Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 03-23-2004, 08:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival. 6 litre Chev
Not Ranked     
Default Radiator to angle or not to angle

Mike M and myself have been discussing the merits of angling the radiator back so we can get a straight air intake into the throttle body. The way I see it is that if you angle the radiator you in effect increase the resistance through the radiator and as such slow the air down which should mean it picks up more heat. This is probably countered as less air will get through the radiator for a given speed.

We are both running alloy radiators , mine being a two row unit.

Any thoughts please on relative merits of angling the radiator versus vertical mount??

Thanks,

Phil
Old 03-23-2004, 09:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     

By placing on an angle you effectively reduce the surface area of the radiator and therefore reduce the cooling efficency of the radiator. I am using the standard VN radiator which I have mounted vertically but you guys are using high efficency radiators with 2 rows and probably more surface area than a VN. I wish I had the space between top of radiator and body to give a nice open clean air intake which you would be able to get when you mount yours on an angle. To answer you question "who knows".
Old 03-23-2004, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

My local radiator bloke said it would not make too munch difference. Thermo fans must work pretty good. When you look at a lot of modern cars, they have bugger all air flow but seem to stay cool with no problems. I'm sure I could leave the engine running on my stationary Magna all day in 40 degree heat and it would not be a problem.

If your going to be racing it then I suppose air flow would be more important.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I'm going to bore a 4" hole right through the middle of the radiator and run the intake pipe through there.

Cheers

Old 03-23-2004, 09:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I recall reading a book by the late Carroll Smith who was well respected in the metalurgy and fastener industry about race car preparation. Read it cover to cover a minimum of 2 times, it is a technical bible, titled "Prepare to Win" In it he stated that if possible the radiator should be inclined at a 30 degree angle. The idea was to present more fin surface area to the incoming air supply, and to reduce/lower the overall height of the opening to the radiator thereby reducing drag. I believe he originally worked in some capacity with Shelby during the original design of the Cobra, hence the layed back radiator.

Rick

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way

Last edited by Rick Parker; 03-23-2004 at 09:33 PM..
Old 03-23-2004, 09:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rick,

I just purchased (but havent read) all of Carroll Smiths books there is some good info in the ones I have read.. I will look up that section.

Thanks,

Phil
Old 03-23-2004, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Wow Mike,
That's really "outside the square thinking" or should I say "through the square thinking".

I guess you have already thought about this but I'll state the bleeding obvious anyway. I think you will have to do something to stop the heat getting from your radiator to the intake tube, otherwise your cold air intake will be a warm air intake.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike,

Stay calm. There must be a better way.

Phil.

ps. Upholstery is finished. IT comes home tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I've got the hole saw ready to go. Not sure what I'm going to do about the coolant leaks?

I'm thinking leaning the radiator back is definitely the go. I hadn't built my upper mounts as I was still deciding which way to go. there is certainly no shortage of room behind the radiator to lean it back.

with the intake tube running straight over the top of the radiator and into the grill opening area there should be quite a bit of positive air pressure at speed. Might even get a ram air effect out of it. Also since the throttle body is on the front of the manifold it will be a very straight shot from the air cleaner to the manifold. I'll make sure there is some heat shielding between the top of the radiator and the intake pipe.

Good news on the interior Phil!

Cheers

Old 03-23-2004, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Mike, why don't you just ditch the rad alltogether and be air cooled like a VW Beatle

You'ld have to travel pretty fast to keep it cool though

Cheers
Old 03-23-2004, 11:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

Don't mock Al.

When in the UK recently, I came across a Porsche 914 powered Cobra (pretty good space for luggage at the front end).

The same guy also had a Rover V8 Cobra - lucky guy.
Old 03-24-2004, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I personally would have thought that since we arent trying to lower the frontal area of the car then there wouldnt really be a great benefit in laying the radiator down?

Congradulations on the progress Phil, dont forget to show us all the pics.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by PCC

When in the UK recently, I came across a Porsche 914 powered Cobra (pretty good space for luggage at the front end).
That doesn't surprise me. I often buy UK Which Kit?. Full of interesting stuff. I'm often amazed at what our UK cousins get up to. Makes the kit industry here in Oz comparatively small

My RCM has the radiator on an angle as well. I've seen some Cobras with sheeting either all around the rad or just above and below it to direct the airflow. People have told me that a Cobra's footwells can get pretty hot if you cover completely around the radiator so I'll just cover the top & bottom.

As for cold air intake, I'm planning on running the intake tube around the rad by running it through the inside of a wheel arch
as there aint really enough room b/w the rad and the wheel arch.

Cheers

Last edited by NASSTY; 03-24-2004 at 06:20 PM..
Old 03-24-2004, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Al, thats how my intake runs.

Makes for plenty of space between the block and radiator.

The only problem I find is that the airflow meter is pretty close to the bonnet and when accelerating it does rub against the bonnet.

Also makes room a little tight for changing plugs etc.

Otherwise, am happy with it.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Radiator to angle or not to angle ??

Hiya Phil...Next time you're driving in freezin Melbourne, stick your hand out the window with ya palm horizontal.

Then...slightly angle ya palm up or down .. notice any difference in temperature??.

Dont do it for long tho cuz ya hand will freeze solid.

Cheers
Old 03-25-2004, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RC_Sports Car Replica. Dodge Viper Blue, Candy apple Red stripes 408_Cleveland, 2v heads, twin Gas Research throttle bodies, Full manual stage 3 C10 auto, Jag 3.07 rear.
Not Ranked     

Hi Reb'

3-month expiry period up on your new years resolution?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Hiya Jas

Well mate..life just wasn't the same without some form of interstate rivalry. I was suffering withdrawal symptoms and some were wondering if I was ill and were sending " get well cards"

Re the thread subject tho...my answer is correct. A slight incline actually increases the cooling effect. Specially if one uses the new dimpled radiator tubes which break up the laminar flow across the tubes.

Its just that the effects of the experiment are more obvious in southern states.

Anyways...what are you doing up this early. Did ya wet the bed or get kicked out?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Les,

I am going for the angle. gotta get that 4" inlet to the TB somehow.

Get to drive my Cobra for real this weekend. Yahoo.

Then its back into the garage to fit alloy fuel tank, sidepipes and 4" inlet to TB. Got some pin drives coming also.

Really happy with interior. Any colour as long as its black.

Photos soon.

Regards,

Phil.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Phil,

At least you get to drive yours this weekend.

Mine's at the Upholsterers getting decked out in leather (not black, but pretty dark charcoal grey).

Supposed to collect today, but the job's been slowed up. Can't even drive it as is as no seats!

Anyway, gives me an excuse to get some house reno work done.

And I have a chrome fire extinguisher getting delivered today - cheap frills!

Enjoy your drive!
Old 03-25-2004, 04:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Peter,

Grey on blue should look good

I ve been looking for chrome extinguisher in Sydney but only find red. Your vehicle is looking good in the gallery.

Is it as low as it looks. Whats the lowest point.

Mine sump is modified to 8.5 litres plus gates and baffles and is lowest part of car. I have madeup 6mm chq plate to protect it.

Iam trying to keep 100mm under lowest point so I can drive over house bricks (thrown by people not impresed with noise).

Regards,

Phil

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: