Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2004, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 99% it will be Classic Revival,Might have to join the boys on the DARK side.
Send a message via ICQ to STASIK A4 Send a message via AIM to STASIK A4 Send a message via Yahoo to STASIK A4
Not Ranked     
Question New to this...

Hello guys/girls

I have always been a huge fan of this wonderfull machines...and im planing onstarting to build one soon....now i know i want to end up with 427 in it...
Can some one else please tell me all i need to know as a newbie what to look for were to look for it... what would be ideal set up to run and what would be the common thing ie: jag front and rear ends... ect...
as much help is apresiated....im preaty sure you all were in the same shouse as me at once stage and i know its hard for you to explain everything in details....I have heard that the best cobras are robnell cobras.... and the reason would be????? who should i go and see and what i should ask them?????
Lots of info is great.....

What is it like to drive one? comfy or not?
Whats the ride quality would be? hard/ soft?
would any of you melb guy be kean enough to take me for a small drive?

Thanks for all input
Im located in melb....
Old 04-03-2004, 02:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance AUS002, Chev 5.7 with hairdryer
Not Ranked     
Talking Yippie

Ok lads can i take him first ???

Gday im in melb, Essendon in fact, i have a mild, tame cobra, great for cruising, and great for a first time ride. Its similar to a robnell. But thats all in how much you want to invest.

If you would like a ride send me a pm ( private mail ) i'll then contact you if you like.

Its about now some guys in S.A gunna say no dont do it, and another the pres of the club, one also who deals in feet, and one whos cars getting close to being on the road, but if you gunna have a ride, you gotta make it one that makes you appriciate what these things can do.

Mind you i think there are alot better than mine, and thats the beauty of these fantastic cars, every one is individual, and great to each that owns them, although dont tell my finance co. or he will want to have a drive cause they recon they own part of it...
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2004, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Hi there Stasik a4,

Welcome to all the madness that is the world of Cobra's.

If you want to feel what it is like to be in one of these cars then take Garrett up on the offer (I did) WOW great car and weell assembled.

If you want 1 with a 427 in it then I think you will have to go second hand as I think it would be very very difficult to get a 427 through the requirements for new car rego.

Saying that there are a few choices you have regarding engines.

Good luck with whatever you choose and by all means ask asmany questions that you have here as we will all try to help (just remember that American regulations are ALOT easier than Australia's)

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1991 RMC 1966 427SC replica, 302 Cleveland, Edelbrock manifold with 600 Holley double pumper.
Not Ranked     

Welcome STASIK A4!

My best suggestion is to come to a Cobra meeting and meet the people who are building them, have made them, have bought them, modified them and broken them!. The meetings are very casual and you will meet some really helpful people with lots of experience and knowledge of Cobras'.

The Cobra Club of Victoria meets every first Thursday at the Mercat Hotel opposite the Queen Victoria market at 7:30pm new members are always welcome. If the weather is good usually several members drive their machines in for the meeting. (A good chance to look at some different cars and go for a ride!). Send an email or a private message to me and see if we can organise a ride from someone nearby, although I see Garret has given you an offer already that will definitely bring a smile to your face.

Event days are starting to slow down as the weather closes but there will be drive days that will be organised in the coming months.

Good luck with your journey!

Regards

Tony Cram
Membership Manager Cobra Club of Victoria
Old 04-04-2004, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival kit. LS1 motor. T56 Tremec 6 speed. 17" replica Halibrand wheels.
Not Ranked     
Talking

Heck I've been building one for nearly 12mths and still haven't been in one, I'll take you up the offer Garrett for a balst any day.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Oh boy!
Old 04-04-2004, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

My only advice if you are going for a ride in Garretts Cobra... bring a spare pair of underpants with you.

Cheers

Old 04-04-2004, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB 2000 - FORD Powered 302EFI
Not Ranked     

The choice here in Aus is pretty good including:

DRB, Superformance, Classic Revival, Python, Robnell, Harrison etc etc.

First decision if you are serious is:

Buy or build:

If buy, like any car take someone along who knows about Cobra's - they may look the part, but if the builder has cut corners then you will have to spend the dosh to bring it up to scratch.

Personal experience says that a bloody looking car at $50,000 may still have problems underneath such as wiring, suspension etc. Remember it is pretty easy to get fanatical about these cars to a point that all your spare dosh ends up in the Cobra Pit

The other buy option is a turnkey car such as DRB, where they build it you drive it - cost is obviously dearer.

Price wise - second hand $30,000 to $85,000 - remember you get what you pay for.

Notwithstanding the above, follow the car mags for quite some time and you'll find a good Cobra that simply doesn't sell as there are not many buyers with that amount of dosh in their back pocket so giving you some bargaining power.

Build Option:

Not qualified to speak here, but will say that with all the rules and regulations you will run into serious issues if you stray away from the guidelines i.e. 427 forget it!

Although satisfaction of building such a beast is no doubt exciting, the cost of a decent build your own car must be in the region of $30 to $40K unless you cut out all the chrome!

I'm sure the builders will chirp in regards the cost.

I have a theory that whatever way you go, at the end of the day you should have a car that won't lose its value simply because its getting harder to privately build these things therefore lifting the second hand value.

How many times do you see a brand new BMW at $90,000 knocked down to $40,000 in two years. At least the Cobra (if built using recognised donor parts) will at least hold its value.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2004, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

The only way you will get a 427 cobra is to buy second hand or to drop one in after it is regoed. Doing the later will make the car technically not road worthy which is fine if you don't get caught but insurance may be a problem.

So if you really want a 427, the second hand mkt is for you.

If you want to build there are many manufacturers to choose from.

In Melb you have (from most to least $$) Robnell, Superformance, Python & RCM. From hearsay both Robnell & Python have slowed down production - not sure exactly what that means but you should find out. Superformance is turnkey minus only (everything except engine, transmission & wheels is done) b/c they are imprted from South Africa, so that pushes up the price. Robnell is really good also, using carbonfibre in their bodies etc but they also engineer alot of there own parts so getting cheap doner parts is limited so that's why they are the most $$. RCM's are one of if not the cheapest kits to build b/c most of the kit is from donor parts. It's a hands on kit, requiring you to do most of work eg hanging doors, boot, bonnet preping the body etc so that's why it's cheap. I don't have a trade background and so far I have found it fairly straight forward to do but I have had to learn ALOT very quickly. Laurie Bingailas (RCM) is very helpful and will guide you through the build. Expect to shell out $30-40K depending on what you can do yourself. Also ADR 79/00 requires an engine to be almost new so that has pushed the build price up.

Don't know too much detail about other kits in other states but I would have a look at Classic Revival in Sydney or ask their unnofficial agent in Vic Aussie Mike (Mike Murphy)

If building choices of engines is now limited to Gen3 or Boss 5.4 - Both of these motors can generate serious HP but the Gen3 is becoming more popular with builders b/c of light weight and packaging. Boss is three feet wide across the beam & most manufactures still haven't figured out how to fit one yet. But when they do there are bound to be some compromises b/c a cobra just ain't big enough to fit one.

Whatever you do, ask lots of questions and feel free to come along to the Vic Cobra Club so you can talk to like minded folk

Cheers
Old 04-04-2004, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, 4 wheels, two doors
Not Ranked     

BTW Garrett,

I've got a spare set of undies
With the queue lining up for a ride perhaps you could start charging for the privilage so to pi$$ off the vipers from the bank more quickly?

D:
Old 04-04-2004, 07:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Re: New to this...

Quote:
Originally posted by STASIK A4

now i know i want to end up with 427 in it...
Do you want a 427 just for the number or to have the original engine in it? The 427 Side Oiler was an awesome motor in its day but it has been well and truly usurped by the newer motors out there using more modern technology. Finding a rebuildable 427 in the first place and then rebuilding it will be nigh on impossible in Australia and you will most likely have to bring one in from the US. All in all the 427 is a very expensive proposition.

If it's just a cubic displacement you are after there are plenty of options. The 351 Windsor can be taken out to 427 CI as many guys in the US and a few guys here have done.

If you don't have a GM aversion the Chev LS1 can be taken out to 427 as well. The full house HSV Monaro super car runs a 427 cube LS1.

Your best chance for getting 427 cubes into a Cobra with the changing rules is to buy an already registered Cobra and modify it. The current move from Euro 2 to Euro 3 emissions at the end of the year will make buying or building a big cube V8 engine for a new Cobra much more difficult.

Personally I'm praying for a change to these stupid laws for Hot Rods and Kit Cars. We need to some how pressure the government to pull their heads out of their butts.

Cheers

Old 04-04-2004, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by NASSTY

BTW Garrett,

I've got a spare set of undies
With the queue lining up for a ride perhaps you could start charging for the privilage so to pi$$ off the vipers from the bank more quickly?

D:
Might put a dent in the tyre bill too

Old 04-05-2004, 03:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

STASIK A4

Welcome to the mad house.

All the fellas above have given you their thoughts, and notice that they all agree. Forget the 427..you wont need it.

My personal feelings are that the cobra does deserve 350ci. Either in GM or ford format. If only because the cobra has a reputation of being an overpowered sports coupe. So why not continue that perception?.

Having said that, the EFI 302 Windsor in it's various guises can make a lethal street machine. The 347 ci version Mike has in his ute is one hell of a motor if one can find one in a wreckers yard.

Aftermarket bits are freely available for that motor so one can have the outward looks of a legal small block with anything up to 347 internals.

As to building or buying?..If you are engaged in a profession which demands heaps of your time and prevents you having regular and prolonged time in the shed...forget building. I can assure you the frustration of not spending time working on it will be intense.

If you're going to buy S/H,...heed PCC's advice as it is easy to fall in love with an externally beautifully machine and then find you spend a small fortune personalising it to your standards.

In the end, you will end up with a car which weighs approx 2500lbs (1140kg), and goes like hell with whichever of the above engines you care to use.

We all hope the authorities see the error of their ways and free up our choices with regard to engines.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 99% it will be Classic Revival,Might have to join the boys on the DARK side.
Send a message via ICQ to STASIK A4 Send a message via AIM to STASIK A4 Send a message via Yahoo to STASIK A4
Not Ranked     

Well i took up Garett on the offer to take me for a drive.....and all i can say is WOW the power of the beast is just unbelivable...the handeling is just superb....

At the end of the day all i can say is "I WANT ONE I WANT ONE NOW"

Thanks Garett for the drive

Mike thanks for the tour of your baby.... cant wait to see mine at the same stage as yours....
Old 04-05-2004, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

--0-0--

"justbetter Hire Cars"

Hi Aussie Mike

The Feb/March edition of Street Rodding magazine had a back page article that indicated that all pre 1949 vehicles can now be registered including kit type street rods such as a Brownlee body and Rod City Chassis.

Larry O'Toole the owner editor indicates that there has been a change in registration policy.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for Kit Builders throughout Australia to join the Street Rodders and obtain a similiar position.

Have you heard or read similiar??

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026

Last edited by BMK; 04-05-2004 at 06:41 AM..
Old 04-05-2004, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie Knight

--0-0--

"justbetter Hire Cars"

Hi Aussie Mike

The Feb/March edition of Street Rodding magazine had a back page article that indicated that all pre 1949 vehicles can now be registered including kit type street rods such as a Brownlee body and Rod City Chassis.

Larry O'Toole the owner editor indicates that there has been a change in registration policy.

Perhaps this is an opportunity for Kit Builders throughout Australia to join the Street Rodders and obtain a similiar position.

Have you heard or read similiar??

Cheers

Bernie
I hadn't heard this but it's excellent news!!

The Street Rod Federation is much better represented than the Kit Car builders and have a better chance than we do of pushing this stuff through. Perhaps we need to start getting the Cobra clubs together and present a case to the authorities with what the Street Rodders have achieved as an example. We should also be talking to the Street Rod guys to work out an approach that might have a chance of getting through.

I don't think we need to ask for the same rules as the street rod guys but relaxing the requirement for a euro 3 spec engine would keep us afloat. If Cobras could still be built using the Ford EFI 5.0 or similar that's plentiful in wreckers around the country that would be enough to keep our hobby alive.

Where do we go from here? I might have to drop a mail to Mr O'Toole and ask his advice. Ted Robinette (the Guy that writes the tech section for Street Rodding) bought my old milling machine, I might have to drop him a line too.

Quote:
Originally posted by STASIK A4

Mike thanks for the tour of your baby.... cant wait to see mine at the same stage as yours....
My pleasure STASIK. Good luck with the research, it's part of the fun of building a Cobra. Talk to as many Kit builders as you can and see what's around. You might like to drop Adrian S a note as he's just got his G-Force Cobra on the road. Get along to the next club meeting as you will find plenty of RMC cars and Laurie Bongalias' Cars (RCM) and be able to chat to their owners/builders.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 04-05-2004 at 07:07 AM..
Old 04-05-2004, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Rebel1

Having said that, the EFI 302 Windsor in it's various guises can make a lethal street machine. The 347 ci version Mike has in his ute is one hell of a motor if one can find one in a wreckers yard.

Les,

Remind me to keep a close eye on you when you visit. I'll be checking to see if the motor's still in my ute before you leave.

On a serious note though, I think hood clearance might be even tighter with the 5.6 motor from the Pursuit. The Tickford manifold is even bigger and bulkier than the normal 5.0 manifold.

Cheers

Old 04-06-2004, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally posted by Aussie Mike

Les,

Remind me to keep a close eye on you when you visit. I'll be checking to see if the motor's still in my ute before you leave.

On a serious note though, I think hood clearance might be even tighter with the 5.6 motor from the Pursuit. The Tickford manifold is even bigger and bulkier than the normal 5.0 manifold.

Cheers
Hehehe....ermm...Mike!.....have you checked under the bonnet recently?.

Might have a huge manifold Mike...but hell...does it go or what?

cheers
Old 04-06-2004, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Glass, XR8 5.0L EFI, T5, XJS LSD Rear end.
Not Ranked     
Smile

Hello All,

In reply to your registration requirements Bernie

I have been watching www.hot-rod.com.au/benchracing
forum for quite a while now. These street rodders mention our Cobra kits and their rods quite often with regard to building specifications etc.

It does appear that some of the rules have changed already as the the RTA are trying to get "national" consistancy throughout Australia.

Dotars web page is NATIONAL GUIDELINES FOR THE CONSTRUCTION AND MODIFICATION OF STREET RODS IN AUSTRALIA

Bit of a shame that one off street rod builds and one off Cobra builds are not the same in the eyes of DOTAR

Cheers
Lyn
Old 04-06-2004, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Lyn

Agree wholeheartedly with your comments.

Where too from here?

I guess Mike's comment of getting people together is a good start.

In the interim, I will chase up the Web. site that Larry refers to in his article. Will 'Post' it here.

Aussie Mike

When is Les "Rebel 1" coming down to see you?. May cruise over.

Talk soon

Cheers

Bernie
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026