 3.27 1.98 1.34 1.00 .68/.82
T56 2.97 2.07 1.43 1.00 .80 .62

Seems a lot on this site say that the 3.27 in the TKO is, if anything, too low and hardly useable....mind you, many are using 3.5 or 3.7 rear gears.

Now, I know you dont recognise the speed limit in Queensland of 100Klm/Hr (60mph) but I'd like to cruise in an overdrive at that speed.

At say 100 Klm (60mph) the T56 should pull about 2000rpm in fifth...hopefully the cam wont cause snatching etc at those revs.

And..there is a spare .62 still to go for those odd occasions I get caught speeding.

First gear with the T56 would be
..............3.31 rear 3.55 rear
2000rpm 16mph 15mph
2500rpm 20mph 19mph
3000rpm 24mph 23mph
3500rpm 28mph 26mph
4000rpm 32mph 30mph
4500rpm 36mph 34mph
5000rpm 40mph 38mph

Given the light weight of the Cobra together with the excessive torque, do you not think the thing would pull that 2.97 first, or have I missed something??

After all, the WC T5 many are using have a 2.95 first.

Notice fellas...I debate with Queenslands but argue with those....well... you know who

Last edited by Rebel1; 01-16-2004 at 05:43 PM..
Old 01-16-2004, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via AIM to TheSaint71
Not Ranked     
Default Now we talking.....

Ok guys this is what I've been meaning to ask myself. I know pretty much everything I'll chose in my cobra when I get one but I've been debating lately for I know NOTHING of trannys...

I was told T-56 6 speed needed locator which Assuie Mike took care of.... and Always figured I'd use a Tremec... well I was told the 5 speeds arent geared too great for the cobra and those 4 speed toploaders were more suited as far as the gears go and it was lighter... and then well a T-56 6 speed would rock...

If I had a light cobra with a high reving engine equiped331 stroker... with a small turbo, mean for serious speed and horse power do you guys thin the gears in a T-56 are best or the Tremec or toploader 4 speed...

Forgive my COMPLETE IGNORANCE on trannies but I've thought alot about this and can't crack this.. I dont know anything on all this gear stuff and how it varries in preformance..

Please help, thanks again as usuall you guys rock!

Jamin
Old 01-16-2004, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Jamin....My questions were directed at OZVENOM because he is one of our local Guru's so I'm sure interested to see his response to my latest thread.

With regard to shifter location. I know Aussie Mike has perfected this mod and I have discussed this issue with him...however...The length of the 012 T56 from front of bellhousing to shifter is 671.5 mm.

I measured my T5 with bell housing attached and it's 661mm. (495.7 trans length plus about 166mm for the bell housing)
Seems my shifter position will be about the same.

I dont have the dimentions of the forward shift location (inspection plate) of the T56 and it may be that it could be too far forward and may interfere with my dash board in the first and third gear positions. I think this subject depends on the actual kit and motor location in relation to the seating location.

Anyways....I hope this helps a little and keep an eye on this thread cus I'm looking forward to OZVENOMS response.

It may take a while to get his answer tho because I know he now does the dishes at his place...It's the only way he can get his hands on that S/S scourer pad he puts in sidepipes.
cheers

Last edited by Rebel1; 01-16-2004 at 06:51 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: